1 Gbps possible for home?

mijhamilt1

How are 1 Gbps speeds achievable for a home?  There is a LOT of inaccurate information out there concerning this topic.  Do you simply just need to pay for faster internet?  I currently have 80 up and 80 down.  I need to transfer large files to my NAS regularly, so it would be nice to have a faster speed.

thank you,

Mike

if your nas is on a local network it doesnt matter what your ISP speed is

just connect a gigabit cable from your PC to the router then to the NAS

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, mijhamilt1 said:

How are 1 Gbps speeds achievable for a home?  There is a LOT of inaccurate information out there concerning this topic.  Do you simply just need to pay for faster internet?  I currently have 80 up and 80 down.  I need to transfer large files to my NAS regularly, so it would be nice to have a faster speed.

thank you,

Mike

If your ISP doesn't provide such a service, obviously you can't get it.  

To your 2nd part of your question, why would you need internet to transfer files to your NAS? The data doesn't go through the internet, it stays in your home network.  Make sure every step of the connection is capable of 1Gbps, otherwise speeds will drop to 100Mbps.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

For LAN or actual internet speeds? 

If it's over LAN, then the connection to the ISP doesn't matter. As long as all of the components in the network support 1000BASE-T or better, you can transfer at Gigabit speeds. 

8 minutes ago, mijhamilt1 said:

thank you,

Mike

Ok...

I think your getting confused with LAN speeds being Gigabit, compared to WAN speeds being Gigabit. 

Having a local area network gigabit means that with devices on your local network (nas, computers), can communicate and transfer at 1Gbps. So if you have a 10/100/1000 ethernet switch and your devices plugged into it, you can copy files to your NAS from your PC at about 120MB/s or 1000Mbps. This does not mean that you have gigabit WAN speeds. 

Gigabit WAN speeds means that you can communicate with devices external to your network, if they allow for it, at 1000Mbps. So if you were to upload video to youtube, you can upload at 120MB/s or 1Gbps.

~BeyondTech

BeyondTech

DISCLAIMER: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the opinion or policy of his family or of the little green men that have been following him all day. 
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for some of the above, as apparently my cats have learned how to type.

My Rig:

-  Intel 4790K (overclocked 4.4Ghz)

-  Dual Gtx 970 FTW

-  Asus Z97-DELUXE/USB 3.1

-  16GB Corsair Vengeance

-  Intel 530 Series 480GB SSD

-  Corsair AX1200i (why? I have no clue... )

-  Hyper 212 Evo

There are two parts to your home network, the LAN (Local Area Network) and WAN (Wide Area Network). When you connect to websites like Google or LTT, you go over the WAN. When you connect to your NAS you stay on the LAN. If you LAN is 1Gbps then anything inside your network (before your router) will be able to use 1Gbps speeds as long as your NICs support it (they'll either be 10Mbps, 100Mbps, 1Gbps, or 10Gbps).

-KuJoe