Was this a good idea to do? (CPU)

Hello, this is my first on LTT.com, and I was wondering if this upgrade I made was a good $200 spent...

So, I just ordered a brand new AMD-FX 8370, upgrading from a Phenom II X6 1065 OCd at 3.3GHz, and I am wondering if there are going to be any new features or improvements (other than being able to OC up to prob 5GHz) from the previous CPU..

AMD Phenom II X6 1065T

-3.3GHz max OC

-Sat around 22ºC while at max stress under a Hyper 212 EVO, usually never reaching above 30ºC. (House ambient temp about 23ºC)

-Could do stuff fine, but is too slow for me (even though I would usually run stuff at over 60fps on high settings) with an EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX 2GB

AMD FX-8370

-should run really fast?

-should get really hot? 

-should have new OCing features?

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-Phenom-II-X6-1065T-vs-AMD-FX-8370 (the L3 cache reading is wrong with the 8370, should be 8mb)

So what can I expect from it?

Thanks. xD

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RektSkrubs/saved/#view=2DYzK8

Not too much to be honest. The IPC was better on Phenom II, it will perform better because of the higher clocked cores though. Try to return and get an i5, the upgrade is nowhere near worth that much money

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Upgrading to an i5 means a new motherboard as well. If someone is just upgrading a CPU and not the core system components (motherboard, CPU, RAM) it's not cost effective.

@RektSkrubs CPUBoss, GPUBoss and any other variant of the *Boss are usually poor quality. CPU-World is better, and there's User Benchmark (UBM). UBM is based off of user's systems, so the bench may be affected by background programs, various system components, etc; it does provide a more realistic real-world performance though.

From what I've seen here and there, an 8320 is capable of being OC to the same degree (though it's merely hear say as I haven't personally done it). I don't think you'll be getting much of a performance boost, and you'll definitely run a little warmer.

I had my 1055t up to 3.8 GHz (1.44v), and used it that way for years.  It is at stock 2.8GHz now serving in a HTPC.

The upgrade to FX is not much of an upgrade... not at all actually.  More of a sidegrade.  I recommend cancelling the order.

Well... It is at least sort of future-proof for me, as using the 1065T is fine, but is a bit old, eventually to be bottlenecking newer graphics cards... As time goes on, the 8370 may be what i consider the 1065T to be...

When I bought the new cpu i thought that my GPU was pretty much bottlenecking the old cpu, but this will be sure to alleviate bottlenecking with GPUs as time goes on.

25 minutes ago, RektSkrubs said:

Well... It is at least sort of future-proof for me, as using the 1065T is fine, but is a bit old, eventually to be bottlenecking newer graphics cards... As time goes on, the 8370 may be what i consider the 1065T to be...

When I bought the new cpu i thought that my GPU was pretty much bottlenecking the old cpu, but this will be sure to alleviate bottlenecking with GPUs as time goes on.

Psst, the FX cpu is getting "old" as well.

You have to understand that the Intel CPUs are roughly 35% faster at the same clock.  I just don't want you wasting your money.  An i5 4460 and a H97 motherboard were $230 total yesterday.  That is an upgrade.

i upgraded my wife from a chip similar to that one to a 8120 8 core and there was quite a noticeable improvement.  It won't be bonkers, but being able to just drop in a new chip was really nice for us.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

2 hours ago, stconquest said:

Psst, the FX cpu is getting "old" as well.

You have to understand that the Intel CPUs are roughly 35% faster at the same clock.  I just don't want you wasting your money.  An i5 4460 and a H97 motherboard were $230 total yesterday.  That is an upgrade.

Well I would be wasting my money and time going from an AMD rig to Intel after selling my MOBO and CPU at a lower price than I bought them for, then trying to get money somehow for an OK cpu and mobo (I am in school). I just had a friend make a $1000 PC which is kinda shit due to him getting a sortof-crap CPU and a GTX-650.

I am not going to go into everything that AMD has accomplished over Intel, that would be a bit more of an argument I would get annoyed at from 50% of LTT forums getting pissed off from a fanboy standpoint and try to make me look like a complete idiot.

