128GB version of Samsung 950 Pro?

Blucyrik

Hey guys,

I'm looking to add an NVME drive to use as a boot drive for new home server/entertainment system, which has an M.2 slot on the motherboard. Does anyone know of a 128GB version of the Samsung 950 Pro, if it even exists? Only reason I ask is because the 256GB model is close to $200... And I honestly don't need that much storage for a boot SSD... And I don't really want to spend that much either.

As a side question, are there any alternatives or have they not been released yet? I know this technology is quite new, so I didn't expect there to be too many options to begin with.

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

1) you cant afford $200, but youre buying a 950 pro? what???

2) if youre buying an SSD for a few seconds faster boot times you are wasting money

3) what the heck are you doing that requires 2000MBps speeds

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

1) you cant afford $200, but youre buying a 950 pro? what???

2) if youre buying an SSD for a few seconds faster boot times you are wasting money

3) what the heck are you doing that requires 2000MBps speeds

1. What?? I would like to purchase a 950 pro, but I asked to see if anyone knew of a 128GB or equivelent model of the 950 Pro.

2. This is for (dare I say it...) "future proofing". I want this purchase to last for years into the future (and it probably will IMO)

3. MORE POWER.

2 minutes ago, Blucyrik said:

1. What?? I would like to purchase a 950 pro, but I asked to see if anyone knew of a 128GB or equivelent model of the 950 Pro.

2. This is for (dare I say it...) "future proofing". I want this purchase to last for years into the future (and it probably will IMO)

3. MORE POWER.

1) youre spending money on something you dont need at all

2) there is no such thing as future proofing

and the closest thing to future proofing is buying a larger SSD because 128GB is gonna fill up in a month

3) you need to get your priorities sorted out

Just buying an SSD for faster boot times is a complete waste of money

SSDs are only worth it if you put programs and files on them, which actually speed up your regular tasks during the day, not just how many seconds it takes to boot

This means getting a LARGER ssd not faster ssd

Because programs and files dont need 2000MBps, but they do need a lot of space

Unless you are a content creator, an NVME SSD is just throwing money away, and very stupid (especially if you have a limited budget and should be buying more space)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

1) youre spending money on something you dont need at all

2) there is no such thing as future proofing

and the closest thing to future proofing is buying a larger SSD because 128GB is gonna fill up in a month

3) you need to get your priorities sorted out

Just buying an SSD for faster boot times is a complete waste of money

SSDs are only worth it if you put programs and files on them, which actually speed up your regular tasks during the day, not just how many seconds it takes to boot

This means getting a LARGER ssd not faster ssd

Because programs and files dont need 2000MBps, but they do need a lot of space

Unless you are a content creator, an NVME SSD is just throwing money away, and very stupid (especially if you have a limited budget and should be buying more space)

I definitely see what you're saying, but let me explain my logic and why I want to do this in the first place.

Yes, buying a regular SSD with a SATA interface would be just fine for something like this, but that uses up an extra SATA slot... which my motherboard only has 6 of. In other words, one less hard drive I can add to the system in the future without spending extra cash on a RAID card or PCIe SATA card.

Moving on... why do I want the extra speed? Basically the same reason someone would want a GTX 980 vs a 960. Yes, a 960 can play just about any game out there with great performance for your money, but a GTX 980 does it better.

10 minutes ago, Blucyrik said:

I definitely see what you're saying, but let me explain my logic and why I want to do this in the first place.

Yes, buying a regular SSD with a SATA interface would be just fine for something like this, but that uses up an extra SATA slot... which my motherboard only has 6 of. In other words, one less hard drive I can add to the system in the future without spending extra cash on a RAID card or PCIe SATA card.

Moving on... why do I want the extra speed? Basically the same reason someone would want a GTX 980 vs a 960. Yes, a 960 can play just about any game out there with great performance for your money, but a GTX 980 does it better.

no, i dont think you understand how storage speed works...

having faster storage does not make everything faster like a 980 vs 960

first of all, programs and files need to be on the SSD to get a speed increase

putting your OS on a tiny 128GB SSD will only reduce the boot time, all programs and files will still be slow

second, having faster storage only improves performance to a point

there is 0 difference between a sata ssd and nvme ssd with games and programs, because the games and programs dont use that much bandwidth

there only thing that benefits from something that fast is file transfers, such as copying from one nvme SSD to another (which you cant do if you only have one anyway)

are you a content creator? do you move hundreds of GB of video files around each day as your job?

So basically you're going to end up with a SSD thats tiny, only has room for your OS, does not improve your experience using games or programs, does not speed up file transfers, because you want your PC to boot a few seconds faster?

if youre complaining you motherboard only has 6 sata parts, why not use that money for a new motherboard?
why not buy a larger SATA SSD so you can benefit from having more programs and games and files on it?

you know they come in 1TB+ sizes, right? how soon do you think you're going to fill up all 6 sata slots with 2TB SSDs?

