best cpu cooler?

immanueltja

I currently have a 4690k and I'm planning to overclock it to 4.5 or 4.4 ghz.. and I just wanted to know what would be a good cooler, not a liquid cooler, for the price. I have a 970 video card and I'm not gonna be oc'ing that. I'm currently contemplating on getting a cryorig h7 because it matches my color scheme of white/black, what do you guys think?

budget?

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

1 minute ago, immanueltja said:

I currently have a 4690k and I'm planning to overclock it to 4.5 or 4.4 ghz.. and I just wanted to know what would be a good cooler, not a liquid cooler, for the price. I have a 970 video card and I'm not gonna be oc'ing that. I'm currently contemplating on getting a cryorig h7 because it matches my color scheme of white/black, what do you guys think?

Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3, Cryorig R1 or H5 Ultimate.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

Just now, immanueltja said:

NH-D15 and put black/white fans on it if you must 

Almost as cool as my temps  

Honestly if you're planning on doing some serious overclocking your best bet would be a liquid cooler such as the most popular H100i, but if you insist on air cooling, go with a Hyper 212 EVO or a Noctua Cooler

I'm biased towards a Noctua NH-D15.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

I have a rule that I won't over clock without water cooling because it can ruin the life span of your nice pricey cpu.

6 minutes ago, FatPenguin said:

budget?

anything that won't go over 40 :)

1 minute ago, Tog said:

I have a rule that I won't over clock without water cooling because it can ruin the life span of your nice pricey cpu.

really? it's like pretty light isn't it?

really? it's like pretty light isn't it?

If you want to be safe with overclocking most people will recommend to go water cooling.

what's a cheap watercooler?

I'll be honest my knowledge on different water cooling products is very limited so I don't want to recommend any products. 

what's a cheap watercooler?

Corsair H60

Almost as cool as my temps  

If you don't crank up the voltage the CPU is fine and seriously monitor your temperature and shut down and redone your OC if it gets uncomfortable. You only have to know where you have to stop :D 

8 minutes ago, Narnash said:

If you don't crank up the voltage the CPU is fine and seriously monitor your temperature and shut down and redone your OC if it gets uncomfortable. You only have to know where you have to stop :D 

i'm kind of a new builder, this is gonna be my first build.. so what is a good temperature for my cpu to be at? what's a good voltage? can you recommend me like a good setting for overclocking the 4690k with different base clocks?

42 minutes ago, Tog said:

No.  Just don't crank voltages too high.

30 minutes ago, immanueltja said:

i'm kind of a new builder, this is gonna be my first build.. so what is a good temperature for my cpu to be at? what's a good voltage? can you recommend me like a good setting for overclocking the 4690k with different base clocks?

Around 30C idle and anywhere from 40-60C load depending on cooler.  On water, don't set voltages above 1.4V, on air, don't go above 1.35 although 1.3V is reccomended.  If you adjust the multiplier (don't use base clock on a K CPU), you could probably get 4.5Ghz on 1.25V.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

if it stucks under full load ( 2h+ testing, use more than one programm that crank up your CPU to 100% load use Core Temp or HWMonitor for monitoring the temperature) under 70 +/-5°C you will be perfectly fine (roomtemperature approx. 20°C)

for Overcloacking read your MB User Manual, some boards have something like adaptive mode these can help if your unexperienced (the MV will regulate the core voltage for the CPU itself) but at first you could try how much you can get (stable) without any voltage manipulation. If you up the CPU core 'multiplyer' (can be called slightly diffrent, look in the user manual) without any voltage manipulation your cpu won't heat up more than usual. 

Your 4690K should easy run 4,0GHz without or with a very small voltage up. I can't give you any settings, every CPU can be diffrent even the 'same' maybe need more or less power to reach a higher clockspeed (or even fail very hard).

PS: and I never owned a 4690K ^^ (maybe I write what my 4679K reach atm)

2 hours ago, Tog said:

If you want to be safe with overclocking most people will recommend to go water cooling.

Please stop spreading false information.

Fact is many top air coolers such as Noctua NH-D15 and Cryorig R1 Ultimate are as good as most 240 AIOs.

1 hour ago, Amazingasian said:

No.  Just don't crank voltages too high.

Around 30C idle and anywhere from 40-60C load depending on cooler.  On water, don't set voltages above 1.4V, on air, don't go above 1.35 although 1.3V is reccomended.  If you adjust the multiplier (don't use base clock on a K CPU), you could probably get 4.5Ghz on 1.25V.

can i get 4.5 ghz on the cryorig h7? I'm gonna be multiplying by 45 correct? and no need to change anything else? not even ram multiplier

51 minutes ago, immanueltja said:

can i get 4.5 ghz on the cryorig h7? I'm gonna be multiplying by 45 correct? and no need to change anything else? not even ram multiplier

It's all silicon lottery.  Some CPU's might need 1.4V to get 4Ghz but some may be able to do 5Ghz on 1.25V.  You have to test yourself.  I will tell you that you shouldn't go over 1.3V on an air cooler.

3 hours ago, immanueltja said:

nh d15 , kraken x61 or or h220x

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

21 minutes ago, Amazingasian said:

It's all silicon lottery.  Some CPU's might need 1.4V to get 4Ghz but some may be able to do 5Ghz on 1.25V.  You have to test yourself.  I will tell you that you shouldn't go over 1.3V on an air cooler.

okay, so I'll try to go little by little then? going by 40 first, then 42, then 43 until it taps out? and if going to 43 won't work, I'll increase the voltage by .01 correct? so 1.26 basically and such until I find the correct point?

okay, so I'll try to go little by little then? going by 40 first, then 42, then 43 until it taps out? and if going to 43 won't work, I'll increase the voltage by .01 correct? so 1.26 basically and such until I find the correct point?

That would work or you could set it to 4.4Ghz at 1.25V and increase it slightly from there.

Just now, Amazingasian said:

That would work or you could set it to 4.4Ghz at 1.25V and increase it slightly from there.

i got you.. and the cooler is okay correct? h7

14 minutes ago, immanueltja said:

i got you.. and the cooler is okay correct? h7

Yea.  It's fine.