Dune Case aka "Lawsuit in three... two..."

Zeke

So yeah, was browsing the Kickstarter, found this (also available in black):

dune2.jpg

Basically a mini-ITX case that obviously looks like a trash can Mac Pro. SFX PSU, a graphics card up to 185 mm long and two 2.5" drives.

dune5.jpg

There's no way Apple is not suing them, IMO. Although I guess half the charm of Apple system is the shared heatsink for all the components which this does not posess... What do you think about it guys? Not putting out a DP connector seems like a considerable issue to me...

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Sue them for what? It's not the same product cathegory. You can't patent things that look like trash cans.

But hey, the patent system sucks, soooo...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

well if you can patent a cylinder why dont i patent air and charge people who breath it this has gotten really ridiculous.聽聽

New:聽PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel庐 Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz,聽GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L,聽4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333, 聽ASUS RADEON R7 260X,聽Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD,聽GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT,聽BENQ GW2255,聽Hyper T4,聽Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

Hey Guys .. Thanks for all the comments here .. let me address a few of the concerns .. First thanks for your interest. It has been one year in the making. Using standard parts was a challenge to fit inside a cylindrical case. There were so many suggestions to say "yeah good enough, it works" but it didnt satisfy me. I wanted this to be tidy and easy to access. Ofcourse there are going to be limitations with size. but we were able to create this case the best of our ability and one year later you have dune case.

Lets talk about the design. First the parts used in this case can only be mini ITX and SFX psu. All small factor. We design this from the ground up.

The front panel is a custom built pcb with custom sized cables that feed to your motherboard and GPU. these connectors are also custom build so that is has enough clearance to mount. The cable from the front panel is channeled to the psu holder and then through the middle of the case and to the peripherals. The front panel will also have a mini display port options if you perfer that.

The PSU holder is very unique. This houses the PSU and also isolates the air flow into two sections of the case, CPU and GPU. The air then travels through these sections and the 140mm fan on top of the case helps pull the hot air through.

I have spent a year building this case. We had an engineer from Europe to fly down here because we could not source the talent locally. His name is Stojan Jankovic and he sacrific time away from his family to do this. I am very grateful for his support. Also when doing this we did do our due diligence and seek professional advice. And based on that we spent one year building something for the community.

I hope you all like what we have done. We have had this ready for production and no short cuts have been made in design. Days of discussion has been talked about from connectors, placement of mobo, gpu, cable management and thermals. Please rest assure we looked at all that and it took one year not 1 months for a quick sale.

I hope you can all support kickstarter and any questions i am happy to answer.

Thanks

Also I forgot to mention that mDP with be an option at no addition

Just just I聽cant even....

So everything on the "Front panel" are basically just extensions, right? Or is like Something that plus into pcie? no way you can find those headers. What are the cpu cooler limits ? Dedicated Gpu? Motherboard orientation? ( I hope IO up as I expect xD)

Could have saved a shit ton by coming up with a nice way to bundle the cables instead of extensions/custom pcb. I would also have enabled future compatibility聽etc.

________________________________________________________EDIT

I should have looked thoroughly before starting to bitch. Looks great @dunecase. Still would have prefered a good way to reach the mb/gpu IO. Now I can only use the ports on the panel. what if I dont have 2 HDMI? Or a new standard comes out? (USB-C)聽

Edited by QBtech

@dunecase聽Oh wow, the last thing I've expected while making this is the creator of the case showing up :D You guys are making a bold move, and while I'm not gonna buy one (because I don't need a case right now) I hope you succeed.

Link?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said: 聽"Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters. 聽I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

2 minutes ago, dunecase said:

Hmm, that's Pretty interesting, i kinda want one, but have no money now :(

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said: 聽"Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters. 聽I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

16 hours ago, spwath said:

Hmm, that's Pretty interesting, i kinda want one, but have no money now :(

I like how it's cheaper than the NCase while offering mostly the same functionality (i.e. being a neat ITX case)

I'm definitely backing this one up, was doing diagrams after I saw luke's episode on Fallout's bomb, it's complicated as hell, so I do really appreciate the work being done with this case

@dunecase聽why not mounting the motherboard in a standard way a simple 250mm raiser card like the one manufactured by 3M would suffice there, yes you would bend that 90 degrees to achieve the same聽position for the GPU; that way you would not need the custom made PCB (but also would look uglier)