null

1 hour ago, cptavim said:

?

Microsoft's Lumia 950 devices have USB-C with a 3.1 Gen 1 implementation. And also, Apple's iPad Pro also has some form of USB 3 onboard.

It's not impossible to do higher than USB 2.0 currently.

It mostly comes down to cutting costs and R&D laziness that USB speeds are not higher on mobile devices. Just like Google has made full device encryption mandatory on Nexus phones while using slow NAND and disabling hardware acceleration that cripples device performance effectively hamstringing themselves.

22 hours ago, cptavim said:

I'm a nexus fan myself, I just don't understand why they don't include microSD card slots.

Please, for the love of everything that stores data, google... PLEASE GET THE POINT. Nice to see that scamscum did this right, for once

I got one of those on my moto x play but it's been too long since Android does SD cards that's barely usable: I had to get a third party app to force Android to rescan my SD card for new files otherwise pics or songs that I transferred wouldn't display on my apps, ridiculous and infuriating.

-------

Current Rig

-------

null

null

null

1 hour ago, cptavim said:

Hmm. Haven't had that happen to me before. Also in Android 6.0 you can now merge sd card storage and onboard storage as one, so maybe that will fix the problem.

But I don't want it merged: I wand the slower stuff like media or large games on the SD and the stuff I need quickly like browsers and other apps on the faster internal storage.

-------

Current Rig

-------

null

13 hours ago, cptavim said:

Wow, I didn't know that. Good job for them! And its good that there USB 3 for the iPad Pro, but I doubt that any apple devices will get USB C soon. Apple does like their proprietary stuff.

Yeah, Apple will most likely stick with Lightning for the foreseeable future. 

Regarding the iPad Pro: I don't think the USB 3 stuff is active currently. I just recall a tear down revealed that it had a chip for probably USB 3.1 gen 1 in it but I don't think it's utilized currently so I think any benchmark will show USB 2.0. 

Merely posting that for the record before any iPad Pro user screams that file transfers are slow as hell. 

Regarding the Lumias: they need the bandwidth and feature set of USB C 3.1 to run Windows 10 Continuum (wired that is, can also do wireless Miracast), so Microsoft had no choice in that. 

By the way, I do believe that the new power delivery is completely independent of bandwidth and others feature sets such as display output. Case in point being the Nexus phones having the port and using Power Delivery 2.0 as far as I know. Maybe I've misunderstood your post if that's not what you said. 

So ugly, and that black makes it even uglier. 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

More info:

original.jpg

Also, in Spain it will cost 700€ the S7 and 800€ the S7 Edge (same prices as the S6).

i7 5775c @4.1GHz // 2x4GB 2400MHz CL10 // R9 285 @1120/1575MHz // SSD MX100 512GB // Z97M Gaming // RM550 // Prolimatech Megahalems+ NF-P14s Redux // Cooletk U3

wtf, no Type-C is a no-go for such a flagship device... this only slows the grow down.

really sad, i see no reason why they still would use microusb.

3 hours ago, Cedimedi said:

wtf, no Type-C is a no-go for such a flagship device... this only slows the grow down.

really sad, i see no reason why they still would use microusb.

If you really can't see a reason, you're not seeing enough. Let me show you a big reason. GearVR, they released it a few months ago, why would they make a pretty new product obeselete? That would piss off more people than happy.

13 minutes ago, thecreativename said:

If you really can't see a reason, you're not seeing enough. Let me show you a big reason. GearVR, they released it a few months ago, why would they make a pretty new product obeselete? That would piss off more people than happy.

Include adapters? Sticking with micro B is ridiculous at this point. A company in this business needs some foresight. 

Definite no go for me to purchase any new device without USB C. If it truly is the case, then it's definitely not Samsung who will get my money on my next upgrade. 

2 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Include adapters? Sticking with micro B is ridiculous at this point. A company in this business needs some foresight. 

Definite no go for me to purchase any new device without USB C. If it truly is the case, then it's definitely not Samsung who will get my money on my next upgrade. 

Do you not know how the phone goes into gear VR? I'm no engineer, so maybe I can't see a genius idea, but I can't see how to make an adapter for it. And it's not time for USB-C on mobile devices, there is no benefit other than a sturdier connector.

8 hours ago, thecreativename said:

Do you not know how the phone goes into gear VR? I'm no engineer, so maybe I can't see a genius idea, but I can't see how to make an adapter for it. And it's not time for USB-C on mobile devices, there is no benefit other than a sturdier connector.

It's adjustable brackets from what I can tell. That means you can slip an adapter in before you secure your phone. It's made to fit the Note 5, so there's space. 

Sturdier and more practical is not reason enough? Power Delivery 2.0? At least 5 gigabit speeds at least - if implemented right? 

