Web Server

Hello, I am very much a beginner at servers. I currently have a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B, but I am looking at a serious option for a web server and storage for it (maybe rack-mount). I am familiar with Desbian Linux. How would I go about buying a server with storage that'll get the job done. 

Also, what should I program with? HTML, CSS, PHP?

What you need depends on what for you are making it and how do you want it to work. Same about programming languages.

11 minutes ago, Nicko_barbeque said:

go on ebay and buy something... Thats all i can say cos i dont no about servers

Why would you even reply then?

Serving a website on an ARM processor versus say an Intel Xeon Quad-Core won't make much difference in reality. I've hosted over 1000 websites on an Intel Atom 330 with 2GB of RAM and a single SATA II drive without any issues, slowness, or high loads. The Raspberry Pi 2 is plenty powerful enough to run a web webserver but the lack of high capacity storage is not ideal for a NAS (unless you want to use a slow USB 2.0 external drive). I recommend grabbing either a Banana Pi Pro or a Orange Pi Plus, both of which have better performance than the RPi2, 1Gbps ports, and a SATA connector so you can hook up a hard drive to use as a NAS. This is also much cheaper (initial and monthly) than building a 1U server.

-KuJoe

1 hour ago, KuJoe said:

Banana Pi Pro or a Orange Pi Plus, both of which have better performance than the RPi2, 1Gbps ports, and a SATA connector

If you want to have a serious NAS I would even recommend a SATA multiplier and a Raid 1 or 5 for data safety. The Banana Pi does support it, as far as I know. Here is an example: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-turn-5-SATA-expansion-card-SATA-port-multiplier-SATA-adapter-card-can-support-5-SATA/2012532269.html?aff_platform=aaf&sk=aimAqrrNv%3A&cpt=1455274294983&aff_trace_key=97837f9cf5e048e382f7aa7d18573705-1455274294983-07247-aimAqrrNv

With the sata connectors it is quite fast and you can recycle old harddrives.

I found a tutorial here: http://www.htpcguides.com/rebuild-bananian-kernel-with-sata-port-multiplier-support/

Why not go with a cloud option? AWS has got everything you need, and it'll be way cheaper than doing it yourself.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking