i7+970 vs i5+980

vern021
Go to solution Solved by xnoobftw,

I'll assure you everyone will say that i5 + 980 is the way to go with gaming 

Hey guys! I don't know where to put this post so I'll just put it here. I was wondering if an i5-K with a 980 will have a better performance than an i7-K with a 970. Is there any significant difference in terms of gaming and overall performance? I'm concerned that the 980 won't run on its full potential in an i5 setup compared to a 970 in an i7 setup. Really need your help here. Thanks!

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

They both don't bottleneck, but I think gaming performance will be better on the i5+980. i7 isn't really needed for gaming, only if you do professional work.

An i5 and 980ti would be best option if you have budget but to price to performance an i7 and 970 would be better and it will perform better in video editing and proudction work.  It really depend what OP is doing with this computer. 

Magical Pineapples

I'll assure you everyone will say that i5 + 980 is the way to go with gaming 

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

1 minute ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

An i5 and 980ti would be best option if you have budget but to price to performance an i7 and 970 would be better and it will perform better in video editing and proudction work.  It really depend what OP is doing with this computer. 

Yeah I actually need to ask about that since my friend's dad really insists on getting an i7 and I don't actually know if they edit a lot of videos. I do however, know that their whole family is into PC gaming.

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

Just now, vern021 said:

Yeah I actually need to ask about that since my friend's dad really insists on getting an i7 and I don't actually know if they edit a lot of videos. I do however, know that their whole family is into PC gaming.

Personally 980 is that good to price to performance as you won't gain as much fps going with 980. A 980ti would be better choice if they able to fit into their budget, 970 is enough for 1080p for current games but if they play new game they might want to go with 980ti or 980. If they just play game and light production work it should be fine. Even going with unlock is also a good option to keep the budget down.  

Magical Pineapples

1 minute ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

Personally 980 is that good to price to performance as you won't gain as much fps going with 980. A 980ti would be better choice if they able to fit into their budget, 970 is enough for 1080p for current games but if they play new game they might want to go with 980ti or 980. If they just play game and light production work it should be fine. Even going with unlock is also a good option to keep the budget down.  

Yeah the actual plan is to get a 980ti but the budget is $250 lower than the budget said to me by my friend. I'm thinking of getting the 970 since it is way better than a 980 in terms of performance per dollar and they can always slap on another one.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, vern021 said:

Yeah the actual plan is to get a 980ti but the budget is $250 lower than the budget said to me by my friend. I'm thinking of getting the 970 since it is way better than a 980 in terms of performance per dollar and they can always slap on another one.

Personally he could sell that and get pascal later would be better option such as "1080ti" next year. 

Magical Pineapples

Just now, MrUnknownEMC said:

Personally he could sell that and get pascal later would be better option such as "1080ti" next year. 

You don't know his dad..... xD

Spoiler

Go with the GTX 970 unless the GTX 980 costs no more than 16% over it, and either way i5 4690K/6600K and i7 4790K/6700K are just as good in nearly all games, although i7 are more efficient (more efficient due to hyperthreading getting all of the possible performance out of each core).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL