Access NAS from foreign network.

Paperchase

I'm not sure if this should be in networking or here in this sub forum. If not, moderators can re-locate the thread to the networking sub forum.

I'm seriously considering getting a NAS for personal use, work, and general backup of data.

As for the NAS i'm not sure which one I want to go for, whether that be a home built NAS or a factory built NAS. But i'll figure that out for myself in due time.

Anyways. I want to be able to reach the files stored on my NAS from a network outside of my network at home. i.e while travelling or staying at a hotel, restaurant etc.

Does anyone know of any decent software I could use to access my data from a different network then my own at home? If you have any experience with the software then please tell me about that as well. The software has to be compatible with Linux and Windows.

Replies are much appreciated.

An opinion far away from your own can only be seen as madness.

The two obvious options would be to use SSH or VPN software. If you want to connect to a linux home server, SSH is the way to go. It's possible to set up on windows as well. It's fairly easy to set up and is secure. It's probably the best way to set up SFTP. With both windows and linux clients you can run SSHFS to mount and view a drive like you would a network drive. On a windows client you could also use winscp to view files. If you go this route be sure to secure it properly like you would anything that is open to the net: don't allow admin logins, don't run on the default port and use key authentication instead of password authentiction.