Just now, RektSkrubs said:

Well I would be wasting my money and time going from an AMD rig to Intel after selling my MOBO and CPU at a lower price than I bought them for, then trying to get money somehow for an OK cpu and mobo (I am in school). I just had a friend make a $1000 PC which is kinda shit due to him getting a sortof-crap CPU and a GTX-650.

I am not going to go into everything that AMD has accomplished over Intel, that would be a bit more of an argument I would get annoyed at from 50% of LTT forums getting pissed off from a fanboy standpoint and try to make me look like a complete idiot.

I apologize if I made you feel bad. 

I was just telling your the truth.  AMD has not made big improvements to their architecture since the Phenom II days. 

:)

2 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

i upgraded my wife from a chip similar to that one to a 8120 8 core and there was quite a noticeable improvement.  It won't be bonkers, but being able to just drop in a new chip was really nice for us.

That's what I might expect, except a slight improvement above what you said, due to the CPU having a 300MHz higher turbo clock, and it being what I've heard really OCable, as long as you have a good cooler like the CM Hyper 212EVO

3 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I apologize if I made you feel bad. 

I was just telling your the truth.  AMD has not made big improvements to their architecture since the Phenom II days. 

:)

Nah, nah, its fine, I was just looking at the specs on paper, like increased L3 cache, being able to hit 5GHz, and other stuff.

Believe me, TomsHardware is where you want to start riots about AMD vs Intel...

No wonder im banned there... :D

18 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

You can expect a max of 4,5 ghz, that is if your mobo is strong enough, in multi threaded apps it should be significantly better, at least the ones that take advantage of the cores. It has newer instruction sets which help a bit as well. So it is going to feel like an upgrade especially with oc.

Good point.  The VRMs on the motherboard have to be able to handle the current necessary to support a FX 8XXX overclock.  Ideally you want 8+2 phases, you might squeak by if there are any 6 phase boards, but 4?  Not 4... you will blow out your mobo if you try to push to much power through the VRM.

5 hours ago, RektSkrubs said:

Hello, this is my first on LTT.com, and I was wondering if this upgrade I made was a good $200 spent...

So, I just ordered a brand new AMD-FX 8370, upgrading from a Phenom II X6 1065 OCd at 3.3GHz, and I am wondering if there are going to be any new features or improvements (other than being able to OC up to prob 5GHz) from the previous CPU..

AMD Phenom II X6 1065T

-3.3GHz max OC

-Sat around 22ºC while at max stress under a Hyper 212 EVO, usually never reaching above 30ºC. (House ambient temp about 23ºC)

-Could do stuff fine, but is too slow for me (even though I would usually run stuff at over 60fps on high settings) with an EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX 2GB

AMD FX-8370

-should run really fast?

-should get really hot? 

-should have new OCing features?

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-Phenom-II-X6-1065T-vs-AMD-FX-8370 (the L3 cache reading is wrong with the 8370, should be 8mb)

So what can I expect from it?

Thanks. xD

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RektSkrubs/saved/#view=2DYzK8

Was it a good idea? No. Return them as others have pointed out and get a better Intel setup for similar money. 

I went from a Phenom II x4 965BE to an 8350BE and was like......?!......this is it????

i7 6700k||Asus Z170-A||Powercolor R9 270X PCS+ 2GB||Bitfenix Prodigy M||16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4||Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD||Corsair CX850M power supply||Silverstone Tundra Series TD02-E AIO CPU cooling

If memory serves right, phenom IPC is slightly higher than FX chips. So you'll see a boost in single threaded performance, but nothing staggering. 

Seeing as you jumped from 6 cores to 8 cores, you'll see the most improvement in doing production stuff like video editing where the extra 2 core can be fully utilized. In gaming, you'll see little improvement, and those are from core performance improvement, not core count increase.

The chance of you hitting 5Ghz is EXTREMELY rare...I'm sorry. Given how aggressively AMD is binning their chips, this is a difficult lottery to win. You can expect 4.5-4.7Ghz.

