Liquid Cooled worth it?

WaitDontSh00t

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of doing a new build soon. I'm a bit torn on what to do, and was wondering if you could give me some input. 

I am contemplating getting a 980 Ti Hybrid, or waiting for Pascal. Now before you say..."We don't even know specs on it", I know. Though I am mainly just saying if I waited for the Pascal series, obviously I'm assuming it won't be liquid cooled right off the bat. Is there a pattern, to when the liquid cooled versions usually release after the main release?

Or are liquid cooled not worth getting at all and why? If money isn't a huge issue and it doesn't cost a ridiculous amount, is it worth getting a liquid cooled over an air cooled? Of course, I'd love lower temps, and I may SLI in the future. Torn on what to do.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

If you get hardware that is at least somewhat good with recent games you will want watercooling but if you have for example an i3 processor then it will not be necessary, most of the time it is worth it. 

What is your current GPU?

I currently have the 980 Ti Hybrid from EVGA and I can say from an auditory and temperature stand point, it is worth it but if you have something like a 970 right now, I would honestly just wait to see what pascal will bring.

CPU: i7-8700K I CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: ROG Strix 1080 Ti MoBo: ROG Strix Z370-E RAM:  G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)   PSU: CORSAIR HXi Series HX1000i Case: Corsair Air 540 Display: 24" 1920X1080p 144Hz ASUS - 27" 2560X1440p 144Hz Dell OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

AIO / hybrid "water cooling" only do 1/3 of the job that's needed.  The VRM and memory are still air cooled.  Keeping the core cool is only part of it.  Without also keeping the VRM as cool as possible, the gains you'll get from that brand of "water cooling" won't be substantial enough to warrant the extra cost.  Less noise?  Maybe.  Lower temps on the core?  Sure...but the rest of the card is still suffering with air cooling.

I would say, no....an AIO / hybrid cooler for a GPU isn't worth messing with.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

What is your current GPU?

I currently have the 980 Ti Hybrid from EVGA and I can say from an auditory and temperature stand point, it is worth it but if you have something like a 970 right now, I would honestly just wait to see what pascal will bring.

Right now I have a 670 FTW. Card usually reaches 67C max in some games. Usually around 63-64C. So of course going to a wayyy better card is great, but lower temps would seem great too. CPU is a i5-3570k, probably will upgrade to 6700k.

Just don't know if it's worth getting an air cooled (I.e. waiting for a pascal when it releases), or just getting a 980 ti hybrid now for example.

AIO / hybrid "water cooling" only do 1/3 of the job that's needed.  The VRM and memory are still air cooled.  Keeping the core cool is only part of it.  Without also keeping the VRM as cool as possible, the gains you'll get from that brand of "water cooling" won't be substantial enough to warrant the extra cost.  Less noise?  Maybe.  Lower temps on the core?  Sure...but the rest of the card is still suffering with air cooling.

I would say, no....an AIO / hybrid cooler for a GPU isn't worth messing with.

So you have no experience with a Hybrid yet bad mouth it, classy.

I have the EVGA Hybrid and because it's only cooling the core it stay at ambient temperature at idle and only goes up to 50c even overclocking. Where my Hybrid hits 1500mhz on the core and 8000mhz on the memory.

The fan still cools the memory and VRM which never get hot.

That's why it's called a Hybrid :rolleyes:

If anyone asks you never saw me.

So you have no experience with a Hybrid yet bad mouth it, classy.

I have the EVGA Hybrid and because it's only cooling the core it stay at ambient temperature at idle and only goes up to 50c even overclocking. Where my Hybrid hits 1500mhz on the core and 8000mhz on the memory.

The fan still cools the memory and VRM which never get hot.

That's why it's called a Hybrid :rolleyes:

I have no experience with an AIO / Hybrid on a GPU because they're worthless.  If I'm going to water cool a GPU, it'll be to cool ALL the parts that matter, and just not part of them.  If your VRM and memory aren't getting hot enough to hurt performance, you aren't overclocking them enough for it to matter....or you don't think it's effecting it, because of your "uber" overclocks.  O.o

GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

Either way, I won't be doing custom cooling, because I have no experience with it, and it'll cost me a lot more than just a hybrid card w/CLC CPU cooling also.

