Computer starting up without being turned on

GrandNebSmada
Go to solution Solved by Benergy,
2 minutes ago, 5Beans6 said:

I didn't yet because it's really hard to get to them in my case, but I don't think that it is that anyway, I've been using my computer for months now and it's never given me this problem

Here's some other ideas that might help: 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-7-computer-restarts-automatically-after/daeb457a-3509-4be9-a85b-2935c8c3e108

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2113894/computer-automatically-restarts-shut.html

My computer is starting back up after every time I shut it down, I have no idea why it is doing this. I am running Windows 10 Home.

Just now, Devon_Pearce said:

what are your system specs

Core i7-6700K

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960

16Gb (2 x 8gb sticks) Corsair Vengeance RAM

Tb HDD and 500 Gb SSD

650 Watt EVGA PSU

17 minutes ago, 5Beans6 said:

My computer is starting back up after every time I shut it down, I have no idea why it is doing this. I am running Windows 10 Home.

In your BIOS settings there will likely be a few settings for something like:

• Wake on LAN
  • Wake from PCIe
  • Wake from Keyboard/Mouse

Disable all of these.

Edit: Also, make sure your front panel IO headers are all on the right pins, e.g. if the power button is on the reset headers or something it might just restart instead of turning off :D

Almost as cool as my temps  

1 minute ago, Devon_Pearce said:

MB?

Oh sorry, forgot that, Gigabyte Z170MX - Gaming 5 Mini ITX Board

1 minute ago, Benergy said:

• Wake on LAN
  • Wake from PCIe

Disable all of these.

Now that you say that, I trying to learn about wake on LAN through Team Viewer and I may have enabled it and not remembered doing it.

3 minutes ago, Benergy said:

• Wake on LAN
  • Wake from PCIe

Disable all of these.

Edit: Also, make sure your front panel IO headers are all on the right pins, e.g. if the power button is on the reset headers or something it might just restart instead of turning off :D

yeah try the mass effect lovers suggestion

Ok, I'm going to do that now and get back with the results

Corsair H100i

**EDIT** Wrong post nevermind

11 minutes ago, Devon_Pearce said:

yeah try the mass effect lovers suggestion

13 minutes ago, Benergy said:

• Wake on LAN
  • Wake from PCIe

Disable all of these.

I have a bit of a problem, whenever I shut it down, it never actually completely shuts down and I can't get into the bios of my motherboard

4 minutes ago, 5Beans6 said:

I have a bit of a problem, whenever I shut it down, it never actually completely shuts down and I can't get into the bios of my motherboard

Did you investigate the front panel IO pins? If you yank them all out (gently ;)), and then shutdown, does it stay off?

Note: If it does stay off, the power button now won't work, so you'll have to plug that back in.

Also, if you yank the power cable out a few times while it's booting up, it should cancel fast boot if it's enabled, allowing you to enter BIOS.

3 minutes ago, Benergy said:

Did you investigate the front panel IO pins? If you yank them all out (gently ;)), and then shutdown, does it stay off?

Note: If it does stay off, the power button now won't work, so you'll have to plug that back in.

I didn't yet because it's really hard to get to them in my case, but I don't think that it is that anyway, I've been using my computer for months now and it's never given me this problem

2 minutes ago, 5Beans6 said:

Here's some other ideas that might help: 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-7-computer-restarts-automatically-after/daeb457a-3509-4be9-a85b-2935c8c3e108

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2113894/computer-automatically-restarts-shut.html

you never know man

Yeah, I just unplugged it and it didn't do anything different, but to think about it, if the button was stuck, it would also hard shut down my computer because it would be "held in"

12 minutes ago, Benergy said:

So the registry edit didn't work, and I for the second one, the computer never actually completely turns of, so I don't want to pull the power on it, possibly causing data corruption

1 minute ago, 5Beans6 said:

So the registry edit didn't work, and I for the second one, the computer never actually completely turns of, so I don't want to pull the power on it, possibly causing data corruption

AFAIK, the only data that could possibly be corrupted is anything being written to. So on boot, when it's reading all the OS files, that's probably not very much :)

Even then modern hardware probably has protection against it.

43 minutes ago, 5Beans6 said:

Core i7-6700K

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960

16Gb (2 x 8gb sticks) Corsair Vengeance RAM

Tb HDD and 500 Gb SSD

650 Watt EVGA PSU

I have a strong feeling it's the Gigabyte card.

Every single thread I read about a system shutting down and turning on by itself always have Gigabyte cards, AMD or Nvidia. But that could be a coincidence, although I know it was a problem on the R9 390/390X cards from Gigabyte, the card kept turning on people's systems.

1 minute ago, Benergy said:

AFAIK, the only data that could possibly be corrupted is anything being written to. So on boot, when it's reading all the OS files, that's probably not very much :)

Even then modern hardware probably has protection against it.

Ok, it's kinda scary, and I don't know at what point it's finished with shutting down and when it starts back up, but I'll try it, wish me luck?

15 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

I have a strong feeling it's the Gigabyte card.

Every single thread I read about a system shutting down and turning on by itself always have Gigabyte cards, AMD or Nvidia. But that could be a coincidence, although I know it was a problem on the R9 390/390X cards from Gigabyte, the card kept turning on people's systems.

Huh, idk, seems weird, idk why a video card would restart your computer though. And the computer is now shutting down properly after pulling the power, I also turned off fast startup (I thought that was disabled though)

Just now, 5Beans6 said:

Huh, idk, seems weird, idk why a video card would restart your computer though. And the computer is now shutting down properly after pulling the power, I also turned off fast startup (I thought that was disabled though)

It's a bug with the BIOS, not sure how it could be on every single card Gigabyte makes though.

4 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

It's a bug with the BIOS, not sure how it could be on every single card Gigabyte makes though.

Huh ok, well anyway thanks a bunch for your help, really appreciated!!

I have this same problem with my recently built system and have posted before about this problem, but never found a solution. I have disabled W.O.L., cleared CMOS, and disabled the default hibernate shutdown option. My pc turns on by itself after shutdown usually after about 5 minutes, but sometimes longer. I was going to contact support but I'm not sure which one to contact lol. Could this be a software(Microsoft) issue or a hardware issue?

• CPUXeon E3-1231 V3 3.4 Quad-Core
  • MotherboardASRock Fatal1ty H97 Killer ATX LGA1150
  • RAMG.Skill Sniper Series (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866
  • GPUMSI Radeon R9 390x 8GB Gaming Lite Edition
  • CasePhanteks Enthoo Pro M
  • StorageSamsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD / Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200 HDD
  • PSUEVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX
  • CoolingStock CPU Cooler
  • KeyboardCorsair Vengeance K70 Gaming Keyboard
  • MouseLogitech G502
  • Operating SystemWindows 10 Home