CPU Under-performing Only one core detected in Diagnostic tool!

Hi! I have a I7 4790@3.60Ghz, I recently noticed it was underperforming. I updated the drivers. I then done an Intel Diagnostic scan and it said it could only find 1 physical core, though when I go into device manager it has 8 of them. I tried using certain un-parking programs to un-park these cores, just in case they were parked in the first place. To no avail it still says I only have one core on the Intel Diagnostic tool, I thoroughly believe this is why my CPU is under-performing: because only one core is actually doing anything. But I am still not sure, any help to how to fix this would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Are you actually seeing less performance or are you just worried about what the diagnostic tool is telling you?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@WoodenMarker No, I am positive it is under-performing. Games such as Arma and DayZ as you may or may not know are very CPU intensive, yet people with the same processor as me run it like a charm, while I run it like a much worse processor. It also affects many other games as Fallout 4 and GTA 5 both say my CPU doesn't meet the minimum requirements, or the amount of cores at least...

@thatguyyouknow75 No, I believe it is not on, it is also running at below 47 of the maximum temperature, or so it states on the Diagnostic tool.

Have you tried resetting your motherboard settings to optimized defaults?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 minutes ago, Robertsson said:

No, I believe it is not on, it is also running at below 47 of the maximum temperature, or so it states on the Diagnostic tool.

@WoodenMarker No..  But I will try it, thanks for your help! But, is it 'safe' and also, what would I have to do?

Edited by Robertsson

Check the BIOS (or I guess its UEFI at this point) to see if the motherboard sees all 8 threads. 

4790 is only a quad core btw, not 8. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

@Brink2Three @WoodenMarker Thanks guys, I figured out how to do it and did so. But to no alas it still says I have one physical core and seems to be underperforming. Pretty gutted seeming as it was gift from my girlfriend for Christmas as my old processor was fucked aswell. 

Use something like MSI afterburner and run a high end game for a couple of minutes. Use task manager if you need to. Just because you have 4 cores and 8 threads doesn't mean that a program will use all of them. Using afterburner check and see if your cores are hitting 100% while running.

Also, how much RAM do you have? I checked your profile but your full system specs aren't listed.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

@DragonTamer1 I have 16GB of RAM, Corsair Vengence. Thanks, I will try that now mate.