Noctua D14 noisier than Cooler Master 212 Evo. Issue?

tatalor

I recently bought the aforementioned coolers for 2 computers and, to my surprise, the Noctua is WAY noisier than the other. Especially if the biggest fan is set at 1300 RPM, the noise level is way beyond the case fans (default Antec GX300 fans, Antec Tricool or Twocool I think). It's noisier even with the fan at 650 RPM), but somewhat better.

Cooling wise, it keeps a non overclocked i5 6600k Skylake at 50 Celsius while running Prime95 max heat test for an hour. Room temp is about 22C.

I assume this is good, right?

But I'm really bothered about the noise and from what I read it should not be like this. Is it possible that I got a defective unit? Any other causes? My case is smallish but I listened to it with the side open and clearly it does not touch anythinh or something and the big 140mm fan is really loud.

What do you guys think?

I recently bought the aforementioned coolers for 2 computers and, to my surprise, the Noctua is WAY noisier than the other. Especially if the biggest fan is set at 1300 RPM, the noise level is way beyond the case fans (default Antec GX300 fans, Antec Tricool or Twocool I think). It's noisier even with the fan at 650 RPM), but somewhat better.

Cooling wise, it keeps a non overclocked i5 6600k Skylake at 50 Celsius while running Prime95 max heat test for an hour. Room temp is about 22C.

I assume this is good, right?

But I'm really bothered about the noise and from what I read it should not be like this. Is it possible that I got a defective unit? Any other causes? My case is smallish but I listened to it with the side open and clearly it does not touch anythinh or something and the big 140mm fan is really loud.

What do you guys think?

I have never found noctua fans to be silent at 12volts, you have to undervolt them, 7v is acceptable, and 5v is ideal. 

The reason noctua fans are so well regarded, is because EVEN at 5v, it outperforms other cheap fans at 12v and higher RPMs.

The 140mm fan is pretty noisy at 650 RPM too. About the noise level of case fans at the same RPM. From the bios I can set fans at 1300 and 650 RPM. My MB is a Gygabite Z170X Gaming 3. Can I set the voltage from somewhere?

Check the fan speeds ... it doesn't need to run 100% even at full loads. 

Magical Pineapples

Ok. Looked a bit on BIOS and its weird. The 140mm fan is connected to CPU-OPT on the MB and on Normal and Silent settings runs at 600rpm. On max it goes to 1200. The 120mm fan is connected on CPU FAN an no matter the settings it always runs at 1300rpm.Any way to reduce it? Is it a bug?

Ok. Looked a bit on BIOS and its weird. The 140mm fan is connected to CPU-OPT on the MB and on Normal and Silent settings runs at 600rpm. On max it goes to 1200. The 120mm fan is connected on CPU FAN an no matter the settings it always runs at 1300rpm.Any way to reduce it? Is it a bug?

You might need to use Speedfan. But first, update BIOS. Gigabyte has some issues with getting fan controls done with first BIOS versions.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Ok, I put the Low Noise adaptors in place and use the Y splitter to connect the fans. Although I used the CPU FAN pins on the MB and I cannot change their speed from the BIOS at all, I don't think I need it anymore. The noise is way way down and both fans spin at about 900 RPM.