There are a lot of optional features but most of them can be implemented and have been so already, so there is no excuse. 

On February 20, 2016 at 1:35 AM, Trixanity said:

It's adjustable brackets from what I can tell. That means you can slip an adapter in before you secure your phone. It's made to fit the Note 5, so there's space. 

Sturdier and more practical is not reason enough? Power Delivery 2.0? At least 5 gigabit speeds at least - if implemented right? 

There are a lot of optional features but most of them can be implemented and have been so already, so there is no excuse. 

Atleast 5gigabit speeds? All the android phones with USB-C are running on USB 2.0. The USB 3 chip apparently draws too much power. I'd rather not have that. So currently, USB-C is not practical, the only advantage is its sturdier.

4 minutes ago, thecreativename said:

Atleast 5gigabit speeds? All the android phones with USB-C are running on USB 2.0. The USB 3 chip apparently draws too much power. I'd rather not have that. So currently, USB-C is not practical, the only advantage is its sturdier.

5 gigabit speeds if implemented right (as I mentioned in my post). There are many more advantages to USB C than sturdiness.

The chip shouldn't be draining much power (if at all) when not in use, so that sounds like a hoax to me. Any source on that?

And the failures of manufacturers in early adoption is irrelevant. Microsoft have shown the way and the rest will follow suit if they'd spend some ressources on R&D and a little extra on BOM cost, but alas, it's simpler to just stick with the old.

The entire industry is moving towards this standard for multiple reasons - not just "lol it's sturdy".

It's merely a failure on Samsung's part that they didn't have the engineers to pull it off this time around. In the same way they failed to improve upon their storage solution. They should have one-upped Apple, instead they're stuck with UFS 2.0 and because they added the SD card slot, it's limited to 32 GB (compared to the S6 going up to 128) and they haven't even bothered to solve that limitation. I mean what the hell have they been doing this last year when working on the successor?

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

5 gigabit speeds if implemented right (as I mentioned in my post). There are many more advantages to USB C than sturdiness.

The chip shouldn't be draining much power (if at all) when not in use, so that sounds like a hoax to me. Any source on that?

And the failures of manufacturers in early adoption is irrelevant. Microsoft have shown the way and the rest will follow suit if they'd spend some ressources on R&D and a little extra on BOM cost, but alas, it's simpler to just stick with the old.

The entire industry is moving towards this standard for multiple reasons - not just "lol it's sturdy".

It's merely a failure on Samsung's part that they didn't have the engineers to pull it off this time around. In the same way they failed to improve upon their storage solution. They should have one-upped Apple, instead they're stuck with UFS 2.0 and because they added the SD card slot, it's limited to 32 GB (compared to the S6 going up to 128) and they haven't even bothered to solve that limitation. I mean what the hell have they been doing this last year when working on the successor?

The entire industry is not moving towards USB-C, only a handful of devices have it, and it doesn't even give any benefits over micro B. Failure on samsung's part? You think it requires some great engineer work to switch port types? As I said before, USB-C on phones don't provide any advantages, switching to USB-C from micro B would literally be just soldering a different connector. Industry is not ready for USB-C.

29 minutes ago, thecreativename said:

and it doesn't even give any benefits over micro B

Reversible connector.

Sturdier connector.

Possibility for DisplayPort alternative mode (Seems like Samsung has completely dropped MHL on the S6, and back then we had the issue of 5pin vs 11pin connectors)

I think that's more than enough reasons for wanting type C. On top of that, they could have made it USB 3.0. They already implemented that in some phones but because people thought the connector was stupid they went back to 2.0.

14 minutes ago, thecreativename said:

The entire industry is not moving towards USB-C, only a handful of devices have it, and it doesn't even give any benefits over micro B. Failure on samsung's part? You think it requires some great engineer work to switch port types? As I said before, USB-C on phones don't provide any advantages, switching to USB-C from micro B would literally be just soldering a different connector. Industry is not ready for USB-C.

Then the industry will never be ready. If more and more devices transition towards USB-C that pretty much means the industry is moving that way.

If you truly believe that USB-C and Micro B are on par, then you can go tell the USB consortium that they're a bunch of idiots for designing a new connector that doesn't bring anything new to the table nor is an improvement on existing designs. But let's be honest, there's no basis for that argument.

I didn't say it required a great engineering feat to switch connector, but that only adds to the failure. It's kinda like me taking out the trash. It doesn't require much but if I fail to perform such a simple task while on my way out, then I've obviously failed somewhere along the way. No way around it. But again, it's so simple to do, so why didn't Samsung do it? The Gear VR angle? They could even launch a new SKU later on that only replaces the connector. Done. Even do an upgrade program where you can get your existing Gear VR exchanged if you upgraded your phone. Given the probably meager sales, I doubt it'd be a huge deal either way.