What is should I upgrade first?

Geowas

So I am not really happy with my gaming performance and I would like some advise on what to focus on if I am upgrading.
This is my current rig

CPU: Intel i7 975 EE, clocked to 4.27

MB: Asus P6T deluxe

GPU: Asus GTX 690 4(2)gb

Ram: 12gb corsair 1333

HD: Samsung 850 SSD

Budget for upgrade?

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

depends if you do mostly gpu bound things then try getting a new graphics card. if not then try upgrade your platform to like a lga 1151 or 1150 kind of platform 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

9 minutes ago, Geowas said:

So I am not really happy with my gaming performance and I would like some advise on what to focus on if I am upgrading.

what kind of games are you playing and at what resolution?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Budget is up in the air, while I obviously dont plan to biuy 3 titans I can spend quite a bit of money if its worth it.

Games I play are all sorts of stuff, everything from RB6 siege and MMOs to hearthstone and Hots. I look forward to play games like Warhammer total war and hitman.

The mainboard and processor should the first thing you tackle. Stick with the 690 for now until you can afford to upgrade that. Trying to upgrade the GPU first might not see as large a performance benefit as you might like.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

Yeah I'd start with a Z97 board, a quad-core like the 4690k, and an 8GB stick of RAM. Then worry about the GPU.

i5 3570k @4.2GHz

Corsair H100i GTX 

Asus P8Z77-V PRO 

OCZ 650W PSU

Nvidia GTX 760 SSC 2GB

Corsair Carbide 500R

SanDisk PLUS 120GB SSD

Seagate Barracuda 500 GB HDD

1 hour ago, Geowas said:

Is a 4k cpu better value than skylake?

Kind of depends on what you need it for. If you really don't need much computing power (and just about anything you get will be worlds better than what you've got) you don't need Skylake. The 4th Gen CPUs have a lot more selection at pretty much all price points so you can get what you need. Skylake only has 2 or 3 choices plus their overclocking versions. 

Definitely go with a quad core though, whatever 4th gen chip you go with. I'd say an i5 would do wonders for you.

If you don't plan on overclocking, get an H97 board and a "non K SKU" processor to save more money.

i5 3570k @4.2GHz

Corsair H100i GTX 

Asus P8Z77-V PRO 

OCZ 650W PSU

Nvidia GTX 760 SSC 2GB

Corsair Carbide 500R

SanDisk PLUS 120GB SSD

Seagate Barracuda 500 GB HDD

I definitely plan on overclocking, will look out for a 4th gen and see the prices, thanks for the answers