How to move my PC

GluxDope

Hi guys, I'm moving some time after the summer and I was planning on building a pc sometime around May. I was wondering how I would package the PC and move it, I want to be cautious about the materials I pack with so nothing get's zapped and It's all going to be in a define R5 with the glass side so I don't feel like pulling a Linus and shipping it on the floor of the U-HAUL truck. So if I can get any tips on how to move it, that would be great! 

P.S. It's a 1400 mile move 

I'd say just put it on the floor of the vehicle, remove the GPU if it's going to be sitting straight up, or if it's on a seat or something laying on the side with the motherboard facing up, you should be fine as is.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I'd say just put it on the floor of the vehicle, remove the GPU if it's going to be sitting straight up, or if it's on a seat or something laying on the side with the motherboard facing up, you should be fine as is.

But what about all of the vibrations and shock of the whole trip, that wouldn't affect the glass or any of the parts? When they had done the whole big moving vlog, the acrylic in the bottom of Linus' mineral oil rig cracked.

Put the system back in the case box, just like it came packaged. Take the GPU and any HDDs out of the case before you do so, and keep those someplace else (like their own boxes).

But what about all of the vibrations and shock of the whole trip, that wouldn't affect the glass or any of the parts? When they had done the whole big moving vlog, the acrylic in the bottom of Linus' mineral oil rig cracked.

The case can make it across the country while being thrown by a UPS guy. It's fine.

And Linus' mineral oil rig weighs 100+ pounds and is made entirely out of jointed acrylic. Your side panel is a single piece of acrylic that doesn't bear any weight.

If it were me, I'd disassemble it and package the parts in their original packaging. That's probably a bit much for most people, but I've heard too many stories of PC's getting damaged while transporting. The only component I'd leave attached is the CPU since it's safer left in the socket

If you want to be really safe just take everything apart and put it back into the original boxes or put some parts in a bigger box and use like padding or something(ex: Define R5 covered in padding to protect the window.)

You'll be ok if you keep the boxes your components come in.  Keep the case box, and the foam packaging inside it, keep the box for your video card with the anti static bag, etc..

Remove video card and hard drives, put them back in the packaging they came to you in.

If you have a big heavy air cooler on your cpu, remove that and put that back in its packaging.

CPU, power supply, and motherboard can stay installed.

Pack your case into the box as it was shipped to you. 

Now entire system is safe to move, whether its the floor of your car, the trunk, or the back of a u-haul.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

Hi guys, I'm moving some time after the summer and I was planning on building a pc sometime around May. I was wondering how I would package the PC and move it, I want to be cautious about the materials I pack with so nothing get's zapped and It's all going to be in a define R5 with the glass side so I don't feel like pulling a Linus and shipping it on the floor of the U-HAUL truck. So if I can get any tips on how to move it, that would be great! 

P.S. It's a 1400 mile move 

Keep your case box, put all your part boxes in said case box for warranty purposes post move if anything fails. Put pc case in case box but lie it down on its side so the heat sink on the cpu and your GPU don't have gravity and leverage working together on ruining your stuff.

This is how I move my PC, last time I didn't bother draining the loop, I couldn't be bothered.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd