Connect to Ubuntu SMB Share from different location?

NinjaJc01

I have a Samba share currently running of a VM on my main PC, but I will eventually have it running as a NAS from an old Core 2 Duo machine. I would like to be able to connect to it from a different network, in a different house. Both locations will remain constant, and I want to be able to connect to the share and back up to it. Would something like Hamachi work to join the LANs?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

If im correct i would say you could connect both networks via vpn. Hamatchi is a vpn like service.

Look up how to set up a vpn server and how to connect to it and than chose what suites u best.

I have a Samba share currently running of a VM on my main PC, but I will eventually have it running as a NAS from an old Core 2 Duo machine. I would like to be able to connect to it from a different network, in a different house. Both locations will remain constant, and I want to be able to connect to the share and back up to it. Would something like Hamachi work to join the LANs?

Opening up your NAS and shared resources to the internet is probably a bad idea. Hamachi would work assuming the server is running Windows but would be horrendously slow.

You may want to look into just setting up an SFTP site for remote access that you can just log into.

Almost as cool as my temps  

Opening up your NAS and shared resources to the internet is probably a bad idea. Hamachi would work assuming the server is running Windows but be horrendously slow.

You may want to look into just setting up an SFTP site for remote access that you can just log into.

SFTP? Something File transfer Protocol? How would I do that, and would it work as a NAS. Also, Hamachi will run on linux with a bit of messing,

as seen here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Hamachi

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

SFTP? Something File transfer Protocol? How would I do that, and would it work as a NAS. Also, Hamachi will run on linux with a bit of messing,

as seen here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Hamachi

Secure File Transfer Protocol. Very easy to set up an FTP site in Linux. http://askubuntu.com/questions/420652/how-to-setup-a-restricted-sftp-server-on-ubuntu

Set up the site to be accessible over LAN, then simply set up port triggering/forwarding on your router to access it from WAN - with every connection being encrypted and requiring a username/password.

I'd recommend Filezilla client for your Windows machines to connect to the site on the server.

Almost as cool as my temps  

You can do it through ssh

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You can do it through ssh

Isn't SSH just for remote command line?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

It is.

So, supposedly, using command line, i can transfer files to and from my NAS... Nah, don't think it works like that...

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

No, you can use the tunneling feature

http://www.revsys.com/writings/quicktips/ssh-tunnel.html

To directly connect to the NAS via the internet?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

To directly connect to the NAS via the internet?

I think you can use it for that - I'm not sure as to how, but if it's possible someone on the arch forum will know how

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I think you can use it for that - I'm not sure as to how, but if it's possible someone on the arch forum will know how

Arch for ubuntu?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

Arch for ubuntu?

doesn't matter, ssh is the same on both

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

doesn't matter, ssh is the same on both

The question is, does anyone have experience with file transfers over hamachi?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

The question is, does anyone have experience with file transfers over hamachi?

I don't

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I would say the easiest way would be using a vpn its easy to set up, hamatchi would not be the best for that.

SSH tunneling and sftp are to complicated to set up. I believe SMB even has the option to function as a VPN server.