Graphics card outside a PC?

NickB

If I get a PCI cable that will stick out if my PC and connect a graphics card to it with a second powersupply that will only be powering it, can that work? Pls don't ask why I'm doing this, thanks.

If I get a PCI cable that will stick out if my PC and connect a graphics card to it with a second powersupply that will only be powering it, can that work? Pls don't ask why I'm doing this, thanks.

That could work.

I7-6700k @ 4.8Ghz, EVGA Z170 Classified, Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8 32 GB, EVGA FTW+ ACX 2.0 GeForce GTX 980ti 6 GB x3, 2Tb WD Black x3, 1Tb Samsung 850 Evo, 400Gb Intel NVME PCIE SSD, Corsair RMx 850w 80+ Gold, Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Brown RGB, SteelSeries Sensei Raw

Should, as long as the PSU can power the GPU and you get one of those little things that allows the PSU to run without being plugged into the MOBO.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Should, as long as the PSU can power the GPU and you get one of those little things that allows the PSU to run without being plugged into the MOBO.

Thats what I was wondering, if the psu had to be connected to the mobo for power regulation

No, you can use a paperclip or one of those bypass adapters.  I would use the latter as the paperclip idea just seems dangerous.

I'm pretty sure that Austin Evans guy did this in the last Scrapyard Wars, not positive but I know he used two PSU's on a single system.  You should check out that video and see.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Thats what I was wondering, if the psu had to be connected to the mobo for power regulation

No, you can use a paperclip or one of those bypass adapters.  I would use the latter as the paperclip idea just seems dangerous.

I'm pretty sure that Austin Evans guy did this in the last Scrapyard Wars, not positive but I know he used two PSU's on a single system.  You should check out that video and see.

Yeah austin used two power supplies for the Graphics Card  and PC but kept the Card inside the PC but they do sell PCI Extentenders you could buy not sure how long they make thoses though. Overall  its a ghetto but viable way to run a GPU with a powersupply that doesnt have enough for the whole system. 

So long as you have the PCB of the GPU isolated and not in contact with anything that will short it you can have a GPU anywhere with a PCIE extender

I can't stop spending money my stupid home lab, help.

it would work but its not recommended cause its pretty ghetto

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

it would work but its not recommended cause its pretty ghetto

As well as the fact that signal interference due to the extension cable may result in some issues. 

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

As well as the fact that signal interference due to the extension cable may result in some issues. 

yeah i dont know why it cant just be in the case  :D

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

yeah i dont know why it cant just be in the case  :D

Case is too small

Case is too small

get a gind tool or get a new case tbh this is a ghetto idea and if u can afford to get a second power supply i would just get a new case