One or more missing network protocols

willbradbury
Go to solution Solved by beavo451,
35 minutes ago, willbradbury said:

I turned the router off but the "unidentified network" message persists, it's only when I unplug the ethernet cable that it dissappears. 

The 169.XXX number that your computer has is the default IP address when it can't get a DHCP address from your router. Since everything else works, it is a problem with your internal network and not with the ISP.

Some basic stuff (I know you said that you already tried a bunch of stuff) to try.

1. Reboot router

2. Try a different Ethernet cable

3. Have the router release all DHCP leases and restart the DHCP server

4. Reset router to factory defaults

5. Try a new router

Right, so yesterday my broadband went down. I sorted it out, my sister got Internet on her laptop, we got it on our phones, WiFi on all the devices. Except my desktop. 

I have connection, but it says "unauthorised connection" and it has the little yellow warning sign. When I troubleshoot it tells me "one or more network protocols are missing". I've scoured the Internet for fixes, some resetting winsock some resetting the IP, no luck. I can't add a new protocol for IPv4 or IPv6 because the group policy is blocked. I even reset my PC. I tried disabling the NetBIOS for TCP/IP, didn't work, basically none of the lots of things I've tried have worked.

Any help would be much appreciated, I don't know how much longer I can go without Steam and Youtube. 

UPDATE: The network connection details as follows: 

Description: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller 

Physical Address: 34-64-A9-0C-F1-9A 

DHCP Enable: Yes 

Autoconfiguration IPv4: 169.254.99.225 

IPv4 Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

IPv4 Default Gateway: 

IPv4 DNS Server: 

IPv4 WINS Server: 

NetBIOS over Tcpip En...: Yes 

Link-local IPv6 Address: le80: ac0b fa14: 8df8: 63e1%3 

IPv6 Default Gateway 

IPv6 DNS Servers: fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1

fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1                                           fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

Controller: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller 

8 minutes ago, willbradbury said:

Right, so yesterday my broadband went down. I sorted it out, my sister got Internet on her laptop, we got it on our phones, WiFi on all the devices. Except my desktop. 

I have connection, but it says "unauthorised connection" and it has the little yellow warning sign. When I troubleshoot it tells me "one or more network protocols are missing". I've scoured the Internet for fixes, some resetting winsock some resetting the IP, no luck. I can't add a new protocol for IPv4 or IPv6 because the group policy is blocked. I even reset my PC. I tried disabling the NetBIOS for TCP/IP, didn't work, basically none of the lots of things I've tried have worked.

Any help would be much appreciated, I don't know how much longer I can go without Steam and Youtube. 

Controller: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller 

are you admin on this system,?

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

unplug your router 

wait a day

fixed

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

7 minutes ago, PCgamer324 said:

are you admin on this system,?

Yes I am 

6 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

unplug your router 

wait a day

fixed

I can't just unplug my router for 24hrs, other people need wifi 

Just now, willbradbury said:

do it for 1 hour then

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

if it doesnt fix, dont tell me i warned you

maxresdefault.jpg

1 minute ago, babadoctor said:

do it for 1 hour then

It's really not simple, I messed about with the router for ages yesterday, and with the TP-Link wifi extenders they aren't the problem 

It's really not simple, I messed about with the router for ages yesterday, and with the TP-Link wifi extenders they aren't the problem 

trust me

it is

the DHCP client needs to be renewed

15 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

trust me

it is

Ok I'll try 

What is the error verbatim? Do you have a VPN or anything special running on that desktop? Wonder if part of your troubleshooting your IP changed and your VPN doesn't like it because not using white listed IP? Try disabling anything you may have like that. Also try disabling the local area connection then enabling it. If it locked with a 169 IP, that can cause secondary issues. Don't see why your DHCP would need to be refreshed if your router can get a public IP (via DHCP) for the other computers. 

Also what modem/gateway and router do you have?

24 minutes ago, Trikein said:

What is the error verbatim? Do you have a VPN or anything special running on that desktop? Wonder if part of your troubleshooting your IP changed and your VPN doesn't like it because not using white listed IP? Try disabling anything you may have like that. Also try disabling the local area connection then enabling it. If it locked with a 169 IP, that can cause secondary issues. Don't see why your DHCP would need to be refreshed if your router can get a public IP (via DHCP) for the other computers. 

Also what modem/gateway and router do you have?

I live in the UK, we recently got fibre optic broadband, and so I don't know what the router is called but if you know what the standard BT (British telecom) or Plusnet router is then it's that. 

I don't think I have any special VPN. I'll have to check. 

1 hour ago, babadoctor said:

trust me

it is

Normally you can renew a DHCP lease from the router itself. Or call the ISP. Both are much quicker than sitting around for a few hours.

14 minutes ago, beavo451 said:

Normally you can renew a DHCP lease from the router itself. Or call the ISP. Both are much quicker than sitting around for a few hours.

I turned the router off but the "unidentified network" message persists, it's only when I unplug the ethernet cable that it dissappears. 

35 minutes ago, willbradbury said:

The 169.XXX number that your computer has is the default IP address when it can't get a DHCP address from your router. Since everything else works, it is a problem with your internal network and not with the ISP.

Some basic stuff (I know you said that you already tried a bunch of stuff) to try.

1. Reboot router

5. Try a new router

1 hour ago, beavo451 said:

1. Reboot router

5. Try a new router

Ok I'll try those, I use 2 TP-Link wifi extenders to connect my Pc to the router wirelessly but I don't think they're the reason because the same problem popped up when I plugged my pc straight into the router

1 hour ago, willbradbury said:

Ok I'll try those, I use 2 TP-Link wifi extenders to connect my Pc to the router wirelessly but I don't think they're the reason because the same problem popped up when I plugged my pc straight into the router

Forgot one. Reinstall drivers for your computer's network interface.

9 hours ago, beavo451 said:

Forgot one. Reinstall drivers for your computer's network interface.

If you mean the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller I did that and it didn't work, thanks for the help 

@babadoctor is just trolling you. If other devices on the same network can get internet, the fix is not unplugging the router and waiting for 1hour - 24 hours. First of all, that is only if you want to renew the WAN IP (Internet IP) of your router; not the local IP of the affected computer.

Good practice is troubleshooting using the OSI model and starting from the physical layer, data link, ... application. Of course there are exceptions.

@willbradbury: Do the following and check the IP after each one to see if it is getting an IP from your router's DHCP server.

1. Use other known working Ethernet cable
  2. Use other Ethernet port on the router/switch.
  3. Setup static IP on the computer and use other devices' IP address as reference; check if it can get online.

2 hours ago, MeshFile said:

@babadoctor is just trolling you. If other devices on the same network can get internet, the fix is not unplugging the router and waiting for 1hour - 24 hours. First of all, that is only if you want to renew the WAN IP (Internet IP) of your router; not the local IP of the affected computer.

Good practice is troubleshooting using the OSI model and starting from the physical layer, data link, ... application. Of course there are exceptions.

@willbradbury: Do the following and check the IP after each one to see if it is getting an IP from your router's DHCP server.

1. Use other known working Ethernet cable
  2. Use other Ethernet port on the router/switch.
  3. Setup static IP on the computer and use other devices' IP address as reference; check if it can get online.

Ok, thanks. Do I check the DHCP server from the pc controlling the router? 

This is all new to me, im good with computers, just not router's or IPs. 

No need. It works fine as it provides IP to other devices.

10 minutes ago, MeshFile said:

The router works fine? 

14 minutes ago, MeshFile said:

This is probably a stupid question but is the IP the same for all computers on the router