How and what to learn?

Mullen_S

So the title says it all, I'm looking to learn some programming for web development and I'm not 100% sure on what to learn. I was thinking of learning HTML, CSS, Java, c#, ruby, and maybe ruby on rails but I'm not sure on any of them. Also, I would like to know what the best way to learn is because I was thinking of just learning on codecademy but I have seen people say on this forum that it's not the best way to learn.

I'm a beast

best way to lern is by doing, getting a shit load of errors and then googeling how to fix them then getting more errors and so on untill it works, HTML is not that hard and relly awesome but you will probably get more use out of something like Java or C#

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

The best and simple website to learn programming is w3schools.com, best language is Java (not script) easiest to earn money for coding HMTL/CSS or add more PHP/JavaScript but this two is kinda difficult. If you will study C# its just a waste of time I rather choose spending my time learning Java than C#, because for me C# is a bit older and Java is much more easier to understand and very efficient for your future career as App Developer or just personal purpose. And the coding between C# and Java or the concept or Logic of programming in both language or what ever you guys want to call it, its THE SAME only the codes are different but logically its the same.

45 minutes ago, JacobKS said:

The best and simple website to learn programming is w3schools.com, best language is Java (not script) easiest to earn money for coding HMTL/CSS or add more PHP/JavaScript but this two is kinda difficult. If you will study C# its just a waste of time I rather choose spending my time learning Java than C#, because for me C# is a bit older and Java is much more easier to understand and very efficient for your future career as App Developer or just personal purpose. And the coding between C# and Java or the concept or Logic of programming in both language or what ever you guys want to call it, its THE SAME only the codes are different but logically its the same.

microsoft are currently doing a massive push for c#, it's far from "old" and it's actually a much better language than java in my opinion. even still totally off topic.

HTML 5 and Css will be your front end, maybe java sctipy if you want that "interactive" feel. PHP/Mysql for the back end.

php is not much different from java/c#.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

It all depends on what you want to do.

If you want to go into webdev (creating websites) like me, you will need to learn HTML, CSS and JavaScript first. Plus jQuery, which is technically optional, but nearly everyone uses it instead of some JS functionality. Then, to those languages, you'll need to learn different technologies like jQuery, Angular, SASS or Jade - those are just examples, and depend on what you like, what you want to do, what other technologies you use etc. That's frontend.

For backend, so server-side, you usually will need to learn another language, unless you use JavaScript for backend like me. In most cases, you will need to learn a language because of a framework, not the other way around. So if you want to use Rails, you will need to learn Ruby, not that you will need to learn Rails because you want to use Ruby, if that makes any sense. For the rest of general backend, you will need to learn databases, so SQL (which are very similar) or no-SQL (which can be very different). Then, add to it many different technologies and general Linux knowledge.

I know it seems like a lot, and it is in a way, but many technologies you can learn in one day. For a more detailed explaination (which is really great), see this:

16 hours ago, JacobKS said:

There are so many things wrong with this post I'm not sure where to start, so I'll start in the beginning.

w3schools contains many errors, so it's not recommended to learn from there. You really can't say that one language is "best", all of them have their advantages and disadvantages, and all of them suck in many ways. There is a large market for Java indeed, but where I live, there are 10 times more C# .NET jobs than there are Java ones, so it also depends on where you live. Both C# and Java are the easier-than-C-but-still-powerful languages that are the go-to for general programming. Also, Java (1995) is older than C# (2000), which makes your post even more stupid. I also found Java to be one of, if not the most difficult languages.

Start with html/css then move to javascript and php.

I suggest taking the course on Codecademy and then download atom/notepad++ or whatever editor and start typing.

When you are conviced that you are OK with typing, download XAMPP or WAMP and practise your php.

Javascript is the nearest thing to programming between those 4.

Kinda depends what you want to do.

I'm learning Python right now for data scraping and text analysis (MBA program)

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9