Stress Test i7 4790K software?

Alir

Note: I am using the stock cooler.

Many say to use Prime95. However I have also heard that Prime95 is dangerous for this cpu as it over volts it.

I am currently using the MSI Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. CPU temps are getting as high as 100 degrees celcius. Is this bad? The software is also letting me know that its starting to thermal throttle. Would stress testing on the stock cooler be a bad idea?

Yes... 100C is very bad... just grab a Hyper 212 or the like for say $20 and be happy... But for real, a watercooler is kinda needed if you want to overclock it at all. I've got mine chugging away at 4.848Ghz 80C

¢υѕтσм ℓσσρ σя ησтнιηg αт αℓℓ

Aida 64?

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

The older version of Prime 95 is good, but the newer could overstress your CPU.

Aida 64 is really popular. Asus Realbench is also pretty good. Note Aida 64 costs money though, while Realbench is free.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

46 minutes ago, Codyman125 said:

Yes... 100C is very bad... just grab a Hyper 212 or the like for say $20 and be happy... But for real, a watercooler is kinda needed if you want to overclock it at all. I've got mine chugging away at 4.848Ghz 80C

Has it caused any permanent damage to my CPU or mobo? I was only running the stress test for a max of 4 minutes. The temps were fluctuating between 80c and 100c

I have a Dark Rock Pro 3. But need to send it off for repair. The heatsink and fins appear to be falling apart.

2 minutes ago, Alir said:

Has it caused any permanent damage to my CPU or mobo? I was only running the stress test for a max of 4 minutes. The temps were fluctuating between 80c and 100c

Eh, doubtable at best. If anything, it may reduce lifespan, but the lifespan on these components are much longer than their usable lifespan.

1 minute ago, Codyman125 said:

Eh, doubtable at best. If anything, it may reduce lifespan, but the lifespan on these components are much longer than their usable lifespan.

So I shouldn't worry too much about it? Suffice it to say, I won't be stressing the CPU with the stock cooler again.

47 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

The older version of Prime 95 is good, but the newer could overstress your CPU.

Aida 64 is really popular. Asus Realbench is also pretty good. Note Aida 64 costs money though, while Realbench is free.

Asus Realbench? Is it just for Asus boards?

Also, which version of Prime95 is ok for my cpu? And can I use that older version to stress test an overclocked cpu?

Just now, Alir said:

So I shouldn't worry too much about it? Suffice it to say, I won't be stressing the CPU with the stock cooler again.

yeah, you're good. no big deal. modern processors thermal throttle before any meaningful damage can be done.

9 minutes ago, Alir said:

Asus Realbench? Is it just for Asus boards?

Also, which version of Prime95 is ok for my cpu? And can I use that older version to stress test an overclocked cpu?

It works with all mobos. I have an msi mobo and it works fine. They try to make it usable for everyone.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

3 hours ago, Alir said:

Note: I am using the stock cooler.

Many say to use Prime95. However I have also heard that Prime95 is dangerous for this cpu as it over volts it.

I am currently using the MSI Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. CPU temps are getting as high as 100 degrees celcius. Is this bad? The software is also letting me know that its starting to thermal throttle. Would stress testing on the stock cooler be a bad idea?

Aida64 is very good, and has a free trial version. You should check that out. But why would you feel the need to stress test if you're (I'm assuming) running at stock speeds?

3 hours ago, Codyman125 said:

No, watercooling is not at all needed for overclocking. Lower-end air coolers (like the Evo 212) should be fine for small to moderate overclocks, while high-end air coolers (like the Noctua NH-D15) is more than capable enough for serious overclocks, and in many cases beats AIO water coolers, at a lower price point.

44 minutes ago, S1dology said:

Aida64 is very good, and has a free trial version. You should check that out. But why would you feel the need to stress test if you're (I'm assuming) running at stock speeds?

No, watercooling is not at all needed for overclocking. Lower-end air coolers (like the Evo 212) should be fine for small to moderate overclocks, while high-end air coolers (like the Noctua NH-D15) is more than capable enough for serious overclocks, and in many cases beats AIO water coolers, at a lower price point.

1) I was stress testing to see how high temps would get as temps were pretty high at idle. I wanted to know of serious gaming was an option for me with the stock cooler. It isn't.

2) I also wanted to try and push the CPU to its limits and check if the CPU comes up with any errors. Check if it's stable basically since I never properly stress tested it when I built this rig a year ago.

3) I have a Dark Rock Pro 3. I just need to get it repaired.

4 hours ago, Codyman125 said:

I got that (well 4.9) with a 212 evo as well :)

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, thekeemo said:

I got that (well 4.9) with a 212 evo as well :)

I naturally assume your processor is hotter than Venus?

Just now, Alir said:

I naturally assume your processor is hotter than Venus?

85c p95

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Prime version 28,7, or 27,9.

Dont know anymore which one of it that was....

Some OC guides do NOT recomment Prime at ALL. bec ause it stresses just a few parts of the CPU, and Prime stable can still mean, the CPU is not stable in more realistic scenarios.

Realbench for a few hours should be more reasonable.

And since you are never ever using anything close to Prime... Theres no reason to go for prime stable. It needs to be game/application stable, not prime. ^^

Which Voltage and Clock speed do you use?

31 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Prime version 28,7, or 27,9.

Dont know anymore which one of it that was....

Some OC guides do NOT recomment Prime at ALL. bec ause it stresses just a few parts of the CPU, and Prime stable can still mean, the CPU is not stable in more realistic scenarios.

Realbench for a few hours should be more reasonable.

And since you are never ever using anything close to Prime... Theres no reason to go for prime stable. It needs to be game/application stable, not prime. ^^

Which Voltage and Clock speed do you use?

Stock. Stock everything. I will OC in a few months but that's after I get my Dark Rock Pro 3 back from Be Quiet -... after I send it off