I have no experience with an AIO / Hybrid on a GPU because they're worthless.  If I'm going to water cool a GPU, it'll be to cool ALL the parts that matter, and just not part of them.  If your VRM and memory aren't getting hot enough to hurt performance, you aren't overclocking them enough for it to matter....or you don't think it's effecting it, because of your "uber" overclocks.  O.o

The Hybrid is not a card meant for severe overclocks, which the Kingpin only went to 1520 and Lightning to 1525 for Jay. Yes, I'm missing out on 25mhz, I will try and find comfort. :lol:

The fan in the Hybrid ONLY has to cool those parts and the graphics card itself is not subjected to the GPU temperatures, So those parts run cooler. Not to mention my case temps PLUMMETED which meant my RAM and CPU radiator are cooler, both temps went down with the addition of the Hybrid over the air cooled unit it replaced.

So

The Hybrid is not a card meant for severe overclocks, which the Kingpin only went to 1520 and Lightning to 1525 for Jay. Yes, I'm missing out on 25mhz, I will try and find comfort. :lol:

The fan in the Hybrid ONLY has to cool those parts and the graphics card itself is not subjected to the GPU temperatures, So those parts run cooler. Not to mention my case temps PLUMMETED which meant my RAM and CPU radiator are cooler, both temps went down with the addition of the Hybrid over the air cooled unit it replaced.

So

The air in the case cooled down because the hybrid cooler directs it out the back, instead of venting it inside.  

They may only go that far on a stock bios, but....they'll go much higher than that with good cooling and a custom bios with more volts.  lol, Jay....Jay's a tool.  

I should have specified in my original post:  ...if you're wanting to overclock, and push your hardware, they're not worth it.  The memory on the Maxwells needs to stay VERY COOL in order to run well.  2100+ is pretty common with a full coverage block.

The air in the case cooled down because the hybrid cooler directs it out the back, instead of venting it inside.  

They may only go that far on a stock bios, but....they'll go much higher than that with good cooling and a custom bios with more volts.  lol, Jay....Jay's a tool.  

I should have specified in my original post:  ...if you're wanting to overclock, and push your hardware, they're not worth it.  The memory on the Maxwells needs to stay VERY COOL in order to run well.  2100+ is pretty common with a full coverage block.

Problem is you came in guns blazing and insulted a graphics cards unworthy of such treatment. Getting a Hybrid means never having to worry about temperatures. You might not value that, but to some of us that's golden.

Problem is you came in guns blazing and insulted a graphics cards unworthy of such treatment. Getting a Hybrid means never having to worry about temperatures. You might not value that, but to some of us that's golden.

It keeps the core cool enough you'll never have to worry about the core temps....the VRM and memory, with the blower style cooler though, is another story.

He asked for opinions...I gave mine.  AIO's on GPUs are a huge fail.

It keeps the core cool enough you'll never have to worry about the core temps....the VRM and memory, with the blower style cooler though, is another story.

He asked for opinions...I gave mine.  AIO's on GPUs are a huge fail.

*thud*

The VRMs and memory are fine though! Show me a Hybrid suffering from high VRM and/or memory temps. Seriously...

The memory and VRM don't have to suffer from HIGH temps in order to effect performance.  The cooler they run, the better they'll run.  This is pretty simple to understand.....

The memory and VRM don't have to suffer from HIGH temps in order to effect performance.  The cooler they run, the better they'll run.  This is pretty simple to understand.....

You're not getting it. Here let me show you how this works. It's called evidence, try bringing some next time.

"a liquid-cooled version of the GTX 980 Ti. The Hybrid's deployment of traditional air cooling over the VRM and liquid on the GPU should afford higher overclocks within the thermal bounds of the GPU."

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/1983-evga-gtx-980-ti-hybrid-review-and-benchmarks

"EVGA has also added a much broader secondary heatsink that makes contact with more PCB-bound components than what’s offered on the Sea Hawk. However, the secondary cooling design works identically with an intake fan, a large aluminum fin array covering critical VRM components and an extensive plate over the GDDR5 modules. For those wondering, the PCB’s layout doesn’t depart one iota from NVIDIA’s reference design."

