Would this affect gaming?

lovingGamer

So yeah, i'm planning to put my OS on HDD and put some games on SSD, so will it be okay if i keep OS on HDD? will it affect gaming?

Only load times.

Just now, manikyath said:

but... putting games on your SSD literally doesnt matter in 90% of cases, why even bother?

But that doesn't make sense? If your storage is faster read times, it would read the game files faster, therefore making it load faster? Or am I missing something?

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

your load times will improve, thats it

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

but... putting games on your SSD literally doesnt matter in 90% of cases, why even bother?

you're much better off using your SSD for your os, so everything is much more snappy.

i have an ssd with all my games on it and here are the games i saw a noticable difference in when i switched to solid state. CS:GO, Kerbal space progam, gmod, GTA 5, Star citizen, arma 3, BF4. so it makes quite a difference

2 minutes ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

But that doesn't make sense? If your storage is faster read times, it would read the game files faster, therefore making it load faster? Or am I missing something?

it loads faster, and from there on, you might as well be running off of a hard drive.

3 minutes ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

Certain games just take the same amount of time to load. I have GTA V on my SSD for instance whereas he has it on HDD and i'm normally inot the game 5-10 seconds quicker. Not the case in all games however. 

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

Putting your HDD as a storage instead of the OS is actually a good idea, since it would put lower load on the hard drive. 

Have tested this with 2 of my HDDs before I made all my systems solid state based for OS and HDDs for general storage

5 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

i have an ssd with all my games on it and here are the games i saw a noticable difference in when i switched to solid state. CS:GO, Kerbal space progam, gmod, GTA 5, Star citizen, arma 3, BF4. so it makes quite a difference

but was it really that major of a difference ? compared to a HDD

CPU:Intel Core i5 6600K 3,5GHz  Motherboard: Z170 PRO GAMING  RAM: HyperX X Fury black DDR4 2x4GB

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7800 series Case: some random shit tho it is gonna be upgraded Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Display: Asus VS278Q Keyboard: Roccat Arvo Mouse:Razer Naga 2015 Edition OS:Windows 10 

Just now, ismma99 said:

but was it really that major of a difference ? compared to a HDD

it was about a 90 second difference in KSP probably being the highest and about a 10 second difference in CS:GO but thats everytime you see a loading so it adds up, hence why i think its worth it

Just now, Cactusneedle_18 said:

it was about a 90 second difference in KSP probably being the highest and about a 10 second difference in CS:GO but thats everytime you see a loading so it adds up, hence why i think its worth it

idk id rather put it on the os becuse i dont think that waiting an extra couple of seconds on a game hurts but thats just my prefrence and besides if you have a smaller ssd that might become a problem to.... since GTA 5 isint to small of a game

CPU:Intel Core i5 6600K 3,5GHz  Motherboard: Z170 PRO GAMING  RAM: HyperX X Fury black DDR4 2x4GB

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7800 series Case: some random shit tho it is gonna be upgraded Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Display: Asus VS278Q Keyboard: Roccat Arvo Mouse:Razer Naga 2015 Edition OS:Windows 10 

The only games I have on an SSD are Civ V, Elite: Dangerous, and Star Citizen, simply because the load times are long enough as they are.

That's really all they do fundamentally. They improve load times but not performance in any meaningful way, simply due to everything being loaded into RAM before the game starts and thus procedurally loading from there on. An SSD reduced the amount of time it takes for that to happen, but not by much for most games.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

6 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

SSD really makes a difference in loading time. Used to play Crysis 2 on my Alienware 18 on a 7200RPM HDD not full or nearly full, took about 10-15 seconds to load.

So I decided to plop in an 850 EVO, took 5 seconds to load and 3-4 seconds on the 850 PRO wow.

*Edit: Changed my HDD to SSD too, because my Alienware 18 is 24/7 on and it had a hard drive failure due to overheating!!! :(

Edited by Sapphire Jasper
additional info

In my opinion, the benefit to having your OS and storage-sensitive desktop apps like Adobe software on an SSD is greater than the benefit of having games on an SSD. This is partially due to just how small my SSD is by today's standards, but I'm quite comfortable keeping a select two or three games on my SSD and the rest on mechanical storage.

14 minutes ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

Well, there's just more factors than just storage performance. Your CPU, memory/VRAM/page file, and sometimes network speed (if multiplayer) are also involved. Basically, everything. How much the game values the performance of each of the components depends on how the game is optimized, and in some cases storage just isn't what's slowing you down.

I wouldn't personally put the figure at 90%, though. You're quite often shaving at least a few seconds off of your loading times by running off of an SSD… Windows benefits quite drastically and consistently from it, though.

2 minutes ago, ismma99 said:

idk id rather put it on the os becuse i dont think that waiting an extra couple of seconds on a game hurts but thats just my prefrence and besides if you have a smaller ssd that might become a problem to.... since GTA 5 isint to small of a game

well my stance is OS > Games (i have both on my 500GB SSD [the only drive in my PC]) but im just trying to argue that having an SSD for games makes a pretty considerable difference

4 minutes ago, Sapphire Jasper said:

*Edit: Changed my HDD to SSD too, because my Alienware 18 is 24/7 on and it had a hard drive failure due to overheating!!! :(

lol alienware laptops are shit, i had one before i build my PC and now i use it for school because i have no other laptop :(

16 minutes ago, manikyath said:

it loads faster, and from there on, you might as well be running off of a hard drive.

HDD can cause microstuttering, depending on the data-streaming system and how much data needs to be streamed.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

3 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

well my stance is OS > Games (i have both on my 500GB SSD [the only drive in my PC]) but im just trying to argue that having an SSD for games makes a pretty considerable difference

well if you have 500gb of ssd then yes but im only around 240gb and i use an extra HDD 180gb to fit my steam games since i mostly play battle.net games i use that on my ssd becuse the only thing thats on my ssd is os obs and editing software and world of warcraft and then the rest goes to my HDD becuse i like to keep things clean from my ssd that might be just how i like it idk :S

3 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

lol alienware laptops are shit, i had one before i build my PC and now i use it for school because i have no other laptop :(

Yeow. But so far, there has been quite an improvement in reliability. I had an M14X R1 and I was fed up.

Only minor issues the past 2 years due to human error. 

However, yes, if I have the choice, I would kinda have a mobile desktop like LTT's Ultimate 18 core and Titan X in a shoebox! xD 

3 minutes ago, Monarch said:

HDD can cause microstuttering, depending on the data-streaming system how much data needs to be streamed.

It can happen, but at this point HDDs are still ubiquitous enough that I'd personally consider that a symptom of poor optimization. Developers probably shouldn't be assuming the average player can install their 30–50 GB games on flash storage at this point. That may be more reasonable in 5–10 years.

2 hours ago, Sapphire Jasper said:

Yeow. But so far, there has been quite an improvement in reliability. I had an M14X R1 and I was fed up.

Only minor issues the past 2 years due to human error. 

However, yes, if I have the choice, I would kinda have a mobile desktop like LTT's Ultimate 18 core and Titan X in a shoebox! xD 

i have that case with a 970 and 4790k and its still quite a hassle to go between my moms house and my dads (maybe because i have 2 monitors)