Acer Aspire One Should I Put Linux On It Instead Of Windows

Chaos Network

I would like to know if it would be beneficial for me to put some sort of Linux OS on this instead of Windows due to the hardware restrictions? It is an Acer Aspire One D270-1824 with an Intel Atom N2600 (1.6 GHz, 1 MB L2 cache) 1 GB of DDR3 memory(ram), a 320 GB HDD, and a 10.1 inch display (resolution unknown as of now). If it is beneficial, I need to know if I can get skype and google chrome on Linux.

Kole

Edited by colonel_mortis

"If you gon be bout it, be bout it bout it" ~ Gavin 'itsjusta6' Simon

I play games - Look at my profile for specs

I love memes. I make bad memes, but I like dank memes, who doesn't?

I am good at editing videos and pictures, feel free to message me if you would like some work done.

Thanks!

Kole Overby

Owner At:

Chaos Network

DanTheNali Videography

Employee At:

Neighborhood Mechanic

Heinen's Powersports

2 hours ago, Chaos Network said:

I would like to know if it would be beneficial for me to put some sort of Linux OS on this instead of Windows due to the hardware restrictions? It is an Acer Aspire One D270-1824 with an Intel Atom N2600 (1.6 GHz, 1 MB L2 cache) 1 GB of DDR3 memory(ram), a 320 GB HDD, and a 10.1 inch display (resolution unknown as of now). If it is beneficial, I need to know if I can get skype and google chrome on Linux.

Kole

Why don't you read about Chrome Linux compatibility it's somewhere out there on the interwebs.  Now I don't personally see a benefit to Linux, but the fan boys will assault me for that so I'll quietly walk away.  Though if you're having hardware issues, I don't know anything that wouldn't support Windows unless it's for Mac OS!

"As Individuals we are weak like twigs but when we come together we become a mighty faggot"

There is both Chrome and Skype for linux.  The desktop Skype client is heavily outdated so I would use the web version. Something lightweight like Lubuntu or Xubuntu would run very well on this.

Lord of Helium.

Why not dual boot both?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

One option you have is to create a Windows USB boot stick - it would load Windows from the USD stick and let you have a working version to play and test with, without ever having to install any files. You'll then get to see first hand if the hardware is powerful enough to run that OS at a reasonable speed.

If not, I think the suggestion of Lubuntu made above is a superb one. It's the lightest, most cutdown (I believe) version of Linux and will run on really quite old and traditionally outdated hardware. It's what I run at a local charity shop with a PC that was built in the stone age (* not literally, but it's pretty old now!)