Got powerline adapter, upload speeds unchanged

Virtual01

I recently bought a powerline adapter because my wifi speeds were absolute trash. It worked, increasing my download speed from 11Mbps to ~65 (no more waiting 9 hours for games to download). However my upload speed remains untouched at 6Mbps. Does this mean that my upload speed is hard capped at 6, or am I actually missing out on something?

Hi.

Your upload speed is probably capped at 6 which is okay 'cause mine's at 5.

Also, I would recommend if that is giving you trouble try getting a new router if the one you have is trash. Also try hooking into ethernet if possible. Much better speeds for gaming over ethernet.

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

15 minutes ago, AlphaGamer46 said:

Hi.

Your upload speed is probably capped at 6 which is okay 'cause mine's at 5.

Also, I would recommend if that is giving you trouble try getting a new router if the one you have is trash. Also try hooking into ethernet if possible. Much better speeds for gaming over ethernet.

Nah, everything works fine and I'm very happy with it, I was just wondering why my upload speed was so low. I don't really care that much, download speed is whats important. I could deal with it in the past, but modern games are so huge that it takes all day to download, sometimes overnight. Not to mention it basically uses 100% of my bandwith so trying to do something else at the same time is extremely painful.

I talked to my dad and apparently he has some sort of coaxial line set up that he might be able to use to get me a real wired connection. I don't really know how it works but he said if we move the modem/router to the basement, he has a line there that goes straight from the basement to the attic, and right into my room.

Sounds like you only pay for 6mbps upload speeds. Making your home network better isn't going to make your internet faster by itself, you have to pay for better service too.

Yes, it looks like you are capped at 6, that's a common upload speed to be capped at. You can try plugging your computer directly into your modem to find out.