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

putting your OS on a tiny 128GB SSD will only reduce the boot time, all programs and files will still be slow

there is 0 difference between a sata ssd and nvme ssd with games and programs, because the games and programs dont use that much bandwidth

there only thing that benefits from something that fast is file transfers, such as copying from one nvme SSD to another (which you cant do if you only have one anyway)

are you a content creator? do you move hundreds of GB of video files around each day as your job?

So basically you're going to end up with a SSD thats tiny, only has room for your OS, does not improve your experience using games or programs, does not speed up file transfers, because you want your PC to boot a few seconds faster?

if youre complaining you motherboard only has 6 sata parts, why not use that money for a new motherboard?
why not buy a larger SATA SSD so you can benefit from having more programs and games and files on it?

you know they come in 1TB+ sizes, right? how soon do you think you're going to fill up all 6 sata slots with 2TB SSDs?

A 128GB SSD is extremely usable, you're sounding like a spoilt brat honestly.. I have all I need (100+ programs) and more on my 840EVO 128GB, and I've still got 40GB left.. 

idk

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Now that I think about it... You're probably right. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

A 128GB SSD is extremely usable, you're sounding like a spoilt brat honestly.. I have all I need (100+ programs) and more on my 840EVO 128GB, and I've still got 40GB left.. 

My first SSD was a 64GB back in the days when Sandy Bridge was released. I threw in a 1TB WD Black hard drive with it and it probaly lasted 3 years or so before I sold the system.

It's not hard to use little space on a small SSD if you manage your programs correctly

9 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

yeah what programs

google chrome?

lol im talking about stuff like after effects, premiere, photoshop, cad, games that are over 30GB, etc...

windows alone takes up plenty of space, then you've got all the windows updates, plus the fact that your 128GB SSD doesnt actually have 128GB of space, it has less

and then what about files? videos take up several GB each, and music and photos can add up quickly

Oh, but right, those programs totally need 2000MBps!!! YEAH!!

here is a hint at the difference in responsiveness of games and programs on a 2000MBps SSD and a 500MBps SSD:

You know how you can see this for yourself if you dont believe me? Go to resource monitor and look at your disk usage. Yeah. Not even close to 500MBps.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

yeah what programs

google chrome?

lol im talking about stuff like after effects, premiere, photoshop, cad, games that are over 30GB, etc...

windows alone takes up plenty of space, then you've got all the windows updates, plus the fact that your 128GB SSD doesnt actually have 128GB of space, it has less

and then what about files? videos take up several GB each, and music and photos can add up quickly

Oh, but right, those programs totally need 2000MBps!!! YEAH!!

here is a hint at the difference in responsiveness of games and programs on a 2000MBps SSD and a 500MBps SSD:

Hidden Content

You know how you can see this for yourself if you dont believe me? Go to resource monitor and look at your disk usage. Yeah. Not even close to 500MBps.

111GB after formatting. Games go on the HDD, it's not like loading time matters to me anyway, if it takes ages I go make a coffee. 

idk

but seeing how fast Premiere opens is fun! =P 

I don't think samsung will release a 120, as 120 is slowly becoming the 64 gb ssd 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

Don't think Samsung will release a 128gb version the next one they are releasing is a 1tb version of it.

8 hours ago, ninninon said:

"No, Samsung do not do a 128GB 950 pro, but even if they did, I wouldn't recommend it because you don't need that much performance just for an entertainment center, as well as the fact that 128GB will quickly be filled by movies and the such."

I made my point clear at the beginning. If you couldn't assume that from what I said, then you probably need to take another english class.

There are at least five times where I said he didnt need it and it would be a waste of money.

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, ninninon said:

His question was whether they did a 128GB version of the 950 pro, you responded with why he didn't need one, not whether they do a 128GB pro. Your original response came across as aggressive and rude, your telling people that they're going to fill it up in a month, even though you don't know what he's using it for specifically, and now you're going round telling people to take English classes yet you're the only one using no full stops for paragraphs and not using capital letters. 

Uh, I dont think you understand how a public forum works...

This isn't a place like yahoo answers where you just answer a question and move on, whatever the question is

Here on LTT we help people make better decisions, save money, and prevent from making stupid purchases

If I want to make a point and tell someone what they're doing wrong, I can do that. That's why this is a public forum.

And in case you didn't notice, this is the internet. Do you think its necessary to make sure all caps and commas and apostrophes are in place? Am I writing an english essay?

I dont think so.

I was making a point. If you interpreted it as aggressive and rude, well, thats kinda your problem. 

And if youre gonna get upset every time you feel someone is being aggressive or rude, then you might want to take a break for the internet for a while...

Anyway, I already made my point about why spending money on a faster smaller drive is a much worse decision than buying a slower but larger SSD. All you're doing now is derailing the thread and starting arguments, so I'll just leave this here for you to read while I go do more useful stuff with my time: 

Spoiler