Would you dare to try or use Win 10 Enterprise LTSB?

P1X3

Not gonna lie, only recently I have found out about Enterprise LTSB version of Windows 10. It is not targeted to general use from what I understand since it does not get any features or feature updates, but it will receive all the security updates and such. I installed it on a virtual machine and right now quite tempted to install it on my system. Without getting into whole "Would you upgrade to windows 10" debate, would anyone else dare to try or use Win10 Enterprise LTSB on daily machine? Before someone else points it out, getting it legally is rather troublesome and then even if you do have iso there is no way to activate it with regular windows 10 key.  However, you can trial it for 90 days for free.

I think I will be backing up my system and giving it a go for couple weeks. Not going to miss a single feature that is offered on the desktop, but at the same time will enjoy the performance that comes with windows 10. Hell even tracking and such is turned off out of the box.

Edit: All that needs to be removed after install is OneDrive 

Edit 2: Also, did I mention no Edge?

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting or asking about obtaining Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB illegally. Those with MSDN subscription can get it there, and everyone else can try 90 day trial from microsoft themselves https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise

If you are not getting is legally, then the forum provide 0 support. Sorry, but enougth with problems with OSs that ends up being related to cracks, or activator, modified system files, undetectable malware injection, etc, and waste everyone time.

If you are not getting is legally, then the forum provide 0 support. Sorry, but enougth with problems with OSs that ends up being related to cracks, or activator, modified system files, undetectable malware injection, etc, and waste everyone time.

Don't know where you are getting these comments from? 

LTSB = Long term servicing branch.

It is a legitimate version of windows.

It is also enterprise only.

You get it from the MS volume licensing page (you also need to have a volume license).

It is there for mission critical systems only, to minimize downtime due to updates/upgrades (i.e. you don't want a mission critical system/server down for 1+hours for it to upgrade to build 1151).

Sorry, I didn't even want to touch on cracking or activating. Everyone has their means, legal or not. What I wanted to discuss is using the cut-down version of the Windows 10 without the features. Would anyone holding back on Windows 10 switch if this was available not for enterprise only, but say for enthusiasts too. 

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (Long Term Servicing Branch) is similar to Windows 10 Enterprise but will not receive any feature updates, gives companies more control over the update process and is the most stripped down edition of Windows 10 available. It lacks the following applications and features:[citation needed]

-Store including most modern apps like Xbox, Contacts, etc.

-There are only four remaining modern apps: Contact Support, Search, Settings, and Windows Feedback

-It is also not possible to reinstall the Store

-Cortana

-Edge

The following applications are replaced with their old counterpart:[citation needed]

-Modern Calculator is replaced with the original calc.exe

I would be tempted by it just for the calculator. God I hate that "modern calculator". Whenever I open it with my keyboard's macro key for it, I can't start typing on it immediately, I have to click on it once... then click away and click on it again for it to even work, it's terrible. Never had that issue with the original calc.exe.

But other than that... Meh. I don't need those extra features from the enterprise version. If I had a business though, I would probably use that version and not the regular Enterprise version. For the extra control over the update process.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Sorry, I didn't even want to touch on cracking or activating. Everyone has their means, legal or not. What I wanted to discuss is using the cut-down version of the Windows 10 without the features. Would anyone holding back on Windows 10 switch if this was available not for enterprise only, but say for enthusiasts too.

All I am saying is that if you are found to have issues, and have been discovered that you have acquired whatever software that causes you problem, including the OS, illegally, don't expect support from everyone. It was just a heads up.

You said "getting it legally is almost impossible" suggesting that you plan on getting it illegally.

If you have no means to get a paying software, stick with what you have, or switch to free alternatives.

Don't know where you are getting these comments from? 

LTSB = Long term servicing branch.

It is a legitimate version of windows.

It is also enterprise only.

You get it from the MS volume licensing page (you also need to have a volume license).

It is there for mission critical systems only, to minimize downtime due to updates/upgrades (i.e. you don't want a mission critical system/server down for 1+hours for it to upgrade to build 1151).

He suggested that he will acquire it illegally. It was a heads up. If you want to help him, if he has issues, despite knowing that he has acquired illegally whatever software that is causing his issues, then be my guess, by many people got burned wasting their time, with no solutions in helping, so don't expect everyone to come in and help.

