Telephone jack to Ethernet?

darthvaderdeep

Hey, 

I have multiple phone jacks in my house, but not any ethernet ports. Is it possible to turn those all into Ethernet port without spending more than $10-15 each? Plz help.Thx. 

4 minutes ago, darthvaderdeep said:

Hey, 

I have multiple phone jacks in my house, but not any ethernet ports. Is it possible to turn those all into Ethernet port without spending more than $10-15 each? Plz help.Thx. 

It really comes down to the wires that were run to get the jacks there. You see, most of these phone jack wires are run with Cat3 cable, rather than Cat5, Cat5e or Cat6 cables. Although there are some companies that prefer to run the Cat5 cables instead of keeping multiple inventory (they are just copper right?). The real problem if they are cat3 is that they only have 2 pair, as compared to 4 with Ethernet and Cat5.

Ok so TL;DR, i know i know. Basically if you lucked out and they ran Cat5 or higher cable to the jacks, your golden and it can be done on the cheap. If not, then it really isnt worth it. You could technically get them to work but its not worth it.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

1 minute ago, tbroadwater2010 said:

It really comes down to the wires that were run to get the jacks there. You see, most of these wires are run with Cat3 cable, rather than Cat5, Cat5e or Cat6 cables. Although there are some companies that prefer to run the Cat5 cables instead of keeping multiple inventory (they are just copper right?). The real problem if they are cat3 is that they only have 2 pair, as compared to 4 with Ethernet and Cat5.

Ok so TL;DR, i know i know. Basically if you lucked out and they ran Cat5 or higher cable to the jacks, your golden and it can be done on the cheap. If not, then it really isnt worth it. You could technically get them to work but its not worth it.

is there any way I can add a adapter to the telephone cables? 

Just now, darthvaderdeep said:

Honestly, i wouldnt. Most of the newer computers and ethrenet adapters/routers look for all 4 pair (8 wires) to run correctly. You would be setting yourself up for failure. If you can rerun the wires, do that. If not, then dont do it.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

Cut both ends of the telephone cable, tape one end of CAT5e/CAT6 to one end of the telephone cable, pull the other end of the telephone cable and TA DA! you have an ethernet cable ran through the wall. Just terminate both ends with an RJ-45 connector/plug.

-KuJoe

5 minutes ago, darthvaderdeep said:

Not in any usable fashion they do not have the proper number of conductors in them as ethernet does, some newer homes have CAT5e for everything inducing telephone lines so it's only then really where you can have a RJ45/RJ11 connector which is useful. If your looking at running ethernet to another part of the home without pulling cable, you can try looking into powerline ethernet which uses the electrical wiring in the home. 

If you're looking to have wired connection, I would look at powerline. I have it and it's pretty good for what it is.  decent kits start at $30 but it's worth it.

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

Cut both ends of the telephone cable, tape one end of CAT5e/CAT6 to one end of the telephone cable, pull the other end of the telephone cable and TA DA! you have an ethernet cable ran through the wall. Just terminate both ends with an RJ-45 connector/plug.

I would have suggested this but he said around $15 and the wire itself to pull would probably be more than this unfortunately, depending on the runs.

Just now, tbroadwater2010 said:

I would have suggested this but he said around $15 and the wire itself to pull would probably be more than this unfortunately, depending on the runs.

Good point, I tend to forget people don't keep a 1k foot spool laying around their house for stuff like this. :D

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

Good point, I tend to forget people don't keep a 1k foot spool laying around their house for stuff like this. :D

I know, i have a box for JIC purposes but i guess not everyone thinks that way. LOL

On a semi-related note: If you want a lot of ethernet cable for cheap/free, try to find an office that's being retrofitted with CAT6 or fiber. I was able to get a few thousand feet of CAT5e and even about 50 6-8 foot pre-terminated CAT6 cables they had left over when they were done for free (the wife was not thrilled).

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, tbroadwater2010 said:

I know, i have a box for JIC purposes but i guess not everyone thinks that way. LOL

Always prepared for anything :D 

@darthvaderdeep your best bet is probably an entry level powerline option as said it will require no work other than plugging in the two adapter and ethernet cables, just note that if the wiring in the home is very old it tends to degrade the speeds.