g-sync monitor <60fps noticeable

Clarifiante

hi all

i've got a 980ti hooked up to a 144hz g-sync monitor. i was playing dying light which is around 85-90 fps on the outside but i happened to enter a cave and when my fps dropped below 60 i noticed lag. im operating under the impression that g-sync would make it so that you never noticed changes in fps. is my g-sync module faulty or am i being really sensitive?

Gsync is absolutely not designed to make it so that you don't notice changes in FPS, no idea where you go that from. It's designed to eliminate screen tearing. 60 fps is still going to look less smooth than 90 no matter how you slice it.

Just now, Virtual01 said:

Gsync is absolutely not designed to make it so that you don't notice changes in FPS, no idea where you go that from. It's designed to eliminate screen tearing. 60 fps is still going to look less smooth than 90 no matter how you slice it.

i must've been dreaming! oh what a world that would be if that were the case! can you believe im nitpicking when just 2 months ago i was playing fallout 4 at below 20fps on my dying laptop? lol

9 minutes ago, Clarifiante said:

i must've been dreaming! oh what a world that would be if that were the case! can you believe im nitpicking when just 2 months ago i was playing fallout 4 at below 20fps on my dying laptop? lol

The master race does things to your mind

3 hours ago, Virtual01 said:

It is designed to do both, actually. Synchronizing with the refresh rate will eliminate microstutters and make the image smoother than it normally would be. Generally it's said that 40fps feels like 60fps, and that's been my experience too.

3 hours ago, Clarifiante said:

hi all

i've got a 980ti hooked up to a 144hz g-sync monitor. i was playing dying light which is around 85-90 fps on the outside but i happened to enter a cave and when my fps dropped below 60 i noticed lag. im operating under the impression that g-sync would make it so that you never noticed changes in fps. is my g-sync module faulty or am i being really sensitive?

G-Sync doesn't make it so you'll never notice changes in FPS. G-Sync helps make it less noticeable, but it's not magic. There's nothing that can eliminate the feel of lower fps. 30 is lower than 60 which is lower than 90, there's no way to get around that completely.

6 hours ago, Glenwing said:

It is designed to do both, actually. Synchronizing with the refresh rate will eliminate microstutters and make the image smoother than it normally would be. Generally it's said that 40fps feels like 60fps, and that's been my experience too.

G-Sync doesn't make it so you'll never notice changes in FPS. G-Sync helps make it less noticeable, but it's not magic. There's nothing that can eliminate the feel of lower fps. 30 is lower than 60 which is lower than 90, there's no way to get around that completely.

its just amazing. when i play other games, when the fps drops from 140+ to 90, i don't feel it. but when i dropped from mid 90s to mid 50s it was like day and night. the difference is truly astonishing. which was why i got worrying if my g-sync was rubbish