Buying a GTX 980 Ti, but I have FX 6100

so you're telling me that Tomb Raider is not CPU heavy at all but if you install it on a PC with 980ti and overclocked FX6100 and play it - it the Tomb Raider game will run as if it was being played on a PC with R7 270

additionally you have Graves smoking cigar in your avatar

so I ask you - WHAT YOU SMOKE DUDE???

Irrelevant much?

As I said before, that benchmark proves nothing. What's the point of showing CPU benchmarks to prove your point if the game relies on the GPU?

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

so you're telling me that Tomb Raider is not CPU heavy at all but if you install it on a PC with 980ti and overclocked FX6100 and play it - it the Tomb Raider game will run as if it was being played on a PC with R7 270

additionally you have Graves smoking cigar in your avatar

so I ask you - WHAT YOU SMOKE DUDE???

He was using that as emphasis that the 6100 will bottleneck the 980ti to under perform in certain cases. However, with tomb raider being so graphically intensive, you could run it on a E8400 so it´s not really a valid point.

Tomb Raider being more gpu dependent isn´t a rumor... Look at any game that´s cpu and gpu intensive. You´ll see much bigger diffrences.

Not the clearest benchmark, but the 6300´s framerate remains significantly lower than the 3570k´s and the 6700k´s.

you mean look at any game that's made by developers that code with their arse?

ofcourse it will bottleneck in some games but not in the other, the point is you can't just boldly run out and yell - ha ha you have fx6100 all your games will run like crap

now that is just total bullshit

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I'm probably gonna get a good air cooler, like the Hyper 212 Evo, or a average water cooler, like the Seidon 120v. I could get a proper 4.2 Ghz / 4.5 Ghz out of it

Meh, it´ll lower the bottleneck, but I´d still suggest an I5 plus 390.

Irrelevant much?

As I said before, that benchmark proves nothing. What's the point of showing CPU benchmarks to prove your point if the game relies on the GPU?

to show you that not all games are qual and not all games depend on the cpu

the dude said it will run like on 270 and that I can't deny that, I just did

#OutPlayedAndOutSmarted

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

you mean look at any game that's made by developers that code with their arse?

ofcourse it will bottleneck in some games but not in the other, the point is you can't just boldly run out and yell - ha ha you have fx6100 all your games will run like crap

now that is just total bullshit

That´s not what he said? He said it´ll perform like a 270/x, not necessarily meaning in all games. More over implying that it´s just going to under perform in quite a few use scenarios.

Meh, it´ll lower the bottleneck, but I´d still suggest an I5 plus 390.

The thing is that I can't overdue the budget much more. Only about 150 euros over this and that's it. 

He was using that as emphasis that the 6100 will bottleneck the 980ti to under perform in certain cases. However, with tomb raider being so graphically intensive, you could run it on a E8400 so it´s not really a valid point.

no, he clearly said that regardless of anything the build will run like crap and that nobody can deny that

Tomb Raider being more gpu dependent isn´t a rumor... Look at any game that´s cpu and gpu intensive. You´ll see much bigger diffrences.

Not the clearest benchmark, but the 6300´s framerate remains significantly lower than the 3570k´s and the 6700k´s.

it just means he can turn up the settings and run it at higher resolution with the same framerate, I call it a Win

to show you that not all games are qual and not all games depend on the cpu

the dude said it will run like on 270 and that I can't deny that, I just did

#OutPlayedAndOutSmarted

What? We´re aware that not all games are cpu intensive, however likewise not all of them are gpu intensive either. We don´t know what games he´s playing, so the safer bet would be to say get a decent cpu and gpu over a meh cpu and over the top gpu.

it just means he can turn up the settings and run it at higher resolution with the same framerate, I call it a Win

My screen is:

24" BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz

The thing is that I can't overdue the budget much more. Only about 150 euros over this and that's it. 

How much exactly the budget?

The settings were the same across the 3 tests... Still significantly lower frame rates than the others...

What? We´re aware that not all games are cpu intensive, however likewise not all of them are gpu intensive either. We don´t know what games he´s playing, so the safer bet would be to say get a decent cpu and gpu over a meh cpu and over the top gpu.

when you get a decent cpu and a decent GPU, next time you want to upgrade you have get new CPU and new GPU

when you have a meh CPU and over the top GPU you can upgrade by getting a new CPU

I often play CS:GO, H1Z1, DayZ, FIFA 16, GTA 5. I'll probably start playing other things like Battlefront and other upcoming titles like Mirror's Edge 2 and future FIFA's

How much exactly the budget?

I've got enough money for a GTX 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming by Gigabyte, a new acoustic guitar and some other things like a new cooler. I can't really say the exact amount yet.

I often play CS:GO, H1Z1, DayZ, FIFA 16, GTA 5. I'll probably start playing other things like Battlefront and other upcoming titles like Mirror's Edge 2 and future FIFA's

if you're okay with the performance you're getting now then it will only get better with a 980Ti

if you absolutely hate it, then depending on how long you will have to wait to upgrade the CPU, it could be more beneficial to actually go with an i5 and R9 380 or R9 390

because none of those games besides GTA are really graphically... how do you say it... they don't make you WOW

if you're okay with the performance you're getting now then it will only get better with a 980Ti

if you absolutely hate it, then depending on how long you will have to wait to upgrade the CPU, it could be more beneficial to actually go with an i5 and R9 380 or R9 390

because none of those games besides GTA are really graphically... how do you say it... they don't make you WOW

I think DayZ and H1Z1 are very graphical due to the huge maps they have and loads of detail. Aren't the new AMD CPU's coming out soon anyway?

I think DayZ and H1Z1 are very graphical due to the huge maps they have and loads of detail. Aren't the new AMD CPU's coming out soon anyway?

not as soon as we'd like, some say by the end of this year, others say only next year

not as soon as we'd like, some say by the end of this year, others say only next year

So it's not really worth waiting for is it?

H1Z1 and DayZ standalone are some of the most CPU intensive games out there, just because of how badly optimized they are. I use an 8350 + 7970, and I get about 30 (usually less) FPS on H1Z1, yours is less powerful, so expect less. 

I would buy the 980ti, it's a great GPU. Then, immediately start saving for a new CPU. I don't think it's worth it to buy an i5 and a cheaper GPU just so it won't bottleneck, because then if you want an upgrade you'll really be spending some dough. A nice CPU like an i5-4460 will do, since you have some DDR3 lying around it'll help to get Haswell.

I used to be quite active here.

So it's not really worth waiting for is it?

it is not really worth waiting for.

buy now, go ham, go all in

listen to your heart

no, he clearly said that regardless of anything the build will run like crap and that nobody can deny that

When did I say regardless?

The FX6100 is simply going to limit the performance of the 980Ti in quite a few scenarios. Of course it varies from game to game.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

The FX6100 is simply going to limit the performance of the 980Ti in quite a few scenarios. Of course it varies from game to game.

you didn't really say "in some games" either

I know it will bottleneck a few games by a bit, but in about 3 to 5 months, I'll get enough money for a Z170 Gaming 5, 16GB DDR4 and a I7 6700K