Motherboard turns on, but won't boot....Monitor reads no signal

Go to solution Solved by TidaLWaveZ,
2 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

There is a processor power header on your motherboard, in the pics it doesn't look like it's plugged into the power supply.

I was just typing that.

So I'm building a cheap multi-tasking/gaming machine and it seems like I have all the parts together.

HOWEVER, once assembled and turned on, the server board won't boot. Its a S5000PSL model server board using dual 3.16 xeon 5460 quad core cpu's. I seemingly have everything hooked up right..

- I checked so that the server board receives the right mount of power with a Smart 650W Thermaltake power supply (very quiet fan).

- The manual said the power supply could not use anything less than 550W power supply...so I used a 650W

- I made sure I had the right power on/off switch....

- The 12v 4pin power to the cpu and the main 24pin connector are placed correctly.

- The status lights are all (two) steady green

- the video card + power supply fan are running (the cpu fans are not...but I think that's not until it boots)

- When it turns on the 2 from the left (next to mouse and keyboard input) blinks 3x blue...and so does the red light on the power switch (blinks 3x red)

However, it retruns to the solid grren state on both the server board and the power switch.

I'm not understanding why this build won't turn on. Please help me out, thanks!

Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 1.53.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 1.53.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 1.54.23 PM.png

IMG_1957.JPG

IMG_1958.JPG

IMG_1959.JPG

IMG_1960.JPG

Plug the VGA cable into the external GPU if you have one.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

You need an external GPU because Xeons do not have integrated graphics.

EDIT: Unless the board has onboard graphics.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

16 minutes ago, evilarceus said:

So I plugged it into a gpu and it's still a no go :( 

...it stays at the solid green light state and still no signal.

image.jpeg

17 minutes ago, evilarceus said:

So I plugged it into a gpu and it's still a no go :( 

16 minutes ago, evilarceus said:

So I plugged it into a gpu and it's still a no go :( 

Just now, CompArt said:

So I plugged it into a house and it's still ano go :( 

What kind of RAM are you using?

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

6 minutes ago, evilarceus said:

What kind of RAM are you using?

I'm using...

8GB 2x 4GB PC2-5300F DDR2 ECC REG Fully Buffered Server Memory

It's on a server board...(pretty cheap)

If the board didn't have integrated graphics, it wouldn't have a VGA output.

Is that memory you mentioned "registered DDR2-533 and DDR2-667 FBDIMM memory" ? If not the board doesn't support it.

That doesn't mean that other memory won't necessarily work just that intel doesn't claim that it will work.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

7 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

If the board didn't have integrated graphics, it wouldn't have a VGA output.

Is that memory you mentioned "registered DDR2-533 and DDR2-667 FBDIMM memory" ? If not the board doesn't support it.

That doesn't mean that other memory won't necessarily work though.

It's DDR2 667and it says "REG" I'm guessing that means registered. But it has to be "and DDR2 533"?

8 hours ago, CompArt said:

It's DDR2 667and it says "REG" I'm guessing that means registered. But it has to be "and DDR2 533"?

No, I just quoted part of the sentence.  It has support for both 533 and 667. If you have registered 667 it should work.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

If you haven't got it to boot yet, try using a single stick of ram.

Does it give you any indication that it's posting, like a beep or fans speed slowing?

There is a processor power header on your motherboard, in the pics it doesn't look like it's plugged into the power supply.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

I should have looked more closely at your picture and saved us both a lot of effort.

The 4pin connector is not the CPU power. You need to either use 2 4pins or an 8pin (depending what your PSU has) to power the white 8pin connector on the top right between the CPU and data ports.

2 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

I was just typing that.

35 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

So I did that and you guys are right! .....HOWEVER :(....

now the green light has turned yellowish and the blue light next to it (both next to the keyboard and mouse input) is blinking and the red light on the switch is blinking as well (all constantly and in sync with each other.)

All the fans turn on now. The CPU fans do a little slow down then speed up. Now the blinking light problem persists....

58 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

If you haven't got it to boot yet, try using a single stick of ram.

Does it give you any indication that it's posting, like a beep or fans speed slowing?

Now the fans turn on and do a little slowing before speeding up. But still no booting.

Are you still using the video card? If you are then try to use just the on board video.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

1 hour ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Are you still using the video card? If you are then try to use just the on board video.

Yeeeah I did both. Still no signal. :\ I'm trying to see if I can find out what the different color lights mean. (They used to blink now they stay solid) it's the greenish (now yellowish) and blue light near the keyboard and mouse input. (Status and ID LEDs) and the red light on the switch. The good news is that is does turn off and on with the switch. (All the fans run.) it's just there's still no vga signal for some odd reason. It's probably the lights telling me something.

9 hours ago, CompArt said:

So I did that and you guys are right! .....HOWEVER :(....

now the green light has turned yellowish and the blue light next to it (both next to the keyboard and mouse input) is blinking and the red light on the switch is blinking as well (all constantly and in sync with each other.)

When you switched the 12V over to the 8-pin processor power connector, did you then leave the 4-pin P12V4 connector disconnected, or do you also have a 4-pin CPU power connector going to it? With a dual-CPU board like this, you may actually need the extra 12V connected.

4 hours ago, Runefox said:

When you switched the 12V over to the 8-pin processor power connector, did you then leave the 4-pin P12V4 connector disconnected, or do you also have a 4-pin CPU power connector going to it? With a dual-CPU board like this, you may actually need the extra 12V connected.

^ This is correct.  Hopefully your PSU has another 4pin. :o

3 hours ago, Runefox said:

I left the 4-pin 12V4 disconnected when connected the processor power connector (ppc).

The only 4 pin 12V4 connector I have turns into the 8-pin I used for ppc.

Can I use a 6+2-pin pcie connector on the ppc since it turns into 8-pins as well?

1 hour ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

^ This is correct.  Hopefully your PSU has another 4pin. :o

I doesn't! >.< ...BUT... I can make another 8-pin (6+2) however, its a pci-e connector....will that work?

1 hour ago, CompArt said:

I left the 4-pin 12V4 disconnected when connected the processor power connector (ppc).

The only 4 pin 12V4 connector I have turns into the 8-pin I used for ppc.

Can I use a 6+2-pin pcie connector on the ppc since it turns into 8-pins as well?

Unfortunately not; The 12V PCI-E connector has inverted wiring from the 12V PPC. Do you happen to have another power supply lying around? If so, you could wire it up and jump the power-on pins with a staple or a paperclip to turn it on manually. Check this diagram and jump the PS_ON to one of the COM (black/ground) pins.