Today On The Healing Bench: Two iMacs With Dead GPUs

iamdarkyoshi
Go to solution Solved by iamdarkyoshi,

Update so far: The first machine powered on, screen was very washed out and there were lots of "artifacts" everywhere. So I tried to reflow the GPU. Nothing. Tried it again for longer and hotter, no change again. So I reseated the LCD ribbon cable and the video issues are gone :D

So thats one fixed, the other is mine now xD

So I powered up the other machine. Artifacts EVERYWHERE. So I reflowed the GPU and put it back in. No artifacts at all yet, running unengine heaven as we speak! These GPUs are PATHETIC.

I think this style of post should be a thing I do. Everytime I do a repair log of something, I do it like this. Anyway....

My dad found a PC store and talked to the owner, and he told him about my fixed 270x GPU. The owner said that he had two iMacs with bad videocards, and if I can fix one, I can keep the other.

IMG_20160205_164537.thumb.jpg.17447dc03e

The two machines' EMC Numbers are 2267 and 2211.

So today I have basically made no friggin progress at all. I got the two macs and four videocards, all of which apparently do not work. Originally I was going to just bring home the videocards to try to fix, but I have no way of testing them, thus why he sent me home with two of his iMacs. So I took one of the crapples apart to put a videocard into it and confirm that the card does not work. However, the store owner forgot to give me the heatsinks for the videocards -_-

So that is as far as I got today. 

No @thekeemo I am NOT making a heatsink for it.

I didn't tell you to.. I just said slap normal heatsinks on em after taking out the mobo..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

What is a "normal" heatsink?

Desktop CPU heatsink

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

5 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Snipity Snip snip

If their GPUs are dead then go to apple?

IDK.

Why does their GPUs being dead pose a problem? they have integrated graphics ( I grant you they are abysmal but they work)

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

If their GPUs are dead then go to apple?

IDK.

Why does their GPUs being dead pose a problem? they have integrated graphics ( I grant you they are abysmal but they work)

Wait. These particular units have onboard video? How can I test this?

Wait. These particular units have onboard video? How can I test this?

they should have Intel GMA graphics.

Ummmm., do you know what year these are? If not i'll have to use a guess of 2009.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

they should have Intel GMA graphics.

Ummmm., do you know what year these are? If not i'll have to use a guess of 2009.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-2-duo-3.06-24-inch-aluminum-early-2008-penryn-specs.html First one (the one I have apart) seems to be this one.

It says that they have a dedicated gpu. If it's a 24 inch it either has a Nvidia 8800 GS or an ATI Radeon 2600 Pro.

try and plug it in and turn it on.

Tell me what happens (also plug in a keyboard and mouse)

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

It says that they have a dedicated gpu. If it's a 24 inch it either has a Nvidia 8800 GS or an ATI Radeon 2600 Pro.

Meaning put it back together with no GPU and plug it in. Got it. I will update when I get back from pizza.

38 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

You sure it would work? https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/197824/Will+my+iMac+run+without+nvidia+card

20 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Actually it appears that for whatever reason it doesn't have it.

Ummmmmm. IDK what to do. Do you know why the GPUs are dead?

44 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Actually it appears that for whatever reason it doesn't have it.

Ummmmmm. IDK what to do. Do you know why the GPUs are dead?

Overheating. They need a reflow. Probably. So far I have had 100% success on the three things I tried fixing in the past. Our attitude towards the dead cards is: "If its already fucked, no harm in fucking it up further"

I will be stopping by the store tomorrow to obtain the heatsinks... And some thermal pads, because I left them on the counter -_-

Also I opened up the second one... Nice "HDD"

2016-02-05.thumb.jpg.4b14a141daf53205763

36 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Snipity SNiptiy Snipty Snip snip

So how do you propose to "bring them back to life"?

Update so far: The first machine powered on, screen was very washed out and there were lots of "artifacts" everywhere. So I tried to reflow the GPU. Nothing. Tried it again for longer and hotter, no change again. So I reseated the LCD ribbon cable and the video issues are gone :D

So I powered up the other machine. Artifacts EVERYWHERE. So I reflowed the GPU and put it back in. No artifacts at all yet, running unengine heaven as we speak! These GPUs are PATHETIC.

16 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Hey. they're 7+ years old.

Specs of the one you are keeping? (I'm assuming you are movie g the ssd to the one you want) (also assuming you are taking the 09 one)

Not bad, quite an awesome pick up :D

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Just now, thekeemo said:

Specs of the one you are keeping? (I'm assuming you are movie g the ssd to the one you want) (also assuming you are taking the 09 one)

Ya I am taking the newer one with the SSD. Lets just say the GPU in the newer one runs unengine heaven at like 10x the framerate

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Ehh... fair enough :P

You might want to mark your update as the "mark solved". cos it contains how to fix it.

who we gonna call?

gpu fixer!

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Ya I am taking the newer one with the SSD. Lets just say the GPU in the newer one runs unengine heaven at like 10x the framerate

The GPU is that much better?