One or more missing network protocols

willbradbury
Go to solution Solved by beavo451,
35 minutes ago, willbradbury said:

I turned the router off but the "unidentified network" message persists, it's only when I unplug the ethernet cable that it dissappears. 

The 169.XXX number that your computer has is the default IP address when it can't get a DHCP address from your router. Since everything else works, it is a problem with your internal network and not with the ISP.

Some basic stuff (I know you said that you already tried a bunch of stuff) to try.

1. Reboot router

2. Try a different Ethernet cable

3. Have the router release all DHCP leases and restart the DHCP server

4. Reset router to factory defaults

5. Try a new router

8 minutes ago, willbradbury said:

This is probably a stupid question but is the IP the same for all computers on the router 

No. Use these resources to get IP address from a Windows computer: http://www.linksys.com/eg/support-article?articleNum=142941 and http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/find-computers-ip-address#1TC=windows-7

Let's say you got the IP address of one of the laptop and it's 192.168.1.109, its subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and default gateway of 192.168.1.1. Setup static IP on the computer that can't get online to the following:

IP address: 192.168.1.200
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DNS: 8.8.8.8

Verify if you can get that computer online.

41 minutes ago, MeshFile said:

No. Use these resources to get IP address from a Windows computer: http://www.linksys.com/eg/support-article?articleNum=142941 and http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/find-computers-ip-address#1TC=windows-7

Let's say you got the IP address of one of the laptop and it's 192.168.1.109, its subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and default gateway of 192.168.1.1. Setup static IP on the computer that can't get online to the following:

Ok thanks, I'll have to do it later because at school now. I'll post on here if it works

I still think it's something in the IP stack. Can you take and post a screenshot of it? Windows Key + R > NCPA.CPL > Right click "Local Area Connection", left click "Properties". Should look like this. I think something in there is breaking the DHCP process. Probably something that downloaded with some other program.

49 minutes ago, Trikein said:

I still think it's something in the IP stack. Can you take and post a screenshot of it? Windows Key + R > NCPA.CPL > Right click "Local Area Connection", left click "Properties". Should look like this. I think something in there is breaking the DHCP process. Probably something that downloaded with some other program.

I can't take a picture with my phone because the camera is buggered, but the list is: 

-Client for Microsoft networks 

-File and printer sharing for Microsoft networks 

-QoS packet scheduler 

-Link layer topology discovery responder 

-Link layer topology discovery mapper I/O driver 

- Microsoft network adapter multiplexor protocol 

-Internal protocol version 4 

-Microsoft LLDP protocol driver 

-Internal protocol version 6 

The only one unchecked it the Microsoft network adapter multiplexor protocol 

3 hours ago, MeshFile said:

Just because i dont know something, doesn't mean im trolling idiot

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

4 hours ago, MeshFile said:

It didn't work, annoyingly 

Check physical connection (assuming your computer is connected by wire based on your update). Plug it in to a different port on the router.

If it is wireless, then view wireless networks, tell it to forget the wireless network, and re-join it and carefully type your password. Sometimes you can force a connection to a wireless router with the wrong password and while "connected" all packets are dropped. I believe this is more of a windows glitch/bug.

When you used @MeshFile 's instructions, did you use his information exactly or did you check your sister's computer to see the IP and adjust accordingly? If so, what IP schema did you end up entering? Did you ping the router after setting the IP Address?

If you log in to the router, navigate around to the DHCP settings or status, see if you can view current DHCP leases - look for your computer and just delete the lease. You might have to google to find this if you aren't familiar ("Router Model" how to release DHCP lease).

4 hours ago, willbradbury said:

I can't take a picture with my phone because the camera is buggered, but the list is: 

-Client for Microsoft networks 

-File and printer sharing for Microsoft networks 

-QoS packet scheduler 

-Link layer topology discovery responder 

-Link layer topology discovery mapper I/O driver 

- Microsoft network adapter multiplexor protocol 

-Internal protocol version 4 

-Microsoft LLDP protocol driver 

-Internal protocol version 6 

The only one unchecked it the Microsoft network adapter multiplexor protocol 

Try disabling Microsoft LLDP protocol driver then disabling/enabling the adapter.  Do you know how that and the Multiplexor got installed? Do you use them?

22 hours ago, willbradbury said:

Ok I'll try those, I use 2 TP-Link wifi extenders to connect my Pc to the router wirelessly but I don't think they're the reason because the same problem popped up when I plugged my pc straight into the router

When you say adaptor do you mean the adaptor multiplexor protocol? I did disable the LLDP because my sisters laptop didn't have it enabled but it didn't seem to do anything. I'll try again 

13 minutes ago, Trikein said:

Try disabling Microsoft LLDP protocol driver then disabling/enabling the adapter.  Do you know how that and the Multiplexor got installed? Do you use them?

When you say adaptor do you mean the adaptor multiplexor protocol? I did disable the LLDP because my sisters laptop didn't have it enabled but it didn't seem to do anything. I'll try again. 

16 minutes ago, Trikein said:

And no I don't know how they got installed. 

7 hours ago, willbradbury said:

It didn't work, annoyingly 

What's the information regarding network connections other devices on your local network has? Post it here.

Once you do setup a valid IP address on your local network to the affected computer, what error message did you get when pinging the router and an address over the Internet (like linustechtips.com)?

So I changed the IP to: 

Address  192.168.1.200 

Subnet.mask.  255.255.255.0 

Gateway 192.168.1.1 

DNS Server 8.8.8.8 

Then trouble shooting said to turn the router off then on . I did. (it also said something about the modem). Now trouble shooting says the default gateway is not available 

So we have advanced form missing network protocols. I think the IP for IPv4 was just missing.

Just changed the default gateway to 192.168.1.2 and the "Investigate router or broadband modem issues" trouble shoot message came up. It says I should 1) unplug or turn off the device 2) once all the lights are off wait 10 seconds 

Troubleshooting skips between saying the default gateway is unavailable to the router modem is has issues 

Changing your IP info shouldn't be required for normal use. I think it was just suggested to troubleshoot. Almost all routers use DHCP to automatically give out private IPs to your devices. If other devices are getting online without having to change their IP info, then so should the desktop. Since it doesn't there must be something blocking DHCP from working correctly on the desktop. If you already tried rebooting and disabling the non required items in the connection properties, I would suggest trying Safe Mode with Networking. See here. This will temporarily disable all non required programs from starting, removing the possibility that a AV program or something else is causing the issue. 

2 hours ago, Trikein said:

Changing your IP info shouldn't be required for normal use. I think it was just suggested to troubleshoot. Almost all routers use DHCP to automatically give out private IPs to your devices. If other devices are getting online without having to change their IP info, then so should the desktop. Since it doesn't there must be something blocking DHCP from working correctly on the desktop. If you already tried rebooting and disabling the non required items in the connection properties, I would suggest trying Safe Mode with Networking. See here. This will temporarily disable all non required programs from starting, removing the possibility that a AV program or something else is causing the issue. 

But I reset my PC so there is no AV or applications