To wait (for GPUs) or no

Would you wait for Pascal/Polaris?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Would you?

• Yes, I would wait for the next line no matter what though.
    • Yes, but I think this a special case, typically I wouldn't wait.
    • No, waiting for the next big thing never pays off.

It most likely comes down to the individual's upgrade schedule. Those on 700 or R9 200 cards will be looking forward to Pascal and Polaris the most, while those on Maxwell or R9 300 cards will be waiting for Gtx 1100 and R9 500 cards (or for whenever the flagship/high end of Pascal and Polaris come down in price, whichever comes 1st).

The jump will bring significant performance improvement, we just don't know how they will be priced, so it's hard to predict how much buyer's remorse there will be.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

AMD should enjoy being the leader in performance if Nvidia holds onto their usual release schedule. If their flagship offering can beat a 1080 that is. Complete crystal ball guess from the hip but I'd say the 1080 should come in above the 980ti as much as the 980ti comes in over a 980. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I've been debating on wether or not to get a 980ti or a 970 and then upgrade when the new gen comes out. I don't think the newest generation will live up to the massive hype train, I'm sure we will see a decent increase in performance but if you buy a 980ti today you won't be suffering from low frame rates anytime soon. After the next gen drops then I'm sure I can get a second 980ti for a really good price and have an amazing setup that will beat the piss out of a single next gen card