2.4ghz vs 5ghz

Verblink42

ok so if there is a router with a 2.4ghz speed of 500 on some router and then you look at the 5ghz speed which is also 500, is this worth buying or should i go and spend a few extra dollars and get on with more speed on 5ghz or would this be fine?

3 minutes ago, Verblink42 said:

ok so if there is a router with a 2.4ghz speed of 500 on some router and then you look at the 5ghz speed which is also 500, is this worth buying or should i go and spend a few extra dollars and get on with more speed on 5ghz or would this be fine?

there you go

edit: a video speaks more than a thousand words. just sayin'. just kidding im lazy

3 minutes ago, Verblink42 said:

Get 5GHZ, use the 5 network in close range and 2.4 in long range. 

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

2.4 GHz and 5 GHz is simply the frequency band the router can work on. If I recall correctly, 5GHz can handle higher speeds but has less range due to higher frequency (wall penetration etc.) and has more channels available (28 instead of 14), so you don't conflict with any neighbours. To utilize it, the devices you want to connect to it must support 5GHz WLAN. I'd go an check how crowded your 2.4GHz channles are (if you live in an appartment) and go with 5GHz, if its less crowded. Speedwise, those numbers on the boxes are best-case values anyway and do highly depend on various other factors, mostly the location / your flat layout. In addition, I thought 802.11n was capped at 600MBit anyway?

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

What is your usecase? Will you be transferring files over Wifi? and What is your current Internet Speed?

56 minutes ago, Verblink42 said:

5 Ghz will have less stuff that interferes with it. 5Ghz is great if your in a crowed area, where their are tones of WiFi networks setup. Generally 5Ghz is faster. Look at every AC router, 5Ghz is generally the faster band. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.