A few highlights from an IT Meeting...

Hi guys, 

So I just got out of a 2.5 hour IT meeting (longest we have ever had) and I thought I would post the highlights, there are a few. Quite a bit funny imo.

Note: Our IT is structured as such,

1. IT Manager
    (AKA The Captain, due to being in the military and owning a captain cap similar to what is in the show Gilligan's Island)
  2. Head Code Monkey
    (AKA Chancey, pronounced the same as the Pokemon but with Chon rather than Chan. A combination of his first and last name)
  3. Operations Supervisor
    (AKA Aloysius, his "royal" name, given because his last name is King, so he is the IT King. Aloysius is pronounced Al-oo-ish-us) 
  4. Assistant Operations Supervisor 
    (No nickname, sadly)
  5. Code Monkeys
    (affectionately called such, one is Karl and the other Binks, a nickname given to him based on his last name and his back and forth with Aloysius.)
  6. Art guy
    (No real nickname, but he is extremely color blind)
  7. Operation "people" (No real nickname beyond being shortened to "Ops")
  8. Intern (Me)

I swear we should have a sitcom. But whatever, onto the highlights:

Aloysius:

The Captain's Macros are ... involved.

The Captain:

Yeah, you guys know I will push Access' limits any time I get the chance. My Macros have flux capacitors.

The Captain:

As you all know, we got caught in the pants when the P drive crashed, and if it was not still going on life support, we would be screwed.

Chancey:

Yeah, we dodged a bullet.

The Captain:

Well, we didn't even dodge a bullet. We dodged a nuke. And there is still some residual radiation. If you listen closely, you can hear the drive wheeze every once in a while.

The Captain:

Remember guys, we are customer service. Our customers are the other employees. I am not saying our CS has been bad, because it hasn't. I am just saying, when someone says to me, "I wish I was smart enough to work in IT." my response should not be "I wish you were too."

I get away with a lot of that but I shouldn't. I don't bill myself as a nice guy, so I don't see why people think I am. 

Hope you guys enjoyed them. We have quite the crew. 2 females even. We are above the IT gender-ratio average by a whole 10%. 

Hopefully I will have more.

P.S.

A bonus, a favorite of the Captains:

"I always ask the people at the local Mexican restaurant if their Niño meals use real niño. They never know what to say."

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

what is the idea behind this thread?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

what is the idea behind this thread?

To share the humorous antics of people who directly deal with technology as part of their job. If only for the humor.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Well I had a laugh.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Well I had a laugh.

I am glad someone did. That was more so the point of this thread. To share the humor that I saw in it. I loled. Quite a bit.  :)

† Christian Member †

Oh oh oh, I forgot The Captain's comment about Aloysius' attitude.

The Captain: You guys know we have already had some ... "complaints" about CS before. *looks at Aloysius*

No, I was not looking at him because of that reason. He moved. The old training never goes away.

Anyway, Aloysius, if they come up here, to stand on your desk, and try to tell you how to do your job, you cannot say "Then don't make me do yours. Now shut up and leave me alone so I can fix your problem."

That one was funny. I did not realize what he meant at first but when it hit me I laughed. 

If you dont get it, them telling Aloysius how to do his job basically amounts to them telling him how to make their job easier. That is the purpose of IT. To make things, firstly possible (fix problems), and secondly, more efficient (manage resources). 

Ugh, I loved that one.

IT majors are just bad programmers (said me, the CS major  :D )

If he was an IT major, I would agree :P. He was a medical technician in the Air Force, and then he went to college (while in the Air Force) for Technical and Military Sciences, and Aerospace Management (whatever that is). So yeah. Self taught I guess?

Well I had a laugh.

Yeah, he is one of those guys who always has a witty comeback.

† Christian Member †