All I am saying is that if you are found to have issues, and have been discovered that you have acquired whatever software that causes you problem, including the OS, illegally, don't expect support from everyone. It was just a heads up.

You said "getting it legally is almost impossible" suggesting that you plan on getting it illegally.

If you have no means to get a paying software, stick with what you have, or switch to free alternatives.

Again, sorry for making it seem like I was asking about getting it illegally. For those that are interested in trying it, get a trial from microsoft for 90 days from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise

Small update since I have started using Win10 Enterprise LTSB. Right off the bat there were couple updates, including driver installs. Removed OneDrive and re-enabled default photo viewer. Work just like the edition with all the features, but fresh install takes only around 10GB of space and has ~35 processes running. On standard edition the numbers are quite higher if I am not mistaken. The start menu is nice and clean, no more apps that you never opened in the first place.

I would suggest that those holding back on Windows 10 give this edition a try just for the hell of it. See if it feels like good old windows 7.

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting or asking about obtaining Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB illegally. Those with MSDN subscription can get it there, and everyone else can try 90 day trial from microsoft themselves https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise

What is the actual point of this topic though. Why discuss a product you realistically can not or would not buy? Trialing software is great and all but if there is no possibility in using it then the effort is not worth it. It's not like it is fundamentally different from any other version of Windows 10 so the educational value of it is very slim (if any) compared to say Windows Server.

No one here is going to personally pay $1200 USD a year to use this. MSDN is for developers paid for by the employer or is a business expense if you are an independent contractor. I'm very sure $1200 can be put to much better use than for this purpose.

If I had a business though, I would probably use that version and not the regular Enterprise version. For the extra control over the update process.

Businesses use Windows Server Update Services to control updates to servers and desktops and gives you all the control you need. This Windows 10 edition doesn't give you any extra control over Windows Updates, product feature removal shouldn't really be called extra control.

I'm also struggling to think of a use case for this when Windows 10 IoT Core (Windows Embedded) exists. 

I've seen people selling keys for this edition on the microsoftsoftwareswap reddit page, its quite cheap for what it is so there's a reason to consider it.

Wraith/Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | DeepCool AK620 | ASRock X570 Steel Legend | Micron Workstation ECC 64GB | XFX Speedster SWFT 319 Radeon RX 6800 XT 16GB | Topping D50s+A50s+PA3s | Seagate FireCuda 520 NVMe 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 2TB, HPE SSD 1.92TB, Toshiba X300 4TB, Seagate SkyHawk 4TB, WD Blue 4TB, HPE HDD 8TB | LG GGW-H20L Bluray-RW, Pioneer DVR-220LBK DVD-RW | HP NC550SFP 10GbE | Super Flower Leadex II Gold 750W | CoolerMaster MasterCase MC500P - Ghost/Test Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B | Asus ROG Strix X370-F | Crucial Ballistix Red 16GB | ASRock Intel ARC A770 Phantom Gaming D 8GB | Asus Xonar D2X | Crucial MX500 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 500GB | SAMA Forza 750W Gold | Antec GX200

Phantom/Win98 Rig: AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ | Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 3 | ASRock K7S41GX | Elixir 512MB | ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB with ATI Silencer 3 Rev.2 | Aureal BA88DL30A-01 Vortex 2 | Seagate Barracuda 160GB | LiteOn IHDP118-18 DVD-Rom | Samsung FDD | Ccivo 300W | CiT S008B - Parvati IV/Home Unraid Rig: Dual AMD Opteron 4184 | 2x Noctua NH-U12DO A3 | Supermicro Aplus H8DCL-i | Samsung ECC 32GB | Matrox G200eW 16MB | Kioxia Exceria G2 1TB, HPE Seagate Exos 4TB, 2x Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB, 2x Toshiba E300 2TB, Seagate SkyHawk 2TB, 2x Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB, Seagate Essentials 1TB, WD Green 500GB | Dell Perc H200+H310 HBA, HP NC550SFP 10GbE | Cooler Master MWE v2 850W | Corsair Obsidian 750d Full Tower - Behemoth12/Second Unraid Rig: HP Microserver G8 | Xeon E3-1220L V2 | Intel C204 | Hynix ECC 16GB | Matrox G200eH 16MB | WD Green 500GB NVMe |