Samsung S27A850D vs ASUS PB278Q vs Dell U2711

Optimus Prime

Well it's a little self explanatory but I'll explain why I'm asking.

Ok so I'm building my first PC EVER as soon as the Corsair 900D and the GTX Titan is available readily in Australia. Since this is a complete build, meaning everything from the tower itself to the peripherals like the monitor. So I've made up my mind I want a 2560 monitor but I am having a hard time choosing between them. Any thoughts would be appreciated as I am leaning more towards the ASUS monitor at this time

Thanks

asus is best choice. All out most beautiful monitor for non content creation. It's Linus' favourite monitor ever, if that's any incentive. They're all pretty similar though.

He who dies with the most tools wins.

What about input lag and other tid bits like build quality and bezel (gloss vs matte)

I think the Asus and the Samsung are very similar, they're both PLS monitors. They may even use the same panel. I think the Samsung is being phased out though (my local store had a clearance sale of these monitors), and being replaced with the Samsung S27B970D, another PLS monitor.

Anything interesting about the new Samsung, I have a 4 - 6 week window while the titan and the 900D release

Go with the ASUS one, between the two, but the Dell U2711 will get you the best colors, and better build quality, let alone about all the inputs you want, and comes with 2 pre-color calibrated Adobe RGB and sRGB color profile ready to be selected by you once you plug the monitor in.

It must be noted however that the U2711 is an older monitor (being replaced with the U2713M), so it's cheaper now. It's HDMI port only support 1080p resolution as it uses HDMI 1.2 (but the monitor support 1:1 pixel mapping so you can have it not scale), its contrast ratio while good, isn't as good as the others because the back light, (High grade CFL outputting a fantastic true white light), requires to be directly behind the panel, and not at the bottom like white LED's (which output a cold white color). So, a trade off.

Dell monitors have 3 year warranty, 0 bright pixel warranty (you see 1 white or stuck pixel.. it's a replacement), and a 6 or more dead pixel warranty (this is competitive especially at this resolution, and there are no Zones, or distance policy.. you count 6 or more -> replacement).

If you RMA your monitor for anything, you get to keep the monitor white you wait for the replacement one, where all you have to do is swamp the monitors. and in the box that you just received, you'll find a pre-paid shipping label (yes, Dells pays shipping both directions), you just simply stick it over the old one, and call the mail carrier to come and pick it up. So that's a nice up side.

All Dell UltraSharp monitors uses LG IPS panels, if you wonder.

It must be noted that PLS monitors are equivalent to eIPS panels (its Samsung version of it). They are, like eIPS panels, 6-bit panels, and not true 8-bit panels. If you want great colors, get a true 8-bit panel (costs more), which is what you get with the U2711, U2711HM, and U2713M. The U2713M replaces the U2711, hence why the U2711 has drop in price, and the U2713M cost the same as the U2711 initially.

Go with the ASUS one' date=' between the two, but the Dell U2711 will get you the best colors, and better build quality, let alone about all the inputs you want, and comes with 2 pre-color calibrated Adobe RGB and sRGB color profile ready to be selected by you once you plug the monitor in. It must be noted however that the U2711 is an older monitor (being replaced with the U2713M), so it's cheaper now. It's HDMI port only support 1080p resolution as it uses HDMI 1.2 (but the monitor support 1:1 pixel mapping so you can have it not scale), its contrast ratio while good, isn't as good as the others because the back light, (High grade CFL outputting a fantastic true white light), requires to be directly behind the panel, and not at the bottom like white LED's (which output a cold white color). So, a trade off. Dell monitors have 3 year warranty, 0 bright pixel warranty (you see 1 white or stuck pixel.. it's a replacement), and a 6 or more dead pixel warranty (this is competitive especially at this resolution, and there are no Zones, or distance policy.. you count 6 or more -> replacement). If you RMA your monitor for anything, you get to keep the monitor white you wait for the replacement one, where all you have to do is swamp the monitors. and in the box that you just received, you'll find a pre-paid shipping label (yes, Dells pays shipping both directions), you just simply stick it over the old one, and call the mail carrier to come and pick it up. So that's a nice up side. All Dell UltraSharp monitors uses LG IPS panels, if you wonder. It must be noted that PLS monitors are equivalent to eIPS panels (its Samsung version of it). They are, like eIPS panels, 6-bit panels, and not true 8-bit panels. If you want great colors, get a true 8-bit panel (costs more), which is what you get with the U2711, U2711HM, and U2713M. The U2713M replaces the U2711, hence why the U2711 has drop in price, and the U2713M cost the same as the U2711 initially.[/quote']

So out of the 3 I selected go with the ASUS but if the U2713 is available go with that?, great post man.

Thanks! Glad I could help.

I would say yes.

Oh something that I forgot to mention, I do know that they are people that want a large screen, but don't have the appropriate setup for it. Where the monitor is too close to them and raises issues. It's quiet simple, the distance of you, sitting normally, and the monitor should be about 1 arm length (~20-24inch). I am saying this, because I read some people complaining about issues that don't exists like: the monitor is too hot I feel it on my face, all the way to up to I can see the anti-glare coating. And it ends up, that their keyboard barely fits on the table with the monitor. And in the case of the "seeing the anti-glare coating", the monitor brightness was set to max (which is SUPER BRIGHT with these high end monitor) and is in a dark environment, and of course, too close to teh screen (again, keyboard barely fits on table with the monitor).

So yea, just wanted to give you a heads up on that. If you have these issues, the monitor is too close. :D

all good points, I'll just see how I go. I have 15 inch laptop screen (wat im upgrading from) and i'm less than a full arms length away and it feels to small most of the time and I have a 32inch tv about 2 metres from me and that's definately 2 small so I think a 27 would be perfect at around arms length

I have noticed that I said U2713M on my previous post. I meant U2713H, sorry for the confusion of my part. The U2713M does not exists.

• 2 years later...

I would say the asus one the best one.

why would you reply to this thread from 2 years ago with a comment that doesn't add anything? lol