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/70502-evga-gtx-980-ti-hybrid-review.html

First two hits on google

if we use that logic we should strap water blocks to car brakes because its completely worthless liquid cooling the engine if the brakes arent on the loop too.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

if we use that logic we should strap water blocks to car brakes because its completely worthless liquid cooling the engine if the brakes arent on the loop too.

Worse you actually get LOWER temps by only cooling the GPU and not using the same fluid to try and cool everything. It's literally why they do it :lol:. Jay has shown multiple times that the hybrid run cooler than a graphics card on a custom loop. The advantage to the loop is if you run SLI you only have the one radiator. 

That's quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard.....

You're not getting it. Here let me show you how this works. It's called evidence, try bringing some next time.

"a liquid-cooled version of the GTX 980 Ti. The Hybrid's deployment of traditional air cooling over the VRM and liquid on the GPU should afford higher overclocks within the thermal bounds of the GPU."

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/1983-evga-gtx-980-ti-hybrid-review-and-benchmarks

"EVGA has also added a much broader secondary heatsink that makes contact with more PCB-bound components than what’s offered on the Sea Hawk. However, the secondary cooling design works identically with an intake fan, a large aluminum fin array covering critical VRM components and an extensive plate over the GDDR5 modules. For those wondering, the PCB’s layout doesn’t depart one iota from NVIDIA’s reference design."

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/70502-evga-gtx-980-ti-hybrid-review.html

First two hits on google

I gave my opinion, man.  AIOs are worthless for GPUs.  If you can't keep the memory cool, the performance will suffer.  I submit to you, your 8000 effective memory clock as all the proof I need.

/wink

Ta   :rolleyes:

I gave my opinion, man.  AIOs are worthless for GPUs.  If you can't keep the memory cool, the performance will suffer.  I submit to you, your 8000 effective memory clock as all the proof I need.

/wink

Ta   :rolleyes:

Juvenile and disappointing. You're arguing that the moon is made of cheese and when shown proof it's not falling back on it being your opinion.

And do you understand 980ti memory speeds?

Juvenile and disappointing. You're arguing that the moon is made of cheese and when shown proof it's not falling back on it being your opinion.

And do you understand 980ti memory speeds?

lol, yeah...I've done quite a few bios mods for guys to help them get their 980tis running where they should.  On air, 2000 base is about the limit.  On water, 2100 is reachable, and even higher in some cases, depending on how cool the coolant stays, and the ambient temps in the rooms their in.  If you can keep the coolant at less than 20c, then 2100 is pretty doable.

Thus...the cooler it is, the better it runs....  /boggle

and thats what everyone else thinks about what you said.

Its one thing to have a belief but when countless people prove you wrong and lay out the evidence but when you just refuse to accept this new information, your opinions lose all of my respect.

the GPU core puts out far more heat than the other parts of a graphics card, its not like these components are neglected in terms of cooling.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

lol, yeah...I've done quite a few bios mods for guys to help them get their 980tis running where they should.  On air, 2000 base is about the limit.  On water, 2100 is reachable, and even higher in some cases, depending on how cool the coolant stays, and the ambient temps in the rooms their in.  If you can keep the coolant at less than 20c, then 2100 is pretty doable.

Thus...the cooler it is, the better it runs....  /boggle

And when did I ever say I can't go over 8000 on the memory? I said that's where I clocked it too. To be honest I have no idea where it will go, it's Samsung memory so it should go further.

Or are you going to say Samsung memory is crap too?

and thats what everyone else thinks about what you said.

Its one thing to have a belief but when countless people prove you wrong and lay out the evidence but when you just refuse to accept this new information, your opinions lose all of my respect.

the GPU core puts out far more heat than the other parts of a graphics card, its not like these components are neglected in terms of cooling.

Have you check the VRM temps on your 390X lately?  lol

And when did I ever say I can't go over 8000 on the memory? I said that's where I clocked it too. To be honest I have no idea where it will go, it's Samsung memory so it should go further.

Or are you going to say Samsung memory is crap too?

Samsung memory clocks the best.  On air, I'd wager you could hit 2050ish...maybe higher.  With water though, I've seen them hit 2150 and higher.  Hell, I've seen Elpida memory hit 2170....but with a REALLY low coolant temp, at around 16c.  Chilled loop.  That on a 980ti FTW.

And shall we ask why?  Because what?  The cooler it runs, the better it runs.  lol  My goodness