Would this be a good Router?

mcraftax

Hi

I want to know our opinion on this router setup:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/jmY7zy

Is it good, not powerful enough or OP (it is not).

I will be serving up to 5 vpn clients as well as a family sized LAN.

Thanks in advanced,

Max

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

Overkill and a waste of money/electricity. You can do the same things and more with a cheap DD-WRT or Mikrotik router 1/4th of the cost.

-KuJoe

if you're going pfsense specificly for having the vpn functionality, this router should be straight in your price point:

http://www.linksys.com/us/support-product?pid=01t80000003KqdLAAS

that said, as you've seen with linus's pfsense build theres a lot of issues with 1u, one of which you didnt account for: 1u is smaller than the rear IO on a normal motherboard, so you need a motherboard with slim rear IO.

EDIT: here's the router's pricetag on amazon uk: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-LRT214-Business-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00GQATOZ0

No.  Unfortunately.

First off you would need muliple ports, one for WAN, a couple for LAN and a wifi card.

If you want to the security route, getting a UTM is probably you're best bet. Or you could get a Cisco Router. 

Or as other's have said, home routers would do too.

Just now, Mike_The_B0ss said:

No.  Unfortunately.

First off you would need muliple ports, one for WAN, a couple for LAN and a wifi card.

If you want to the security route, getting a UTM is probably you're best bet. Or you could get a Cisco Router. 

Or as other's have said, home routers would do too.

I only need the two ports and one would go to the ISP's router/modem, the other would go to a switch and off that switch I would have a AP.

For the security, I see spend a lot of time researching this, but I maybe wrong, and pfSense has is not all but more features than most high end routers.

Thanks though.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

4 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

I only need the two ports and one would go to the ISP's router/modem, the other would go to a switch and off that switch I would have a AP.

For the security, I see spend a lot of time researching this, but I maybe wrong, and pfSense has is not all but more features than most high end routers.

Thanks though.

Okay, that makes sense.

PFsense is good, but it's also lacking as well.  There are bonuses and negatives.  i personally would go with a Fortigate anyday than a pfsense box. 

If you want a router, I highly suggest Untangle free, it's fairly decent and easy to manage.   I find it better and more stable than PFsense.  Pfsense is great but it lacks the oomph of something like a Cisco router or a Fortinet Fortigate or even a Sophos free UTM.  I feel stupid saying this but I think I just think it's a bit unreasonable. 

It's great don't get me wrong it just feels not ready.  That's it, not ready.   Untangle I think is ready, they have the fianance behind it too and the Debian system which is great because you have access to the terminal and the gui, you also are able to setup antivirus, anti-spam, IDS, HIPS etc. 

It's really great for a free router distro.

I'm a mainstream linux guy and I like working with Debian and having it as a regular Debian server with the addition of being a router too makes it even better.  I wouldn't be surprised if you could run a terminal Window and even run an apache server on there, just ampersand it and you're all good to go.

2 minutes ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

Okay, that makes sense.

PFsense is good, but it's also lacking as well.  There are bonuses and negatives.  i personally would go with a Fortigate anyday than a pfsense box. 

If you want a router, I highly suggest Untangle free, it's fairly decent and easy to manage.   I find it better and more stable than PFsense.  Pfsense is great but it lacks the oomph of something like a Cisco router or a Fortinet Fortigate or even a Sophos free UTM.  I feel stupid saying this but I think I just think it's a bit unreasonable. 

It's great don't get me wrong it just feels not ready.  That's it, not ready.   Untangle I think is ready, they have the fianance behind it too and the Debian system which is great because you have access to the terminal and the gui, you also are able to setup antivirus, anti-spam, IDS, HIPS etc. 

It's really great for a free router distro.

I'm a mainstream linux guy and I like working with Debian and having it as a regular Debian server with the addition of being a router too makes it even better.  I wouldn't be surprised if you could run a terminal Window and even run an apache server on there, just ampersand it and you're all good to go.

OK, Thanks

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

idk

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Looking at the equipment you have, the money is better saved and then spent on a computer that can run Microsoft Office without issue.

Comb it with a brick

Spending £200 on a "router" that does and performs less than a £50 router and costs 10x more in electricity isn't worth it. An x86 router has it's place in the world, managing DHCP and a VPN server isn't one of them. If you're going to have all of your devices connect to a switch, the switch will be the primary LAN component while the router will only handle the WAN side of things so unless you are doing something like BGP, GRE, or something like that you can get by with a consumer router running an open source routing software (DD-WRT, Tomato, Mikrotik, etc...).

-KuJoe