EVGA GTX980 Ti SC+ High idle temps

CadGamings

I have a stock EVGA GTX980 Ti SC+, so with the axc 2.0 cooler on it. But even at idle it runs a 64 C, is this normal?

At idle the usage is around 2% but the clock speed is still 800 MHz and power is at 50%.

I know the card has silent operation mode on it, so the fans wont really spin up unless it has to.

I have a NZXT H440 case so not the best airflow but still 64 C at idle same a little high. 

And in-game the card will go to only 73 ish C but the fans will spin up faster.

I also run 3 monitors one of wich runs at 144 Hz.

Should a adjust the fan profile or just leave it like it is?

33 minutes ago, CadGamings said:

I have a stock EVGA GTX980 Ti SC+, so with the axc 2.0 cooler on it. But even at idle it runs a 64 C, is this normal?

At idle the usage is around 2% but the clock speed is still 800 MHz and power is at 50%.

I know the card has silent operation mode on it, so the fans wont really spin up unless it has to.

I have a NZXT H440 case so not the best airflow but still 64 C at idle same a little high. 

The idle temps should be sitting in the realms of about 50C-65C, so I wouldn't worry about it. As long as your in game temps aren't stupid high, then there looks to be no issue. The high idle temps will be due to the fanless operation at idle. If you want, you can adjust the fan profile in something like MSI Afterburner to a fan curve you are more comfortable with.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

sounds like an abnormality to me and an RMA case to EVGA, should idle probably around 45 max in my experience but I may be wrong on that, but you could do a fan profile, or even replace the thermal paste and see if that helps, it won't void the warranty either. I run my fans at 25-50%, can barely hear them too

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

14 minutes ago, TheCaptain53 said:

The idle temps should be sitting in the realms of about 50C-65C, so I wouldn't worry about it. As long as your in game temps are stupid high, then there looks to be no issue. The high idle temps will be due to the fanless operation at idle. If you want, you can adjust the fan profile in something like MSI Afterburner to a fan curve you are more comfortable with.

Dude !! they should be sitting at the 30°C range 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

clean it up, change the thermal paste, update the driver, if all fails, RMA to EVGA 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

1 minute ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

Dude !! they should be sitting at the 30°C range 

For the fanless cards?

I own the GTX 970 SSC as well (the one without the rubbish designed cooler) and it does NOT sit at 30C when idle. My Titan X sits at 50C when idle, mainly because I get the fans spinning at about 50C (I modified the BIOS). In my experience, the idle temp for these fanless cards is at or a little less than when the fans start spinning.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Hold up, there is a lot of misinformation here.

You are running a 144hz monitor, meaning that your card is going to run at a higher frequency than the normal idle speeds. Nvidia said they fixed this, but they haven't. I still get the same issue.

That higher clock speed is going to produce a little more heat. 65C is perfectly fine for the card to idle at with no fan speed. Mine do exactly the same thing and you should not be worried about your card. Don't go tearing it apart to try to get the temps down. Listen to what @TheCaptain53 said.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

3 minutes ago, TheCaptain53 said:

For the fanless cards?

I own the GTX 970 SSC as well (the one without the rubbish designed cooler) and it does NOT sit at 30C when idle. My Titan X sits at 50C when idle, mainly because I get the fans spinning at about 50C (I modified the BIOS). In my experience, the idle temp for these fanless cards is at or a little less than when the fans start spinning.

you're right, i use 760's, so i haven't got much experience with fanless, but still 50~65 at idle is NOT good at all, longevity, ring any bells 

you're right, i use 760's, so i haven't got much experience with fanless, but still 50~65 at idle is NOT good at all, longevity, ring any bells 

I personally wouldn't worry about it, or everyone should be worried about their cards reaching 80C during an intense gaming session. 60C sustained isn't a big deal and shouldn't negatively impact the longevity of a card to any noticeable degree.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, TheCaptain53 said:

I personally wouldn't worry about it, or everyone should be worried about their cards reaching 80C during an intense gaming session. 60C sustained isn't a big deal and shouldn't negatively impact the longevity of a card to any noticeable degree.

