Is my router on it's last legs or is it just temporarily crapping itself?

Headshot_

Hello! I was not sure if this went under the networking or troubleshooting subforum. Please move this topic to the appropriate subforum if necessary. 

Anyways, I have a 4 mb/s line (Don't ask). I usually get 3.2 to 3.5 mb/s but over the past few days the internet begins to slow down over time. My router is a D-Link 2750U Firmware IN_1.08. When I reset the router it slows down eventually and soon 360p videos don't buffer sometimes until I reset it. 

Is my router beginning to fail? If it is I'm not surprised, it's pretty old now. It seemed to work fine but now it just slows down overtime until a reset. 

My line speed's fine at 4095 kb/s so that isn't a problem. My mom said it could have to do with the cabling (Our telephone cables route through the walls. Pain in the ass to replace/fix) but if a router reset fixes it I don't think it's the cables

Thanks! 

HP Pavilion p007tx (i5 4210u, gt840m, 8GB DDR3 memory and a 1 TB HDD that makes cool sounds when booting up) 

Since my laptop can't run modern games too well I use a PS4

Hello! I was not sure if this went under the networking or troubleshooting subforum. Please move this topic to the appropriate subforum if necessary. 

Anyways, I have a 4 mb/s line (Don't ask). I usually get 3.2 to 3.5 mb/s but over the past few days the internet begins to slow down over time. My router is a D-Link 2750U Firmware IN_1.08. When I reset the router it slows down eventually and soon 360p videos don't buffer sometimes until I reset it. 

Is my router beginning to fail? If it is I'm not surprised, it's pretty old now. It seemed to work fine but now it just slows down overtime until a reset. 

My line speed's fine at 4095 kb/s so that isn't a problem. My mom said it could have to do with the cabling (Our telephone cables route through the walls. Pain in the ass to replace/fix) but if a router reset fixes it I don't think it's the cables

Thanks! 

Okay. I'm sure you mean 4mbps not 4mb/s. That is on the low side. How many people are using the internet other than yourself? Because if that's the case, you might need to upgrade your internet package to something better.

Also check if you your ISP can provide you with higher speeds, or check if any ISPs have between prices than your current one.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Okay. I'm sure you mean 4mbps not 4mb/s. That is on the low side. How many people are using the internet other than yourself? Because if that's the case, you might need to upgrade your internet package to something better.

Also check if you your ISP can provide you with higher speeds, or check if any ISPs have between prices than your current one.

Yeah I meant megabit second not megabit per second. I guess I can try convince my mom to upgrade the internet. It's 2016. (Fun Fact: I had a 1mbps line until Apr. 2015) 

HP Pavilion p007tx (i5 4210u, gt840m, 8GB DDR3 memory and a 1 TB HDD that makes cool sounds when booting up) 

Since my laptop can't run modern games too well I use a PS4

Yeah I meant megabit second not megabit per second. I guess I can try convince my mom to upgrade the internet. It's 2016. (Fun Fact: I had a 1mbps line until Apr. 2015) 

I was stuck with 1mbps as well. Now i've got 10mbps up and 10mbps.

Yeah. Well I hope you find your problem. Also, check with your current ISP, ask them if they have a higher speed packages. :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

mbps and mb/s are the same...

The p in mbps is for per, as is the / in mb/s.

Sorry for the pedantry, but you kinda ripped on the dude for it, lol.

mbps and mb/s are the same...

The p in mbps is for per, as is the / in mb/s.

Sorry for the pedantry, but you kinda ripped on the dude for it, lol.

There is a difference. My download is 74Mbps. I would divide it by 8. Because there is one byte contains eight bits. So if I want download something. My download speed will 9.25Mb/s.

As for OP he as 4mbps. If he were to see what download speed he will get it would be 500kbps or 0.5mbps. 

There is a difference. My download is 74Mbps. I would divide it by 8. Because there is one byte contains eight bits. So if I want download something. My download speed will 9.25Mb/s.

As for OP he as 4mbps. If he were to see what download speed he will get it would be 500kbps or 0.5mbps. 

That's incorrect.

Whether it's a capital "B" or lower case "b" dictates whether you're referring to bits or bytes.

Mbps and Mb/s are identical.

MB/s and Mb/s are different as you described. The first referring to bytes, the second to bits.

In your example, if your download is 74Mbps, then in bytes that's 9.25MBps or MB/s.