can i store my games on a server pc and play them on my gaming pc?

txmgrxce

im wondering if i can store all my games and data on a server pc and play them on my separate gaming pc? would it slow down usage or is it a good suggestion?

im wondering if i can store all my games and data on a server pc and play them on my separate gaming pc? would it slow down usage or is it a good suggestion?

you could try boot from network 

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

Through Steam, I know it definitely works. It doesn't work on Origin though.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It should probably work . Your loading times would probably be a bit slow tho.

@txmgrxce

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

It should work, but loading times might be quite bad

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

You can do it but be prepared for long load times because you'll only be reading from the server at a max of 1Gb/s due to the limitations of ethernet (unless you spent a couple grand on 10gig networking). However that's about 130MB/s which is still a good read speed for a hard drive so if you were loading your games from a hard drive not an ssd anyway it isn't quite so bad. While the bandwidth might not be too different the latency is definitely worse.

Shouldn't be much different than using something like gamestream or steam link...just with your own DIY setup basically. Also, like Godlygamer23 said...some services don't agree with doing that stuff.

What if I direct wire the server to my pc?

You're still limited to ~120MB/s most likely.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I don't think you can install steam games on another PC/server.
Steam will only allow you to install games to local storage mediums.

~Jervi - Jervi systems inc.

Join Jervi and leave your virginity at home!

What if I direct wire the server to my pc?

It should be the same if your routers/switches are good

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I don't think you can install steam games on another PC/server.

Steam will only allow you to install games to local storage mediums.

I disagree. I have a Steam Library on my NAS right now.

Oh, I tried to install games on my NAS a few years back and that didn't work. I guess things have changed.

~Jervi - Jervi systems inc.

Join Jervi and leave your virginity at home!

Oh, I tried to install games on my NAS a few years back and that didn't work. I guess things have changed.

Just to give you proof that I'm telling the truth

post-7355-0-07495700-1453848672_thumb.jp

this. Steam can install on a NAS/server

Just network drive it :P

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

What kind of NAS? I assume low end ones wouldnt work. Could be wrong though. 

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

What kind of NAS? I assume low end ones wouldnt work. Could be wrong though. 

Anything that can be mounted as a network share and mapped in Windows will work. ;)

Source: Running a Steam library from a D-Link DNS-320 ;)

@txmgrxce Yep can be done as others have mentioned. Currently do it myself with steam and origin. I use iSCSI however not a network share but that also works fine too.