Can I extend my wireless network this way?

Godcer

Is it possible for me to extend my wireless network by doing the following?

Connect router 2 to router 1 via ethernet. Make router 1 192.168.1.1 and router 2 192.168.1.2. Turning off the DHCP server on router 2 and making router 1's IP pool start at 192......1.3 instead of 1.2. And then change both of the routers SSIDs and passwords to be the same

If my explanation didn't make any sense please comment what you were confused about and I will answer shortly. Thanks for all the replies beforehand. 

1. folowing because i wana know too

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

You "could" do it that way, but it may cause problems. Even though the DHCP is turned off on router 2, it still needs to use NAT for outbound from router 2 to router 1. You might be able to turn off NAT, but the optimal way is to turn the router into a access point (AP).Here is some more info. Some routers even have a simple switch. What model router 1 and 2 do you have?

Also, if you do it  your way, be sure to set the Wifi to different channels and see if there are any roaming options. Having two routers by the same name can sometimes cause the client to become confused if both networks are equally strong and it doesn't know which to connect to. 

Just now, Trikein said:

You "could" do it that way, but it may cause problems. Even though the DHCP is turned off on router 2, it still needs to use NAT for outbound from router 2 to router 1. You might be able to turn off NAT, but the optimal way is to turn the router into a access point (AP).Here is some more info. Some routers even have a simple switch. What model router 1 and 2 do you have?

Also, if you do it  your way, be sure to set the Wifi to different channels and see if there are any roaming options. Having two routers by the same name can sometimes cause the client to become confused if both networks are equally strong and it doesn't know which to connect to. 

Thanks for the reply, the routers I have is an Asus RT-N56U and a cheaper Netgear N300

4 minutes ago, Godcer said:

Thanks for the reply, the routers I have is an Asus RT-N56U and a cheaper Netgear N300

N300 is a Wifi standard, not a model number. WNR2000100NAS? DGN2200? JWNR2010v3?  I ask because I am looking to see if it has a easy AP mode.

Just now, Trikein said:

N300 is a Wifi standard, not a model number. WNR2000100NAS? DGN2200? JWNR2010v3?  I ask because I am looking to see if it has a easy AP mode.

I was wondering if I had to write that as well. It is JWNR10v5

Yes. But make sure router 1 and 2 are connected via the lan ports to each other.

If a router allows you to change the local IP and disable the DHCP server, then you can use the LAN to LAN setup to extend your network.

Pretty much all of the modern Netgear routers support this config (as well as almost every other brand).

In its simplest form, you are taking the secondary router, changing its IP (e.g., from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2 or 200 or anything (it is up to you)

You are then disabling the DHCP server in the router, and then connecting an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the secondary router, to a LAN port on the primary router.

When everything is in the same IP range, the routers original services will still function, e.g., readyshare vault (really good backup utility) on the netgear routers, as welll as network shares will still function.

8 minutes ago, Godcer said:

I was wondering if I had to write that as well. It is JWNR10v5

I cant find anything for JWNR10v5 or JWNR10. Closest I could find was JWNR2000v2

Just now, Trikein said:

I cant find anything for JWNR10v5 or JWNR10. Closest I could find was JWNR2000v2

Sure, I thought wrote JWNR2010v5. Sorry for the troubles

Nope, doesn't have the easy way. Sorry to waste your time. :$ Looked through the manual and some forums and the only way is a work around. Should work fine, just might have issues with things like media servers communication with each other or wireless printing working. Ironically enough Netgear has ALL kinds of documentation turning it into a repeater, just not a AP. Odd

3 minutes ago, Trikein said:

Nope, doesn't have the easy way. Sorry to waste your time. :$ Looked through the manual and some forums and the only way is a work around. Should work fine, just might have issues with things like media servers communication with each other or wireless printing working. Ironically enough Netgear has ALL kinds of documentation turning it into a repeater, just not a AP. Odd

wait, i can turn it into a repeater? yay! wireless problem @ my place might be solved(sortof i still HATE wifi) please teach me senpai

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, Trikein said:

What would the differences of a repeater and an AP be?

See page 42-45 for instructions on WDS/Repeater. Or this gives a bit more background. Repeater < AP. They work by one router talking on one set of frequencies, while the other talks on another set. Not only can this half your throughput, but since your using a wider band of Wifi, your connection will be more prone to interference. So good if someone just wants to browse the web and check email in the dead zone, but I wouldn't game on it. 

1 minute ago, Trikein said:

See page 42-45 for instructions on WDS/Repeater. Or this gives a bit more background. Repeater < AP. They work by one router talking on one set of frequencies, while the other talks on another set. Not only can this half your throughput, but since your using a wider band of Wifi, your connection will be more prone to interference. So good if someone just wants to browse the web and check email in the dead zone, but I wouldn't game on it. 

Understood, thanks