Honestly, if you ask me, I suggest returning the 8370 and saving a bit more for an Intel swap.

Personally, I went from an Phenom II 970 BE (quad core 3.7Ghz) to an 8350. I was not impressed. At all. In fact I completely regret ever purchasing it (despite it being on sale at the time). I shouldn't be too surprised, I was mostly a gamer back then, so anything I did with my PC just made me want to puke with how bad the 8350 was.

Recently jumped to an 4790K, couldn't be happier.

WTF don't insult owners with Phenom II's that's not an upgrade!

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

7 hours ago, Strike105X said:

In that case go for it, some people here think money sits on fences waiting to be picked shouting i5 all day... Since you got the hardware its not worth changing it all, and hell in quite a lot of cases the FX would do better, like gta, or battlefield 4. Pretty much fallout 4 is the only modern game that demands an Intel to run good. Most other games should run acceptable, and its decent for editing and rendering as well, having four modules backing you up.

Yeah, I do a lot of 1080p 60fps editing, so this will help me a bit.

So your CPU runs cooler than the ambient temperature of your room at max load? 

lol, you're either a moron or got something seriously wrong there. 

The 8370 is about to ship with it's new cooler and the old ones are going to be on sale - not sure if that's happened already, but I'd be aware of that - and I'd probably pick up a 8320 for like ~$100-120 bucks and get pretty much the exact same performance. 

10 hours ago, RektSkrubs said:

That's what I might expect, except a slight improvement above what you said, due to the CPU having a 300MHz higher turbo clock, and it being what I've heard really OCable, as long as you have a good cooler like the CM Hyper 212EVO

The 212 Evo is not a good cooler, its an alright one.

As little as you want to hear it, that 8370 was a really poor choice, but as long as you're happy, and secure with your decision, it doesn't really matter.

Enjoy your purchase, I hope you don't end up regretting it. What's your mobo, by the way?

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

10 hours ago, Alexokan said:

So your CPU runs cooler than the ambient temperature of your room at max load? 

lol, you're either a moron or got something seriously wrong there. 

The 8370 is about to ship with it's new cooler and the old ones are going to be on sale - not sure if that's happened already, but I'd be aware of that - and I'd probably pick up a 8320 for like ~$100-120 bucks and get pretty much the exact same performance. 

Yeah, I am not perfectly sure why it is running that cool... 

this /\...

jk

9 hours ago, FruitBasketSilex said:

The 212 Evo is not a good cooler, its an alright one.

As little as you want to hear it, that 8370 was a really poor choice, but as long as you're happy, and secure with your decision, it doesn't really matter.

Enjoy your purchase, I hope you don't end up regretting it. What's your mobo, by the way?

I have a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3.. I should get decent OCs with the 8+2 Phase power delivery system.

1 minute ago, RektSkrubs said:

this is a really intense version of what it is like... /\

I have a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3.. I should get decent OCs with the 8+2 Phase power delivery system.

That was fake, a joke. 

4 minutes ago, RektSkrubs said:

this is a really intense version of what it is like... /\

Alright. That's one of the good ones. I reccomend you get an h100i or h110i and beat the shit out of that CPU. It's been on its way out for a while, and you're gonna want to pump as much as you can out of it.

Edit: use AMD overdrive for temps.

There's something with the FX chips and reporting distance to tjmax, not current temp on some programs. Someone might be able to elaborate a bit more on that.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Id just keep the EVO at this point and upgrade later. IMHO the phenom II would have been more than enough Id combine it with a GTX 960 OC. GCN GPUs are fairly dependent on CPU so an Nvidia GPU would be the best choice.

I don't want to create  debate on amd vs intel. Both are good and one of the biggest brand right now. It totally depends on how you use your PC. If you are gaming freak and want to play AAA titles in high setting  than i will recommend i5 quad core processor (i5 6500 my personal choice for budget build) , if you are using it for normal daily usage purpose than i will recommend not to upgrade. But if you want to upgrade your PC and want an amd platform than i will suggest wait and save some money and see what amd zen can do.