HDD not showing in Windows

flibberdipper

Kay, so I went to make a VM for Windows 10 with VMWare Workstation and it didn't launch. So being a normal person, I restarted and BAM it worked. But, it couldn't write to the D: drive, which has mysteriously gone missing from Windows. It spins up as per usual, and it comes up in the BIOS, but Windows doesn't seem to be aware of its existence whatsoever. So what the actual fuck gives? I have HUNDREDS of gigs of games on it with THOUSANDS of hours of play time total, and I really don't want to lose it and pretty much be out of a drive, since I don't have the money to replace it.

And before you say "well maybe its ded huh lel," it isn't. Everything seems to be picking it up other than Windows.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Have you checked Windows drive manager? 

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Go into diskmgmt.msc and see if it shows up there. If it does; try assigning a drive letter.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Just now, tmcclelland455 said:

Gee... I dunno... Last time I checked I don't just look at explorer because I'm not an idiot...

Hey now, no need to be rude about it. If you know troubleshooting, you know you start with the basics. Doesn't matter who you are or what you know.

Anyway, the drive gets picked up by other OSes, then? What OSes / utilities have you tried? Are there any devices in Device Manager in an error state, like a SATA controller? And just to make it clear, the drive itself isn't showing up in Device Manager at all, correct? How's the System log in eventvwr.msc look? Any errors or disk-related warnings?

24 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Gee... I dunno... Last time I checked I don't just look at explorer because I'm not an idiot...

If we automatically assumed that anybody posting here had done even the most basic of troubleshooting steps, 90% of the threads that are eventually answered would never get resolved.

Core i5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce | MSI Z170 Krait Gaming Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400 | NZXT S340 Red                                              EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Razer Blackwidow Tournament | Logitech G600 Razer Kraken USB                                                                                                            If you want me to see your post, please remember to quote me!

26 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Tried switching which SATA ports it's on? Got another PC to test it in? 

It's not the ports. And now, by the force of magic, that drive is back... At the expense of my freaking scratch disk, which was working fine. >:(

23 minutes ago, Runefox said:

Hey now, no need to be rude about it. If you know troubleshooting, you know you start with the basics. Doesn't matter who you are or what you know.

Anyway, the drive gets picked up by other OSes, then? What OSes / utilities have you tried? Are there any devices in Device Manager in an error state, like a SATA controller? And just to make it clear, the drive itself isn't showing up in Device Manager at all, correct? How's the System log in eventvwr.msc look? Any errors or disk-related warnings?

I'll be as rude as I damn well please, kay?

Besides the BIOS, I've tried just about every Ubuntu distro under the sun, as well as Fedora. And there are literally no errors in anything anywhere.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)