NAS build with FreeNAS

i have an old pc lying around so was planning to build a NAS using free NAS but only one of its SATA ports is working so do i need a RAID card or just a SATA card, i will be doing RAID. Will the SATA card be able to use intel raid controller?

specs are-

Core 2 Duo E7500 at 2.93Ghz

Intel DG41RQ mobo

kingston 4GB value ram(ddr2)

550W PSU

I would doubt the onboard would be able to use a sata card, I would also advise against trying if the ports are going bad. One advantage of a proper raid card is the raid information is stored on the card so if that motherboard dies you won't lose the raid. If a raid is lost all data on the discs will be unreadable.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

You need a HBA card. 

FreeNAS doesn't play nice with RAID cards (SMART info and so on). 

Moreover, think about power consumption of that thing. LGA775 isn't really known for its power-saving features. 

28 minutes ago, TurkarYash said:

i have an old pc lying around so was planning to build a NAS using free NAS but only one of its SATA ports is working so do i need a RAID card or just a SATA card, i will be doing RAID. Will the SATA card be able to use intel raid controller?

specs are-

Core 2 Duo E7500 at 2.93Ghz

Intel DG41RQ mobo

kingston 4GB value ram(ddr2)

550W PSU

You're gonna want 8GB. Their site recommends that.

I would find a new mobo.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

For freeNAS you need/highly recommended ECC RAM, and get an HBA, basically a standard sata card rather than a RAID card. It'll save you money and works better with freeNAS.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

You're gonna want 8GB. Their site recommends that.

I would find a new mobo.

their site says that for older versions 4 gb is ok

and I may only put 2-3 discs

1 hour ago, Rahnie said:

You need a HBA card. 

FreeNAS doesn't play nice with RAID cards (SMART info and so on). 

Moreover, think about power consumption of that thing. LGA775 isn't really known for its power-saving features. 

power is not really an issue

its cheap where I live

1 hour ago, bobhays said:

For freeNAS you need/highly recommended ECC RAM, and get an HBA, basically a standard sata card rather than a RAID card. It'll save you money and works better with freeNAS.

will I be able to setup raid?

I don't think my motherboard supports it

30 minutes ago, TurkarYash said:

will I be able to setup raid?

I don't think my motherboard supports it

FreeNAS handles the RAID so your motherboard doesn't need to support it. Just make sure your motherboard supports ECC RAM.

2 hours ago, bobhays said:

FreeNAS handles the RAID so your motherboard doesn't need to support it. Just make sure your motherboard supports ECC RAM.

it doesn't :(

if my data is not very important can I go with non ecc?

1 hour ago, TurkarYash said:

Yes, you'll be fine

Perhaps try openmediavault or rockstor as OS, no need for ECC and less RAM usage.

Go with a Software RAID so you don't have to rely on the mobo/RAID card, but it's eventually slower

8 hours ago, TurkarYash said:

If your data isn't extremely important, you can just use something with far less ram requirements (like windows, or a linux install). There are also free solutions designed for a nas that don't require ecc but I haven't looked into them that much.