Silent Liquid Cooling

Hi, so I'm planning out a liquid cooling loop for my PC. I have a CaseLabs Merlin SM8 and I'm thinking about having a triple fan radiator for the front and a single fan radiator in the back. Would this be enough or at least overkill for absolute silence for my system under full load? I'll only really be cooling the processor and a Titan X that I'll plan on buying later. 

4 minutes ago, Yames said:

Hi, so I'm planning out a liquid cooling loop for my PC. I have a CaseLabs Merlin SM8 and I'm thinking about having a triple fan radiator for the front and a single fan radiator in the back. Would this be enough or at least overkill for absolute silence for my system under full load? I'll only really be cooling the processor and a Titan X that I'll plan on buying later. 

Quiet ? Yes, Silent ? Probably not since the pump and fans are hearable, specially at 100% load

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

2 hours ago, C0LL0SS0S said:

Quiet ? Yes, Silent ? Probably not since the pump and fans are hearable, specially at 100% load

Anything I can do or buy to solve that issue 

for a dead silent system you want at least 240 radspace for each component on push/pull (like <350rpm noctuas silent) even better would be 2 separate loops for your gpus and cpu. because then you can slow down pump rpm too, with a single pump you wont achieve absolute silence, not gonna happen, ever.

like 2x 360 rad, 12 fans, 2 pumps, 2 loops

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

Just now, Yames said:

Anything I can do or buy to solve that issue 

well if you really want a silent water cooled PC I think external Radiators are the way to go

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

2 hours ago, C0LL0SS0S said:

well if you really want a silent water cooled PC I think external Radiators are the way to go

no thanks lol

1 minute ago, C0LL0SS0S said:

thats not really necessary. just make sure youre getting 2 complete loops, 1 for your cpu and one for your gpus, the more radspace, the lower you can run your fans, buts gotta be push/pull at that low rpm if you dont want to rise fan rpm on load.

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

Just now, Minsekt said:

thats not really necessary. just make sure youre getting 2 complete loops, 1 for your cpu and one for your gpus, the more radspace, the lower you can run your fans, buts gotta be push/pull at that low rpm if you dont want to rise fan rpm on load.

I know how sensitive People are about Sound when they already request a dead silent build so I always overdue it because its better. Also those People might magically hear the "water running through the pump" ^^

Jayztwocents did a video not too long ago on this topic, he showcased his system (Skunkworks) and how he was able to achieve near silent performance in his loop, though the video was about airflow, he gives some points about his systems near silent behavior  

As many Low FPI rads you can fit (prefably slim rads  35mm - less restriction is potentially less noise trying to push air through). The more cooling surface area the lower you can run your fans to achieve your desired temps. PWM static pressure fan (push/pull to run fan speeds lower) D5 pump ( youll find that they get noisy at certain speeds- not necessarily the highest speed). 

I mean, to make it short, the larger the heat dissipating surface you have, the less of fans or flowrate is needed.

So you are trading space with noise reduction.

optional, you can have less restrictive loops(shorter, less turns) or higher temp.

2 hours ago, GhostHitWall said:

I mean, to make it short, the larger the heat dissipating surface you have, the less of fans or flowrate is needed.

So you are trading space with noise reduction.

optional, you can have less restrictive loops(shorter, less turns) or higher temp.

Right, that is my ideology, so as stated my first post, that should be enough right? 

13 minutes ago, Yames said:

Right, that is my ideology, so as stated my first post, that should be enough right? 

I think it's sufficient but you didn't mention what exact cpu and voltage you''ll be running.

or the gpu be overclocked/bios hacked voltage?

I would actually suggest you to have only ONE loop for both of them. Since you wont run into a airflow or tube routing problem in that case.

It's rare to have both CPU and GPU under 100% simultaneously for a normal user.

So mostly you should be trading a bit of CPU temp for that Titan X 

2 hours ago, GhostHitWall said:

I think it's sufficient but you didn't mention what exact cpu and voltage you''ll be running.

or the gpu be overclocked/bios hacked voltage?

I would actually suggest you to have only ONE loop for both of them. Since you wont run into a airflow or tube routing problem in that case.

It's rare to have both CPU and GPU under 100% simultaneously for a normal user.

So mostly you should be trading a bit of CPU temp for that Titan X 

I'm not really on overclocker. 4790K and idk voltage

Yeah my plan is just one loop for both of them

38 minutes ago, Yames said:

I'm not really on overclocker. 4790K and idk voltage

Yeah my plan is just one loop for both of them

If at stock, don't even bother, 

480mm total space is good enough for silent imo.

get some slim rads with good fans no more than 1500rpm

pwm control or DC control them to run at abt 1000rpm or lower.

be aware most motherboards tend to spin fan at max speed at startup for safety checking.

If want to eliminate that, get one MB that doesn't or mod UEFI/BIOS.

or you can just use reducing volt cable/adapter for DC controlled fans