i7-2600 or fx-8300

Taavi626

Hello all

I want to improve my pc by changing CPU. Right now i am using Amd Phenom II x4 b50 with GA-78LMT S2P rev5.0 with Beta Bios (Link to Motherboard:聽http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4125#ov). so first question would be, i know CPU support list shows me FX-8300 CPU, which is pretty nice, but does this motherboard actualy works with this cpu without being bottleneck for CPU and GPU?

Okay now what i actualy looked for more but budget kinda critical for that is to get i7-2600 with motherboard and get better performance of it since it is very good CPU to have still, only drawback to get this thing actualy, its kinda overpriced i 聽think. CPUboss comparison聽is kinda intersting聽http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-2600-vs-AMD-FX-8300

So what u guys think what would be better choice? To get FX-8300 and hope my motherboard would actualy work with it well and get more instruction set extensions聽or to go i7-2600 to get little bit more performance and pay more for it?

2 minutes ago, Taavi626 said:

Hello all

I want to improve my pc by changing CPU. Right now i am using Amd Phenom II x4 b50 with GA-78LMT S2P rev5.0 with Beta Bios (Link to Motherboard:聽http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4125#ov). so first question would be, i know CPU support list shows me FX-8300 CPU, which is pretty nice, but does this motherboard actualy works with this cpu without being bottleneck for CPU and GPU?

Okay now what i actualy looked for more but budget kinda critical for that is to get i7-2600 with motherboard and get better performance of it since it is very good CPU to have still, only drawback to get this thing actualy, its kinda overpriced i 聽think. CPUboss comparison聽is kinda intersting聽http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-2600-vs-AMD-FX-8300

So what u guys think what would be better choice? To get FX-8300 and hope my motherboard would actualy work with it well and get more instruction set extensions聽or to go i7-2600 to get little bit more performance and pay more for it?

It supports the FX 8300, however the i7 2600 flogs the hell out of it in every single way.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Also just FYI, CPUboss is unreliable.

PMSL

Depends on the use and if your board will support OCing with beefy VRMs.

If you want to render or edit videos or stream then the 8300 will probably pull ahead. If you need 8 threads that is.

for general gaming the 2600 will be better UNLESS you OC the 8300

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280聽 3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

It supports the FX 8300, however the i7 2600 flogs the hell out of it in every single way.

Not really. 2600 is locked and non-OCable and also old as hell. 8300 OCed to 4GHz will be the clear winner

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280聽 3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

yea i heard that before also that CPUboss is unreliable. I choose those by looking Passmark benchmark list actualy

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

so u suggest me to get i7-2600 with motherboard?

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Not really. 2600 is locked and non-OCable and also old as hell. 8300 OCed to 4GHz will be the clear winner

That's still a no. So what if it can't be overclocked? Just look at the motherboard that FX 8300 would be running on. And the i7 2600 is better for all games even against heavily overclocked FX 8320 and 8350.

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Taavi626 said:

so u suggest me to get i7-2600 with motherboard?

Yep, to get semi decent performance out of the FX 8300 you'd need to overclock it, which requires a new motherboard anyway as your current one really won't handle an FX 83** at 4GHz safely.

PMSL

That's still a no. So what if it can't be overclocked? Just look at the motherboard that FX 8300 would be running on. And the i7 2600 is better for all games even against heavily overclocked FX 8320 and 8350.

Not really. An 8350 can easily surpass the 2600.

Just now, don_svetlio said:

He's getting an FX 8300, and really, in what games+multi threaded programs would that be? (Not synthetic benchmarks-I've personally found that they don't tell everything). Also check the CPU support list for his current motherboard-it only takes 95W TDP CPU.

PMSL

You can't even use that motherboard with that chip and expect to overclock it.聽It's got a crap power phase delivery (4+1).聽You can hope to run it on stock frequencies and get lucky with a minor OC.聽

The i7 is a way better option, but you'd probably be better off with a recent generation i5.聽

You have to get a new motherboard either way, is my point - might as well go intel.聽

Just now, Dabombinable said:

He's getting an FX 8300, and really, in what games+multi threaded programs would that be? (Not synthetic benchmarks-I've personally found that they don't tell everything). Also check the CPU support list for his current motherboard-it only takes 95W TDP CPU.

80% of modern games use 8 threads because of consoles.

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

cpu support list ends at 8300 mate.

i am using right now 130w tdp cpu and it works kinda.

Just now, don_svetlio said:

80% of modern games use 8 threads because of consoles.

Lol, I can quite easliy call BS on that. And you forget just how good Sandybridge still is.

PMSL

You're sure you can't get an i7 2600k? Because that beast can definitely beat the shit out of any AMD processor!

(Mine is currently at 4.5GHz after years of service)

1 minute ago, ManIkWeet said:

You're sure you can't get an i7 2600k? Because that beast can definitely beat the shit out of any AMD processor!

(Mine is currently at 4.5GHz after years of service)

not into overclocking since its not great for lifespan of cpu

1 minute ago, Taavi626 said:

i am using right now 130w tdp cpu and it works kinda.

Its only a 95W TDP CPU, inline with the maximum CPU TDP of your motherboard.

PMSL

Just now, Taavi626 said:

That just depends on whether or not you stay under Intel or AMD's VID (stock voltage) limits.

PMSL

Its only a 95W TDP CPU, inline with the maximum CPU TDP of your motherboard.

okay thats makes sense of my 1 problem what i have what isn't important :D

FX is quite pathetic in general, and without OC'ing it will get regularly beat by an i3.聽

So, unless you're just looking for a slight boost in performance to hold you over for a short period of time, going FX is an extremely mediocre option.聽

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

9 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

i kinda failed with replies but no聽worries.聽

15 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

You can't even use that motherboard with that chip and expect to overclock it.聽It's got a crap power phase delivery (4+1).聽You can hope to run it on stock frequencies and get lucky with a minor OC.聽

The i7 is a way better option, but you'd probably be better off with a recent generation i5.聽

You have to get a new motherboard either way, is my point - might as well go intel.聽

mhh i5 gen 4 i assume what are u talking about. But i kinda love idea to have 8 cores cpu. I really can't tell would i play with it since i have only 460GTX SE 1gb 聽gigabyte hehe.

Reveal hidden contents

i kinda failed with replies but no聽worries.聽

mhh i5 gen 4 i assume what are u talking about. But i kinda love idea to have 8 cores cpu. I really can't tell would i play with it since i have only 460GTX SE 1gb 聽gigabyte hehe.

Fall for "having more cores as better" then, but it's not.聽

11 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

FX is quite pathetic in general, and without OC'ing it will get regularly beat by an i3.聽

So, unless you're just looking for a slight boost in performance to hold you over for a short period of time, going FX is an extremely mediocre option.聽

i am talking about 2times more cpu performance what i have right now so um yea its not slight hehe.聽