My Hard Drive is low on disk space.

AlanAlan

My hard drive is low on disk space and I just bought a external drive. What can I move to the external drive to free up some space?

Miscellaneous documents and files. If you've mainly got programs, uninstall some of them as you can't move programs to external drives (I think).

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

Might be worth running a Disk Cleanup + Ccleaner program to get rid of some tempory junk that may have accumulated. 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Just now, sushisharkjl said:

Miscellaneous documents and files. If you've mainly got programs, uninstall some of them as you can't move programs to external drives (I think).

You can but you shouldn't

Just now, mcfloxxx said:

You can but you shouldn't

You can move programs? I was under the impression that you could only install them onto the disk; either way it's going to be infuriatingly slow.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

Just now, sushisharkjl said:

You can move programs? I was under the impression that you could only install them onto the disk; either way it's going to be infuriatingly slow.

As far as I know you can

Well, your drive speed has already been impacted, so no fixing that, and since deleting falls off a disk only truly deletes them if you write with zeros, you can't really fix much.

I recommend moving Documents, Pictures, Videos, and Music.

If programs is the storage killer, uninstall the owns you don't use, and try and find alternatives to the REALLY big ones.