GPU & PSU Upgrade Advice

zberry7
Go to solution Solved by App4that,
7 minutes ago, zberry7 said:

Interesting, the 980ti is a very solid choice, does anyone have recommendation for a 500$ ish GPU? And if it was your money would you spend the whole budget on a GPU?

The 980ti will beat everything, if you can get it don't waste your money and time on a lesser card. Not because of it being an Nvidia card, but because it will offer the best performance for the longest period of time with better resale value.

So basically I'm looking to make a serious upgrade to my system that I built very recently, the Power Supply and Video card were temporary stop gaps until the funds to further upgrade were available. Anyway here's my specs

• Processor: i5 6600k
  • RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport (2x4GB)
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte z170x Gaming 5
  • HDD: Some 1TB Western Digital hard drive from my previous build
  • SSD: Samsung Evo 850 120GB
  • PSU: Corsair CX 430M
  • WiFi: Some card stolen from previous PC
  • Optical: Some DVD drive I had
  • Cooling: Corair H50
  • GPU: Some crappy R7 240 that I overclocked really hard
  • Case: NZXT Phantom

I defiantly want to upgrade the GPU which obviously will require me to upgrade my PSU. I really like corsair as a brand and would prefer a corsair power supply but If I can get similar quality at similar price than that's fine. I also have no preference between AMD and NVidia. 

I also want to upgrade other components (RAM, Storage and Mouse) but I might wait and only do the GPU now. I'll be using a 1080p monitor for the time being but may upgrade to 1440p further down the road.

I have a budget of around 600 or 700 ish USD

I really would like some advice, not sure if I should spend all of this one a GPU and PSU or also spend some on other components, which only complicates the matter of choosing a graphics card performance target so to speak, and between AMD and NVidia similarly performing cards.

Is your preference AMD or nVidia?

Edit: Damn it

Build: i5-4460 | GT 720 | Logitech G710+ Keyboard | Corsair M65 Mouse | Dell e2314h Monitor | Windows 10

Generic Dell: Mobo, 8gb RAM, 430w PSU, 1TB Storage, XPS 8700 Case

9 minutes ago, zberry7 said:

So basically I'm looking to make a serious upgrade to my system that I built very recently, the Power Supply and Video card were temporary stop gaps until the funds to further upgrade were available. Anyway here's my specs

• Processor: i5 6600k
  • RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport (2x4GB)
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte z170x Gaming 5
  • HDD: Some 1TB Western Digital hard drive from my previous build
  • SSD: Samsung Evo 850 120GB
  • PSU: Corsair CX 430M
  • WiFi: Some card stolen from previous PC
  • Optical: Some DVD drive I had
  • Cooling: Corair H50
  • GPU: Some crappy R7 240 that I overclocked really hard
  • Case: NZXT Phantom

I defiantly want to upgrade the GPU which obviously will require me to upgrade my PSU. I really like corsair as a brand and would prefer a corsair power supply but If I can get similar quality at similar price than that's fine. I also have no preference between AMD and NVidia. 

I also want to upgrade other components (RAM, Storage and Mouse) but I might wait and only do the GPU now. I'll be using a 1080p monitor for the time being but may upgrade to 1440p further down the road.

I have a budget of around 600 or 700 ish USD

I really would like some advice, not sure if I should spend all of this one a GPU and PSU or also spend some on other components, which only complicates the matter of choosing a graphics card performance target so to speak, and between AMD and NVidia similarly performing cards.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/n9Fz4D
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/n9Fz4D/by_merchant/

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($623.00 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($83.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $706.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-31 18:53 EST-0500

Just over $700 and you get the best single gpu and a very good psu and I wouldnt worry about upgrading anything else in your system atm other than going to 1440p later like you said yourself.

[CPU-i5 4690k] [MB-Asus Maximus VII Hero] [GPU-Asus Matirx 980ti] [Ram-8GB Corsair Vengeance ram] [ Cooling-Corsair H100i/ 3 Noctua NF-P12 for intake] [sSD/HDD-120GB evo/ 1TB WB Caviar blue] [Case-NZXT H440] [Dell U3415W]

R9 390/970 for GPU. EVGA G1 or something from SuperFlower for PSU.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

2 minutes ago, LeonKennedy6 said:

Is your preference AMD or nVidia?

Good question. I haven't had many nVidia cards since I started getting into PC building and gaming. So at this point AMD but I'm 100% willing to take a nVidia recommendation. please don't argue about which is better cause I don't care about the brands, just the product 

2 minutes ago, zberry7 said:

Good question. I haven't had many nVidia cards since I started getting into PC building and gaming. So at this point AMD but I'm 100% willing to take a nVidia recommendation. please don't argue about which is better cause I don't care about the brands, just the product 

I would recommend R9 Fury or 980ti. Fury is a bit cheaper, 980ti is better. Fury X is not as good as 980ti IIRC.

Build: i5-4460 | GT 720 | Logitech G710+ Keyboard | Corsair M65 Mouse | Dell e2314h Monitor | Windows 10

Generic Dell: Mobo, 8gb RAM, 430w PSU, 1TB Storage, XPS 8700 Case

Interesting, the 980ti is a very solid choice, does anyone have recommendation for a 500$ ish GPU? And if it was your money would you spend the whole budget on a GPU?

7 minutes ago, zberry7 said:

The 980ti will beat everything, if you can get it don't waste your money and time on a lesser card. Not because of it being an Nvidia card, but because it will offer the best performance for the longest period of time with better resale value.

If anyone asks you never saw me.