1 click notifications

Wolf_Lbh
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,
Just now, Wolf_Lbh said:

Well maybe mobile mode has room for more that 1 icon at the top... Like perhaps the most common one, or the 7 most common ones... Lemme check... okay I found some room and made a diagram to help you locate where you could put a "select few" important icons, only about 6-8 or so.
here.png

Yeah, that is true. I'll pass the feedback on.

On the old site it only took one click to view your notifications, now you have to open up a menu and the notification is on that submenu. It takes an extra step to get to an extremely commonly used interface. Any chance this can be improved upon?

21 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

On the old site it only took one click to view your notifications, now you have to open up a menu and the notification is on that submenu. It takes an extra step to get to an extremely commonly used interface. Any chance this can be improved upon?

What is the resolution of your screen? It sounds like you're getting the mobile view.

HTTP/2 203

9 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

What is the resolution of your screen? It sounds like you're getting the mobile view.

1080p on this monitor, but I halfscreen because dat multitasking. Also I don't use adobe flash which sometimes falsely triggers mobile view.

Edit: just tried full screen and it expanded. So the issue is with halfscreening. Which is strange because it has tons of room in halfscreen mode.

6 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

Which is strange because it has tons of room in halfscreen mode.

Not enough room for the nav

UZ-.png

HTTP/2 203

3 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Not enough room for the nav

UZ-.png

Well maybe mobile mode has room for more that 1 icon at the top... Like perhaps the most common one, or the 7 most common ones... Lemme check... okay I found some room and made a diagram to help you locate where you could put a "select few" important icons, only about 6-8 or so.
here.png

Just now, Wolf_Lbh said:

here.png

Yeah, that is true. I'll pass the feedback on.

HTTP/2 203

demo.png

I made an actually helpful demo to illustrate the icons I would suggest having. This way the mobile version is as easy to use as the main version and the only compromise you make is that the forums, blogs, calendar, gallery, guidelines, downloads, staff, and online users would get combined with "community" in 1 drop down menu. As those are probably the least clicked on icons this gives the site far easier usability for mobile users imo.

On February 7, 2016 at 2:03 PM, Wolf_Lbh said:

demo.png

I made an actually helpful demo to illustrate the icons I would suggest having. This way the mobile version is as easy to use as the main version and the only compromise you make is that the forums, blogs, calendar, gallery, guidelines, downloads, staff, and online users would get combined with "community" in 1 drop down menu. As those are probably the least clicked on icons this gives the site far easier usability for mobile users imo.

If you're actually viewing the site on a mobile device then there isn't enough room to put more then we have. While the site breakpoint is a bit high (half the width of a 1080p screen), the only way we could implement what you're talking about was if we added more breakpoints to the site and would require quite a lot of work (as we would have to change all of the existing breakpoints). 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

1 hour ago, Blade of Grass said:

If you're actually viewing the site on a mobile device then there isn't enough room to put more then we have. While the site breakpoint is a bit high (half the width of a 1080p screen), the only way we could implement what you're talking about was if we added more breakpoints to the site and would require quite a lot of work (as we would have to change all of the existing breakpoints). 

Maybe  make it 2 lines and put the "Linus tech tips" logo on top?

29 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

Maybe  make it 2 lines and put the "Linus tech tips" logo on top?

Have you tried using forum with mobile device like 5'' smartphone? Making height of page even smaller isn't really viable option.

Actually making top bar to follow while scrolling would be much better option than adding its height.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Have you tried using forum with mobile device like 5'' smartphone? Making height of page even smaller isn't really viable option.

Actually making top bar to follow while scrolling would be much better option than adding its height.

No I have not, but if they are going to hide everything but 1 icon at half 1080 resolution then they need a better gameplan. Either make the tolerances less ridiculous or clean up some of the clutter on the full bar. Personally I feel the full bar has a lot of extra crap on it but figured they would take better to a version that didn't hide stuff in the full version.