Why are Mac's slower at launching apps in comparison to Windows?

I'm new to the mac world and launching stuff just feels slow on my new retina macbook pro, but I've noticed the same thing happens on my friends macs. The Sata III SSD in my desktop running windows 10 manages to launch word and give me my document in less than a second, if not two. Whereas my macbook with a pcie based SSD, takes a good 5+ seconds. I'm a student with little to no time to waste.

WHAT THE HELL!

My Dad's old Celeron notebook with a Sata II SSD launches word in roughly 2-3 seconds, and even that beats out my 2015 macbook. Is this just an OS X limitation or what.

Yes using safari and stuff feels fast, but launching stuff takes forever. (yea yea first world problems 5 seconds) Pages seems to launch faster, but launching system preferences just makes me mad. Just WHY DO YOU NEED SO MUCH TIME!

Am I going insane? Is it just me? 

"Lost in the woods, but DAMN these trees are cool!"

i havent noticed that on the MBP 2015 retina that i used...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Is it just Office? The UI of OSX can make things "feel" slow, but it's not actually.

Most likely Microsoft just did a poor job optimizing Office for OSX.

Students are known for being time wasters :P

Check the random read speeds using Crystal Disk Mark, and compare them to your desktop. Apple likes to go cheap wherever they can.

blackshades on

Launching my Systems Preferences took about a second to a second and a half from the time I clicked enter to launch it and the time it came up.

I really have no idea what you're talking about.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Cut it some slack!  It can't remind you about how much money you've wasted while being fast, it's just not possible.

"As Individuals we are weak like twigs but when we come together we become a mighty faggot"

1 minute ago, Marziman said:

Cut it some slack!  It can't remind you about how much money you've wasted while being fast, it's just not possible.

Honestly, MacBooks are fantastic. I would by no means consider my MB Air a waste of money.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

2 minutes ago, Whorax said:

Honestly, MacBooks are fantastic. I would by no means consider my MB Air a waste of money.

I know, I'm just kidding.  I have a Mac mini for music editing.

"As Individuals we are weak like twigs but when we come together we become a mighty faggot"

5 seconds? I'm a student too, come on, 5 secs (only 2 of which could be avoided) won't change your life.

With that out of the way, the "problem" may be that office for mac uses different code than office for windows and therefore takes more time to launch. They are pretty heavy programs, even on an ssd they're expected to take some time to load.

It may also be that caching is disabled on your laptop for some reason - caching could significantly speed up loading after the first time.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Being a mac user as well, I don't have this issue. I installed my own Samsung 850 Evo on my Mid 2012 MacBook Pro (The fat one) and it works a charm, loads straight away. I'll test on my friends as soon as I can.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

32 minutes ago, Sauron said:

5 seconds? I'm a student too, come on, 5 secs (only 2 of which could be avoided) won't change your life.

With that out of the way, the "problem" may be that office for mac uses different code than office for windows and therefore takes more time to launch. They are pretty heavy programs, even on an ssd they're expected to take some time to load.

It may also be that caching is disabled on your laptop for some reason - caching could significantly speed up loading after the first time.

This. Sometimes we forget that MS office is very robust. All those little features use a lot of code. Even OneNote can feel sluggish at times on my PC. 

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.