ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer C-States

I asked this question a couple days ago, but my wording was screwy and I can't find the topic now, so... Here we go.

I've been trying to overclock on my new ASUS board, but for the life of me I cannot get C-States to work. I enabled them all and fiddled with every setting I could think of- It just forces constant voltage. Anyone have any ideas?

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

youre propably using high performance power settings in windows, change to balanced. only eist (speedstep) will reduce voltage in balanced mode.

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

C States are about dropping clock frequencies during inactivity, not lowering voltage. That's a separate feature and the two are intended to work together, but having C states on does NOT guarantee voltage dropping with the clock frequencies. That won't happen unless you're using adaptive voltage. Manual voltage with an offset can do this too, but it's not straightforward to get that working right.

1 minute ago, Lotus said:

C States are about dropping clock frequencies during inactivity, not lowering voltage. That's a separate feature and the two are intended to work together, but having C states on does NOT guarantee voltage dropping with the clock frequencies. That won't happen unless you're using adaptive voltage. Manual voltage with an offset can do this too, but it's not straightforward to get that working right.

hes right, forgot about adaptive voltage as im always using apdative voltage. worth to mention it only works with a BCLK of 100. BCLK of 125 and up can only use fixed and offset.

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

14 hours ago, Lotus said:

That's strange. On my old board, C-States lowered the voltage without touching the clock (The clock was constant). Is there any way to achieve that on my new board?

1 hour ago, Dash Lambda said:

That's strange. On my old board, C-States lowered the voltage without touching the clock (The clock was constant). Is there any way to achieve that on my new board?

Adaptive voltage is what you want.

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

Adaptive voltage is what you want.

But wouldn't that remove my control over the voltage entirely? Like, instead of me setting a target voltage and it stepping down, it would just go as high as it likes, right?

Depends on the motherboard manufacturer. Some allow you to set targets for adaptive mode. If not, going with manual voltage with an offset can do the trick, but it's not straitforward. Honestly, I never messed with these much so someone else may be the best person to tell you. I didn't see a need to have my voltage drop when not under load because the only drawback are a few pennies on my electricity bill.

Just now, Lotus said:

Depends on the motherboard manufacturer. Some allow you to set targets for adaptive mode. If not, going with manual voltage with an offset can do the trick, but it's not straitforward.

I'll have to explore a little...

I won't be very happy if my nice new ASUS board doesn't work as well as my old shitty Gigabyte board...

19 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Depends on the motherboard manufacturer. Some allow you to set targets for adaptive mode. If not, going with manual voltage with an offset can do the trick, but it's not straitforward. Honestly, I never messed with these much so someone else may be the best person to tell you. I didn't see a need to have my voltage drop when not under load because the only drawback are a few pennies on my electricity bill.

The reason I care about this is that I don't want to pump 1.3v through my CPU 24/7. It just seems excessive and potentially harmful.

8 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

The reason I care about this is that I don't want to pump 1.3v through my CPU 24/7. It just seems excessive and potentially harmful.

It's not.

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

I tried it a little while ago, and I don't even care anymore about the safety of it, running 1.3v through my CPU makes my computer sound like a bloody vacuum.

I can't believe that ASUS boards are this bad for overclocking...

• 2 years later...
On 2/2/2016 at 4:53 AM, Dash Lambda said:

I tried it a little while ago, and I don't even care anymore about the safety of it, running 1.3v through my CPU makes my computer sound like a bloody vacuum.

I can't believe that ASUS boards are this bad for overclocking...

Sorry to bump this old thread. but I wonder did you manage to get manual mode with voltage drop?

I'm using a z97 pro gamer and 4790K. when on Adaptive mode, it consumes up to 1.29 and temps are high. I managed to get 4400 on all cores under load with only 1.18 and temps are really good. however, I want the voltage to drop when not under load.

Do you happen to have any suggestion on this ?

10 hours ago, Coderx said:

Sorry to bump this old thread. but I wonder did you manage to get manual mode with voltage drop?

I'm using a z97 pro gamer and 4790K. when on Adaptive mode, it consumes up to 1.29 and temps are high. I managed to get 4400 on all cores under load with only 1.18 and temps are really good. however, I want the voltage to drop when not under load.

Do you happen to have any suggestion on this ?

I've been on Ryzen for a little while, so I'm not entirely certain... I can try putting together a system with my old board tomorrow to check what my settings were.