Smart Audio / Volume Question.

GamerGuy

I was thinking about this for a bit and this is my question,

What if I take 10 phones and play the same song on all 10 with the same volume lets say... 60.

Now will the sound be 10x60= 600 volume or would it all stay at 60? maybe something in between?

(I love these type of questions and have many, not all are about tech though).

I would love to hear what you guys think or maybe even a answer, 

hi

Volume would still be the same. The sound the people is hearing will be louder.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

The law for an increase in sound is for every doubling of power you get a 3dB increase in output volume. Note it takes approximately 10dB to perceive a doubling in volume. 

So;

1 driver = Y Power = original volume

2 drivers = 2Y = original volume + 3dB

4 drivers = 4Y = original volume + 6dB

And so.

Now while I'm at it, coupling low frequency devices; subwoofers can also net you a gain however at some point you'll run into phase issues and therefore you can't make huge sub arrays. Coupling subs or putting them side by side will give you another +3 dB. 

The law for an increase in sound is for every doubling of power you get a 3dB increase in output volume. Note it takes approximately 10dB to perceive a doubling in volume. 

So;

1 driver = Y Power = original volume

2 drivers = 2Y = original volume + 3dB

4 drivers = 4Y = original volume + 6dB

And so.

Now while I'm at it, coupling low frequency devices; subwoofers can also net you a gain however at some point you'll run into phase issues and therefore you can't make huge sub arrays. Coupling subs or putting them side by side will give you another +3 dB. 

And if you put them in a corner then you can add corner loading to the overall low end.....

Short answer yes it will be louder, this is how all rock concerts get so loud. There is not one single amp/speaker combo that can deliver 128dB to an entire venue, so they will use a bank of amps and an array of speakers that when played together get the volume to that level.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

And if you put them in a corner then you can add corner loading to the overall low end.....

Short answer yes it will be louder, this is how all rock concerts get so loud. There is not one single amp/speaker combo that can deliver 128dB to an entire venue, so they will use a bank of amps and an array of speakers that when played together get the volume to that level.

Never been a fan of corner loading, too many issues with power alleys and nulls.  

Never been a fan of corner loading, too many issues with power alleys and nulls.  

tell me about it, I have my theatre sub corner loaded (more for physical conveneance as it's 1500x800x400), There are sections in my room where you wouldn't even know there was a sub.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.