Reaching 75-80°C during Intense gameplay is fine, yeah, but sustained at 65°C i don't want to sound like a know it all, but i for once would be worried sick, for ex : my 760's max out at 70°C during winter times( i do run the fans at sustained 80%) just that Temps are sort of a phobia for me 

Reaching 75-80°C during Intense gameplay is fine, yeah, but sustained at 65°C i don't want to sound like a know it all, but i for once would be worried sick, for ex : my 760's max out at 70°C during winter times( i do run the fans at sustained 80%) just that Temps are sort of a phobia for me 

I would be more concerned about running the fans at 80% all the time, they will wear out faster.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, TheCaptain53 said:
6 minutes ago, TheCaptain53 said:

I would be more concerned about running the fans at 80% all the time, they will wear out faster.

just when i game, when idling i set em at Auto, and hey, better replace a cooler with a watter block that buy a new Graphics card 

6 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

just when i game, when idling i set em at Auto, and hey, better replace a cooler with a watter block that buy a new Graphics card 

What 760 is it? I bought a Gigabyte 760 a few months back for £70, and man, that cooler is massive! Almost the same size (may have been a little bigger) than my Titan X!

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, TheCaptain53 said:

What 760 is it? I bought a Gigabyte 760 a few months back for £70, and man, that cooler is massive! Almost the same size (may have been a little bigger) than my Titan X!

The Msi Gaming 

1 hour ago, CadGamings said:

Unfortunately for you. That's life. You have more then one monitor, you have a 144hz panel, you have the stock cooler. This issue has plagued Nvidia cards since the 700 series. 

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/Testing-GPU-Power-Draw-Increased-Refresh-Rates-using-ASUS-PG279Q

Pcper did a testing on this sometime ago. Basically any refresh rate above 120hz will have the 980 Ti with increased idle clock and power draw. 

I suggest bringing down your refresh rate. Nvidia has been trying to fix this. But till today it hasn't been resolved.  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

My GTX 980 Ti reference design idles at about 34°C in a room which is 21°C

I hope this information helps you.

[never touch a running system]

1 hour ago, TheCaptain53 said:

The idle temps should be sitting in the realms of about 50C-65C, so I wouldn't worry about it. As long as your in game temps aren't stupid high, then there looks to be no issue. The high idle temps will be due to the fanless operation at idle. If you want, you can adjust the fan profile in something like MSI Afterburner to a fan curve you are more comfortable with.

50C-65C?

Mine's sitting at 40C with the fans at 0rpm.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

2 hours ago, Masada02 said:

Hold up, there is a lot of misinformation here.

You are running a 144hz monitor, meaning that your card is going to run at a higher frequency than the normal idle speeds. Nvidia said they fixed this, but they haven't. I still get the same issue.

That higher clock speed is going to produce a little more heat. 65C is perfectly fine for the card to idle at with no fan speed. Mine do exactly the same thing and you should not be worried about your card. Don't go tearing it apart to try to get the temps down. Listen to what @TheCaptain53 said.

Yep. If you change from 144 Hz to 60 you'll see that it's perfectly fine.

My 980ti is doing the exact same thing (idle at 52°C with 144Hz, 30°C when at 60Hz).

@DumbTrollface@Pohernori @Masada02 It indeed has to do with the 144Hz. Mine only goes to 100Hz than it still runs at 886 MHz. And going lower would beat the point of the monitor anyways. 

Would it be smart to set the fan profile higher? Because this is a ''fanless mode'' card. But it never is fanless because of this. 

Or would it be smart or usefull to buy the Corsair HG10 N980 with a AIO cooler?

Temps and fan speeds are low because this was a minute after a reboot :D

GPU Stats.jpg

My Card idle now 135mhz @45° 0db with a single 144hz 1440p Display.  With an old driver the card didnt clock down and it was 1000mhz@60°.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

32 minutes ago, CadGamings said:

@DumbTrollface@Pohernori @Masada02 It indeed has to do with the 144Hz. Mine only goes to 100Hz than it still runs at 886 MHz. And going lower would beat the point of the monitor anyways. 

Would it be smart to set the fan profile higher? Because this is a ''fanless mode'' card. But it never is fanless because of this. 

I wouldn't bother buy an aftermarket cooler for the card, the one that's on there is already very good. Personally, I'd just leave it alone but if you'd prefer to see lower temps create a custom fan curve and have the lowest setting be like 10% until you hit 60C then have it ramp up from there.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

59 minutes ago, CadGamings said:

I'd suggest just setting a profile. Other thing you can do is also keep bugging nvidia till they fix it. Pretty unacceptable especially when its already happened for 2 generations.  

And you paid good money for a 980 Ti. At no point in time should it ever consume more power than a fury at idle. 

But If you feel like spending some cash then that aio is also an option. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

3 hours ago, CadGamings said:

I actually would leave it since 60°C won't hurt the card in any way and I'd choose silence over slightly higher temps (just my opinion thou).

But if you feel uncomfortable with these temps I would just adjust the fanspeed. Like @Masada02 said the cooler on the card is really good and spending extra cash seems unnecessary

Thanks every one, I hope they will fix it......ever. For now I'll just tune the fan profile a little.