AMD or Intel for Nas ?

Tedol

Most for AMD cpu support Ecc-memory, soo make NAS on Intel or AMD and why ?! 

Just now, jpow007 said:

why not just buy an all in one solution for Synology NAS? 

Cost and redundancy 

Intel will give you better performance/power consumption.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

I like intel because you can pick up an old Xeon for very cheap on eBay. Most Xeons support ECC and Virtualization so they are great for NAS purposes.

by the time you shell out money for a processor that supports ECC memory you will be in the same ball park as the All in one solution I believe unless you are using older parts

Just now, Bgordy2013 said:

I like intel because you can pick up an old Xeon for very cheap on eBay. Xeons support ECC and Virtualization so they are great for NAS purposes.

With Option we have a problem ? 

Just now, Tedol said:

With Option we have a problem ? 

I don't understand your question. Did you get hit with autocorrect?

39 minutes ago, Bgordy2013 said:

I like intel because you can pick up an old Xeon for very cheap on eBay. Most Xeons support ECC and Virtualization so they are great for NAS purposes.

Yes, and if this is going to be used strictly for network storage then you don't need an ultra powerful CPU.  You should be able to just grab a Xeon for an older chipset at a pretty fair price.  Just make sure you can find a motherboard with a compatible socket.

I had a hard time finding an X58 board for this Xeon I got a great deal on a couple years back.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

15 minutes ago, jpow007 said:

by the time you shell out money for a processor that supports ECC memory you will be in the same ball park as the All in one solution I believe unless you are using older parts

Not really. An 8-Bay Synology NAS (without any drives) is like $1000. I can build something faster for like $300 and that's true at every price point. (consumer) Pre builts will ALWAYS be more expensive and less versatile than a custom built. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

30 minutes ago, jpow007 said:

Except AMDs and most of the mainboards support ECC memory out of the box, so new or used, you're still coming out ahead compared to an all-in-one NAS. If you don't need hot-swap bays, you can save money on that front as well.

I'd actually recommend the AMD front for a NAS simply because you can get a mainboard/processor combination for a very good price that supports DDR3 memory and USB 3.0. And again it supports ECC out of the box -- I've got 16GB of ECC DDR3 on the way and I paid a little over 110USD for it. Plus you're more likely to get a standard board rather than some custom form factor server board. And you'll have more readily available cooling options. On this, I'd say to go with an APU as well to eliminate the need for a graphics card.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6